Sponsored by:

Input regarding purchase TT, TTS and GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 10:54 PM
Lucid Moment
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Input regarding purchase TT, TTS and GT3

Looking for some input on my next purchase. Previously owned a 996 turbo, modified it quite a bit, regret selling it.

That said I am currently considering a 997.1TT, 997TTS, or a 997.2GT3.
Not looking to start a discussion about which car is better, but I am looking for input from those of you that have owned/own these.

I realize this is the 997TT forum but some of you have probably owned more than 1 of these at some point.

I like a well optioned 997.1TT mainly due to 6MT and Mezger, I think clean examples are going to be a great value in the years to come. Carrara white with red interior is perfect.

The 997 turbo S is a great value for money, quick, well optioned, out of the box already a great car. There are quite a few TTS's produced. I think the a 6MT 997.1TT will be a greater value in the years to come compared to the PDK of the turbo S.

The 997.2 GT3 looks great, finding a well optioned 6MT is the most expensive out of the three. Assuming clean example and not a lot of track time. If I picked up a GT3 i'd probably not track it, or very rarely. However, owning a GT3 is simply cool. Probably the 997.1 GT3 would be a better value over time, but the .2 looks better. Do not know much about the handling of the 2.

I did track the 996TT a couple of times, and although it handled well at the track to my standards, there are probably better possibly less expensive cars.

For my needs, it would be a weekend car, with possible occasional track miles, all cars I am looking at are <40K miles, and the GT3 probably the most expensive out of the 3.

That said I'd like to hear some input from those of you have experienced several of these.

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2017, 06:21 AM
DocHW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a 997.1 gt3 next to my 997.1 turbo at one time. If you are mostly driving on public roads I would get a lightly modded turbo and keep $xx k in your pocket.
Don't get me wrong, the 3 is an epic car, it feels like a race car and pulls almost as hard as a turbo >6000 rpm and if I lived near a track I would still own one. On the street the turbo torque is more fun IMHO.

And I can't do roadtrips with my kids in the 3...

Old 07-24-2017, 08:02 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Owning a gt3 and not tracking it seems like a big waste. fantastic cars but feels like street driving is just boring because its so underutilized. turbo is a very capable machine also but more comfy for the street. sadly i think the turbo is a biy boring on the street also cause your ability to use the acceleration regularly is limited.

What about a nice 9a1 997 carrera s?
Old 07-24-2017, 10:32 PM
Lucid Moment
Rennlist Member

You made that space work pretty good!

I have not thought of anything else besides the above. The very minimum I'd go with a turbo.

Who knows, maybe if I'd get a gt3 I'd frequent the track more?
Old 07-25-2017, 12:22 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I've owned an 07 TT TIP coupe, 09 TT 6MT cab and currently own an 11 TTS. Your instincts are correct. Go with the .2 TT 6MT if you can find one. Can't comment on a GT3. My TTS is great but a little boring-JMO
Old 07-25-2017, 01:50 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Being on the turbo forum I think everyone is going to say Turbo...I also considered a GT3 when looking for a car - in my research, it seemed like a GT3 is more at home on the track, the torque and comfort of a turbo more at home on the street.

When I was looking a comparable 997.1GT3 was considerably more than a turbo and outside my price range, so that made my decision easier.

From a depreciation/appreciation standpoint, seems like the gt3 is a better buy.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:46 PM
Whosdady
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a relatively new TTS owner. I purchased mine in March. Prior to making the purchase I drove the 997.1TT manual, 997.2 TTS and a 997.1 gt3. Most of my previous cars have been manuals.(Stealth, Saleen, Corvette, Supra, etc) My expectations were that I would pick the 997.1 TT manual based on the cost savings alone.

To my surprise, my first pick was a 997.2 gt3 (even though I wasn't able to drive one) I just loved the way it looked. Unfortunately I couldn't find a low mileage car in my price range. Although I made two offers.

After this the choice was clear. The TTS was just that much better. The 3.8 is so much more responsive and the standard features make such difference. As cheap as I am, the extra $15K-$35K was worth it. My GT silver had 18K miles on it and has several nice options like heated/ventilated seats, full leather everything and color matched door pulls and console.

If you enjoy shifting a manual and performance is secondary, than you might feel differently than me. But I would give the pdk a chance. It shifts incredibly quick. Yes, there is less driver involvement but overall performance more than compensates for this. My Old Saleen had more driver involvement than any of the other cars I mentioned on this post. So if this is the most important attribute, you may want to consider other options...
Old 07-25-2017, 04:20 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

997.2TT-S PDK for fast street car

997.2 GT3 for track toy

997TT 6MT for a little of both

Figure out where you are in that spectrum and there you go.

