Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone tried Michelin Pilot Sport 4S yet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 01:07 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Anyone tried Michelin Pilot Sport 4S yet?

Time for new street tires for my .1 and curious if anyone has tried the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (Super Sport replacement) in oem 235/35/19 and 305/30/19 sizes yet.

Feedback on grip dry and wet, noise, and ability to drive on the track in a pinch without it falling apart? I'm between these and the Bridgestone RE-71R but I have slicks for the track so I'm leaning towards something with more longevity for street driving.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:21 PM
bergx7
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

I just swapped to the PS4S to give them a try. I have not had on track (I use NT01's) but they feel very similar to PSS on the street (which is to say, very good!). They are good in the rain and feel good on the few back-road dry runs I have made. I would say they are an evolution but nothing mind blowing. The sidewall feels a touch more compliant to me over bumps but without any noticeable increase in flex in the corners. Nice tire and I will continue to buy them as long as they are the same price as PSS.

BTW, shameless plug and you can take the above with a grain of salt but I am selling a set of Pilot Super Sports right now on the forum ($750). PM me for details (or see post below...) I need room in my storage unit...
Old 04-19-2017, 08:38 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Just replaced SS w/ PS4c on my 16' M3. Not much time with them. However they are quieter, and gave the car a better ride quality. Beyond that I can't comment on them as I haven't had a chance to really throw the car around... As bergx7 mentioned, I'm guessing that these are better than SS, which means the best tire on the market, just go better...

I do plan to get them for my RS once the sizes are available 245/325
Old 04-25-2017, 03:14 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Rode in a student's GT4 at Texas World Speedway this weekend. Car felt very planted and lots of grip. I asked him if he had cup2's and he said they were the MP4S. I was shocked. I would guess it's closer to cup 2 level than MPSS but it was a green student and not pushing the car at the limit.

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 04-26-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:26 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

I just put a set on my GT2.I must say I am thrilled with the ride quality! Makes the car livable to drive on the street.Plus if it rains you don’t fear for your life! My GT2 is 99% driven on the street. I run a 6cup car on the track.The car still has great stick on the exit ramps!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:49 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

put 2500 hundred miles on them to, during, and back from the Smokies. Did awesome in fairly heavy rain. Quieter with somewhat better ride on the highway and stuck pretty well in mountain driving. they are on an 11 RS
Old 04-26-2017, 11:08 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

How's the dry grip compared to MPSS and Cup 2?
Old 04-26-2017, 11:13 AM
tasman
Race Car

Dry grip seems a little better than SS but can't comment on cup2s
Old 04-28-2017, 05:20 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts

TASMAN - beautiful .2RS! Great to meet you up there in the woods. It was a bit of a white knuckle drive home on the MPSS's for me - glad it was only to ATL.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:29 PM
tasman
Race Car

Thanks. Good meeting you too. Hope to see you at future Smokies
Old 04-28-2017, 06:16 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove a 997t that has gt2rs power levels. The tires emit less road noise from SS, when tires were cold, they definitely handled better then SS. I didn't push the car therefore can't tell you when going fast. The road was damp , dry - overall i would say good transition between those types of surfaces.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:59 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Wet Grip was unbelievable. I was driving on back roads in a pretty hard rain. The tires really held the road well and had good feedback. I did a launch from a full stop, shocking the amount of wet traction. (M3)
Old 05-01-2017, 09:47 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely my next tire for the c63s, but not quite sure yet if I would swap the Cup2s for them on the 997TT in dry SoCal, even for just street and canyons...and not a DD. The cup2 last for a so much longer time on the street than I would have thought...seems like they went for a harder compound than the 1st gen. Overall, from what I can tell Michelin makes the best performance tires right now with lower priced competition from Nitto, etc. Always up for a better tire though and those cups ain't cheap by any means.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:57 PM
DWNDRAFT
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I have some miles on my MP4S tires now. Freeway driving in heavy rain with no issues. I have not been near the dry grip limit on the streets yet.

I do not notice much road/tire noise.
Must significant I find the ride compliance and comfort.
I can run with PASM in "sport " on our streets, without much discomfort. Very different from the Pzeros I replaced

I run 29/31 pressure right now. (997.2GT3)
Old 05-08-2017, 01:42 PM
TargaFirst
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Put brand new PS4's on the track this past weekend. Drove the wet line all day Saturday, and Sunday morning on the track through snowflurries- temperature at 3 degrees Celsius (38F). Sunday afternoon drove the dry line at 6 degrees Celsius (43F).
Here's my verdict on these tires.
Straight line braking over 190 km/hr on a wet track was perfect- no shimmy, slip, or slide. Transitions into and out of corners were sure footed- especially turn in on sharper corners- no shudder or shake. Given this was a cold, wet track, I felt the tires outperformed my expectations, and as a result, my confidence increased throughout the weekend as I drove longer in cold and wet conditions.
I did have a "moment" with these tires- entered a high speed corner (corner #8 at Mosport, for those of you who know it) and did induce a momentary loss of lateral grip. The car released with a very short, subtle shudder, but steering input still felt positive, and recovery was quick and decisive. I liked the way the tire reacted. I didn't much like how the tire released, with VERY little warning. However, given the PS4's are a SUMMER tire, and that tire temperature probably wasn't high, I'm not blaming Michelin.

Turn in at corners was how this tire shined. Wet or dry, tire reaction was predictable and repeatable, lap after lap. Very confidence inducing, especially in the cold and wet.

Power application was predicable, and I never had the feeling the car was in danger of losing grip under throttle application, especially in the infamous Corner #2.

Overall, I really liked the predictability of these tires, and to be honest, I was able to put grip and tire performance on the back burner and just drive the car to the best of my ability.

FYI, I started the tires at 32 psi cold, and they came off the track at around 36-37 psi.

Before leaving the track, I bumped them to 42 for the drive home.

Quiet tire on the freeway, which is nice.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried Michelin Pilot Sport 4S yet?