Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather care

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 12:17 PM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Porsche leather may or may not have a urethane coating as far as I read.. can’t find 100%
The “second hide” leather used in some furniture etc has the urethane coating as well as some automotive leather.
Some cars use a vinyl coating on the leather to help against dirt, stains, and uv damage. From what I’ve read the vinyl top coat is still somewhat pourous(not anywhere as close to true untreated natural leather though). Leatherique specifically says that their products work to clean, condition and soften MB Tex vinyl (Mercedez version).....
For anyone who’s actually used it and used it right it works amazing(every time I’ve used it) and has protective properties in it to help keep clean and prevent uv damage. The pristine clean can even be used on plastics and rubber and works great on those.
That being said, due to the coating basic cleaning methods can and do work, unless the leather is in need of more or you like the way leatherique works better. I’ll have to check out the bowdens products.
Who knows what to really use or not use. So many differing opinions out there.

As as far as the trash bags go..... thanks for helping the criminals out there in their dumping! Hahaha.
Good to know though. Haven’t every looked for a serial number.

Last edited by Kayaknfly; 10-22-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:15 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Alapor
I read the reviews. Most said it was great, but it left the leather stick and tacky. Have the guys who have used it experienced this?

Love Zymoil for basic car care, good stuff.
Originally Posted by TBarrow
It will if not removed properly. Follow the directions and it works great. The second part is great for spot cleaning and touch ups.
Originally Posted by TBarrow
Careful with garbage bags. They now have serial numbers usually as a blue dot matrix style and if placed towards the leather it will bleed onto and stain the leather. The serial numbers are for police tracking in the event something is dumped in them to narow it down.
Thanks from all of us. Useful. Edited my post.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:01 PM
Duckstu
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayaknfly
Porsche leather may or may not have a urethane coating as far as I read.. can’t find 100%

All leather in cars today has the urethane coating. With a few rare exceptions.

One of which is the "NATURAL LEATHER" option from Porsche. Such as my friend's white 997 Turbo with the Terracotta Natural Leather interior. It actually smells like leather in his car.

You CANNOT condition leather with a urethane coating. IT WILL NOT SOAK IN ! It will just sit on top, be greasy, attract grit, and damage the UV protection that the urethane provides.

You can reduce the greasiness of it by removing it all after application,.. but what's the point of that?

If you have the natural leather interior,.. condition with a product like leatherique. If you have full leather or partial leather (as in a non turbo car without that option),.. you just clean it with soap and water or a vinly cleaner.

Last edited by Duckstu; 10-23-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:40 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Agree 100%. Just wipe with a damp cloth and a diluted cleaner. The other topic is wax. A million formulas for wax. Latest nonsense is the coatings. I stick with plain carnuba wax. Owned my car since 2010, been waxed once. Kept in an air conditioned garage with a Porsche cover.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:32 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree that the vast majority of auto leathers in the past 20 years are coated and that leather conditioners are unnecessary (my comments are related to coated leather). A thorough cleaning will really help reduce the appearance of wrinkles, etc. in leather as many times it is the accumulated dirt/grease that amplifies the wrinkle existence. In addition, it is dirt/grime that will most rapidly deteriorate your leather, so keep the seats clean. A damp cloth wipe down with every car wash is good...a deep cleaning every 6 months is even better. I like to a steaming tool to really clean things out.

After things are clean, you can choose to condition if you absolutely want. It can leave a temporary scent you like and will temporarily add some "softness" to the leather as your post-application buff probably hasn't removed all of it. Also, any conditioner that sits in the creases/cracks will reduce their appearance temporarily. HOWEVER, the oils in conditioners will attract dirt and, as stated above, this is the #1 enemy of your leather. Another option post-clean is to use a "protectant" product. I like Optimum Leather Protectant / Leather Protectant Plus. It is not a conditioner but provides the aesthetic benefits of a conditioner while also leaving behind a sacrificial layer that repels dirt/stains/UV damage for a period of time.

In the end, using a leather cleaner and conditioner isn't likely to do harm, but you are generally just wasting product if you use it on coated leather.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:48 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Chemical guys has a product that Walmart sells $10. It smells fabulous! Closest smell to new leather. It’s amazing! Give it a try I bet once you use it, you will post here. The best thing is when you pull up in that Porsche, you are number one! What a great feeling to standout amongst you peers. Also, McDonald’s just inside, eat them fries don’t worry about them oils. They won’t “penetrate” that urethane protected leather!
Old 10-24-2018, 09:02 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried Leatherique on my 993 seats. I must not have done it right because they were sticky ever since. I would be very cautious using any product. The only thing that I've found safe is 303. It does nothing for the feel of the leather, but adds UV protection.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:17 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
I tried Leatherique on my 993 seats. I must not have done it right because they were sticky ever since. I would be very cautious using any product. The only thing that I've found safe is 303. It does nothing for the feel of the leather, but adds UV protection.
I think you did something wrong! Mine come out looking like they just left the factory
Old 10-24-2018, 01:56 PM
gary1101
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

I used Leatherique on my black 993 seats and they came out incredible looking. As mentioned above pre-clean, then use conditioner solution, then cleaner solution, then wipe-up. I dyed the bolsters and scuff marks. After letting the car sit in the sun for the day and then wiped everything down. Let it sit longer than the directions say. No sticking or tackiness. I also did the steering wheel with the steering wheel kit. Again it took longer to dry than the directions said but it came out great. (actually a bit more sheen than I wanted but much better than before).

Last edited by gary1101; 10-24-2018 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-26-2018, 10:12 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
You need to use a lot of the second step Pristine Clean to get the oily first stage of Leatherique off. I’d say you need at least twice the amount of the second chemical as the first.

That said it’s such a huge messy hassle, I’ve only done the full process a couple of times. You need to be really careful not to let the gunk drip down onto the carpeting. Maybe even remove the seats altogether.

Quick Reply: Leather care