Really you can track all 3 cars and be fine, fun and fast but the GT3 is built for it and buying one for street only is kind of a waste. I've driven GT3 and Turbos on track- The Turbos are very capable on track, similar lap times with equal drivers, but have a different way of going fast. GT3 is precision instrument, it is a scalpel where the Turbo is an ax.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:09 PM
Lucid Moment
Rennlist Member

4ocious - I am surprised the hear the TTS is boring, I've driven a PDK cayman S, and was very impressed with the PDK itself. I'd prefer a 6MT though.

Pricing for the turbo, 'medium' mileage with 6MT can be had for $75K ish.
TTS $90-100
.2 GT3 $110 ^

Whosdady - I agree the .2 gt3 looks fantastic.

theplings- I think the gt3 is definitely a good buy from a depreciation standpoint. Clean examples of the 997tt are probably close to being at the bottom of the depreciation curve, if not already there, and I think they are going to go up from there, last year of the Mezger. Again speaking about the low mileage clean examples. This is just my opinion.

T10Chris- This is the hard part, at this point can't say I am a diehard track fan, but man the gt3 looks soo good. However I think I am going to end up with tts or gen 1 tt. I'd like to own both, but probably not the most logical financial decision at this point

Great input here thanks guys.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:39 PM
john 997tt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you miss the 996tt you should go with the 997tt. Earlier this year I was debating the same thing with similar requirements. I went with the 997.1tt due to the mezger engine and because I'm not planning on doing many track days in it, which I believe the gt3 is meant for. I have done some rallies in it this year and I couldn't be happier with my decision. It is incredibly comfortable when it needs to be and with basic bolt ons can walk away from pretty much anything you'll encounter. Don't get me wrong the gt3 is amazing in it's own right but it needs to be on the track in order to fully enjoy it.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:08 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Had a 996 GT3 and now a 997.1TT. As a street car the TT wins hands down. More comfortable and more mid range torque so you don't have to rev it so much to go quickly. That being said, I miss the naturally aspirated motor, RWD and the sound! I have done the track/race thing and if I got back into it at some point it would be with a dedicated race car with all the safety stuff so the GT3 holds no allure in the that regard. For now, the 997.1 TT is more useable with back seat for my 4 year old which means I get to drive it MUCH more. There will be a GT3 back in the garage at some point but for now the 997TT is a keeper since it is nearing the bottom of the depreciation curve and is still a blast to drive.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:19 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 269 Posts

I'd shop for all three and buy the best one you can find at your price point. Your not going to be disappointed with any of these three.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:03 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

turbo has the torque, better for street
Old 07-27-2017, 02:22 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 70 Posts

Personally I'd go with either the .1tt (especially if you can find an '09), or the GT3. I don't see much appeal in paying more for a .2tt or tts, especially since you enjoy the 6MT. I own the .1tt, but if I didn't have kids would have seriously considered looking for a GT3. (As it is though, like DocHW, I make good use of my back seats...)

Oh, and I do enjoy the top-down driving. But if you're getting a coupe anyway and don't need the back seats, the 3 looks pretty tempting!
Old 07-27-2017, 10:15 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucid Moment
4ocious - I am surprised the hear the TTS is boring, I've driven a PDK cayman S, and was very impressed with the PDK itself. I'd prefer a 6MT though.

Pricing for the turbo, 'medium' mileage with 6MT can be had for $75K ish.
TTS $90-100
.2 GT3 $110 ^

Whosdady - I agree the .2 gt3 looks fantastic.

theplings- I think the gt3 is definitely a good buy from a depreciation standpoint. Clean examples of the 997tt are probably close to being at the bottom of the depreciation curve, if not already there, and I think they are going to go up from there, last year of the Mezger. Again speaking about the low mileage clean examples. This is just my opinion.

T10Chris- This is the hard part, at this point can't say I am a diehard track fan, but man the gt3 looks soo good. However I think I am going to end up with tts or gen 1 tt. I'd like to own both, but probably not the most logical financial decision at this point

Great input here thanks guys.
Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
Personally I'd go with either the .1tt (especially if you can find an '09), or the GT3. I don't see much appeal in paying more for a .2tt or tts, especially since you enjoy the 6MT. I own the .1tt, but if I didn't have kids would have seriously considered looking for a GT3. (As it is though, like DocHW, I make good use of my back seats...)

Oh, and I do enjoy the top-down driving. But if you're getting a coupe anyway and don't need the back seats, the 3 looks pretty tempting!
I can't knock the PDK, it's a great automatic and very capable for daily use. But, it's not as engaging as a 6MT and I really don't feel as connected with TTS as I did with my 09 TT 6MT. I'm looking now and may trade backwards for an 09 TT 6MT coupe.

I don't drive my TTS very much and rely on my 11 CTT (non-PDK 8-speed) for daily use so perhaps I just need more consistent seat time in my TTS to fully appreciate it. But, if you're ever looking for the most capable fun SUV to own and drive look no further than a 958 or later CTT or CTTS. They are incredible!

Quick Reply: Input regarding purchase TT, TTS and GT3