Sponsored by:

Over rev report with icarscan?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 02:20 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 911.Forever
You're onto something now. The dealer reprogramming may have inadvertently created the glitch.
As I mentioned above, Porsche code has bugs inherent to the 997 and I learned the hard way, as did the dealer. After flashing a replacement ignition key, the dealer went through various micro switch replacements but the double horn chirp (car would not lock) problem persisted. Only when another 997 owner coincidentally dropped by to have a second key programmed, did the dealer discover the same error flashed code result: Double honk and vehicle failed to lock. At this point they understood the Porsche code (not sure what Porsche's nomenclature for their ECU flash code is) contained bugs. The dealer has since submitted a letter to Porsche to have the flash code rectified. I need to call the dealer back to determine if this revision has happened, or not. More soon...
Thank You! We should document this separately as I am sure it is going to drive many people crazy as dealers load latest software with bugs. Heck, I am thinking that all of my problems might be related.

I am looking forward to what you find out.

I will not likely take the car to dealer until next year for its annual oil change.

Originally Posted by AreaOne

Since you have the NT-520 there is a workaround for your door lock issue until you can get the problem fixed, program the car for the windows to roll up and down with the key fob then press the lock button to either lock or unlock the car then roll the windows back up or down.
I programmed the windows up via key fob but that is also not working.

What works is, if you lock the car via key twice real fast. It still honks 4 times but eventually lock the doors and successfully arms the car. (red light will start flashing on the dash)

Old 09-18-2018, 06:00 PM
AreaOne
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, I didn’t know that the doors would eventually lock.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:25 AM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got a NT520 Pro the other day. Great tool, easy to program coding functions on the car. I did the side markers, driver's belt chime, multi-function steering wheel and comfort close windows. It also showed me the latest stage 1/2/3 overrevs I put on a few weeks back . Does it do everything a Durametric Pro does? It seems like it but I haven't gone through every setting yet. Can the Durametric enable the display of additional parameters in the instrument cluster?

Dan

Last edited by dprantl; 09-21-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:47 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 354 Posts

Where is everyone getting their NT520 from? Amazon, ebay, direct? Are there multiple "Porsche" versions or just one that covers the entire model range?
Old 09-21-2018, 12:03 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
Where is everyone getting their NT520 from? Amazon, ebay, direct? Are there multiple "Porsche" versions or just one that covers the entire model range?
I got mine on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOXWELL-NT5...pe!30022!US!-1. There's only one Porsche version that covers multiple models.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:36 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If none of our comrades come to your rescue I'll validate for you when I'm back at the AZ house in early Oct. What is the "total distance" delta?
The unit measures in km not miles, even though it may say miles.I noticed that right away and called them, that was their explanation. I tested it on my macan, same thing, reads higher mi, but correlates to km.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:20 AM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Bought my Foxwell NT520 Pro from eBay, but its also available on Amazon now as well. Both are $249. Porsche 911 software comes preloaded; just be certain to select the correct iteration.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:58 AM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Got mine from EBay for $159 shipped pre-loaded with the Porsche software. Bought from "quickshipautoparts"...had it in my hands 3 days after I ordered it.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:55 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TypeRx
Got mine from EBay for $159 shipped pre-loaded with the Porsche software. Bought from "quickshipautoparts"...had it in my hands 3 days after I ordered it.
Yeah, the one I ordered (linked above from fleaybay) was 159. I saw the 249 one but couldnt see any differences between the cheaper one.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:15 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

So I got the NT520 Pro today.

As others have said, a pretty neat little tool. I've only played with it for a few minutes, but the live data includes a lot more values that the Durametric (enthusiast) version, at least the version I have, anyway.
I haven't done any of the coding yet but so far, I'm impressed. It can show raw data (i.e. sensor voltage) as well as sensor value (in whatever unit applies)

There are a few quirks, as logging ignition angle seems to out-of-range occasionally, and the values it was showing for Camshaft deviation (one bank looked correct at 0.6, the the other bank showed something like 34? Probably a data conversion issue, as some have reported with it reporting miles but in reality the data was in KM. I haven't looked at the setup yet to see if there is a way to change the units.

No need to the $249 version seen on some websites (amazon, I believe, and possibly ebay), this $159 one from ebay works fine and has all the features.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:52 PM
Rengoku
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone with the Foxwell N520 Pro know whether it can disable/enable the rear spoiler wing?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2018, 07:56 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

THis may be worth it to me just for the seat-belt chime disable..
lol...I thought the same thing...seems like a bargain for $160....Porsche has an "I am serious, buckle your damn seatbelt" chime/alarm. I half expect a hand to emerge from the dash and give me a good slap to the face. My luck I would get one that doesn't work though....we had an entire program at LMCO to ensure no Chinese electronics/chips weaseled there way into any of our products, for obvious reasons.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:31 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

You're onto something now. The dealer reprogramming may have inadvertently created the glitch.
As I mentioned above, Porsche code has bugs inherent to the 997 and I learned the hard way, as did the dealer. After flashing a replacement ignition key, the dealer went through various micro switch replacements but the double horn chirp (car would not lock) problem persisted. Only when another 997 owner coincidentally dropped by to have a second key programmed, did the dealer discover the same error flashed code result: Double honk and vehicle failed to lock. At this point they understood the Porsche code (not sure what Porsche's nomenclature for their ECU flash code is) contained bugs. The dealer has since submitted a letter to Porsche to have the flash code rectified. I need to call the dealer back to determine if this revision has happened, or not. More soon...
Hi Forever, I was wondering if you were able to get any updates from the dealer with regards to key programming and double honks?

Just following up.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:11 PM
atm4jim
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I recently swapped my steering wheel to a 991.2 GT style wheel with multifunction. I was fully expecting to have to go to the Dealer with PIWIS to enable the multifunction. But I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to successfully enable it with my Foxwell NT-520 and got it working! This feature on this tool alone paid for itself.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:37 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atm4jim
I recently swapped my steering wheel to a 991.2 GT style wheel with multifunction. I was fully expecting to have to go to the Dealer with PIWIS to enable the multifunction. But I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to successfully enable it with my Foxwell NT-520 and got it working! This feature on this tool alone paid for itself.
Please provide details and pics!!!

Quick Reply: Over rev report with icarscan?