Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Streaming Simplified

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 11:44 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by gbakerge
Thxbuff2001-proceed as Jose and Brains have indicated. Also make sure to read the 997 Forum thread: “LAPower bluetooth”, there are 17 pages or so, but very comprehensive. Based on all the research I have done, if you have a cd changer in the frunk, the method I posted is simpler and just as effective. If you do not have a cd changer, then your options are to pull out the PCM and wire accordingly.

Brainz-great question. The wireless mic is battery operated, so the batteries will need to be changed periodically. Installing in the frunk and going wireless prevents having to run any wires from the frunk to the cockpit. This is a huge timesaver during installation. You may also want to refer to the thread mentioned above as there are many comparisons between Dension and the LAPower unit in terms of ease of use and sound quality.

The LAPower unit is $148 and the wireless mic is $35.

Thanks - - that all makes sense.

If I didn't already own the Dension (from a prior install) I'd have bought the LAPower unit. I've read the long thread and it seems way more stable/simpler than my Dension. I may still bite the bullet and get the LAPower unit as I could swap it with my Dension in less than 30 mins at this point. I've become a pro at removing the PCM.

Also, I forget who said it first, but pro tip: if you're reinstalling the PCM, turn the hex screws on the sides of the PCM before you push it back in the dash. The tabs on the PCM are spring loaded and doing this will save you the hassle of otherwise struggling to fit an allen wrench in the gap.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:28 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose Rivas
I did this behind the headunit. you just loop the optical cables to have the input go into the Bluetooth box and out to the unit and the one that is marked output goes into the headunit as normal.
hope that make seance. I can try to take pictures if requested.
Also, if your car is not programmed to have a CD changer, you will need to enable that functionality with a diagnostic tool that supports it or have it done at the dealer.

Dan
Old 11-09-2018, 12:57 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by gbakerge
Thxbuff2001-proceed as Jose and Brains have indicated. Also make sure to read the 997 Forum thread: “LAPower bluetooth”, there are 17 pages or so, but very comprehensive. Based on all the research I have done, if you have a cd changer in the frunk, the method I posted is simpler and just as effective. If you do not have a cd changer, then your options are to pull out the PCM and wire accordingly.

Brainz-great question. The wireless mic is battery operated, so the batteries will need to be changed periodically. Installing in the frunk and going wireless prevents having to run any wires from the frunk to the cockpit. This is a huge timesaver during installation. You may also want to refer to the thread mentioned above as there are many comparisons between Dension and the LAPower unit in terms of ease of use and sound quality.

The LAPower unit is $148 and the wireless mic is $35.

Great post...mine has the CD changer so this looks like a very simple option...appreciate the heads up.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:10 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dprantl
Also, if your car is not programmed to have a CD changer, you will need to enable that functionality with a diagnostic tool that supports it or have it done at the dealer.

Dan
So without a CD changer this would not work out of the box?
Old 11-09-2018, 06:26 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001

So without a CD changer this would not work out of the box?
If you read through all the forum reports, the results are mixed. Some report success without a CDC, others report having to get the dealer to code the CDC to the PCM using PIWIS.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:49 PM
cjoy911
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got this installed recently, thanks OP. Sound quality was way better than the iPod adapter that came from the previous owner. Install was easy so long as you know the concept of fiber optic loops.

I do get a system error for 'phone not available'. After confirming the error prompt, works fine, just an annoying message every time you start the car.

Some other notes: the previous owner of my car had a NAV-tv module that had the iPod cable connection and a Parrot module (hands free phone device with mic). My CD changer in the frunk was already bypassed. I had to remove the NAV-tv from the loop because it would randomly pick-up/search for an iPod connection. But after removing it was also when the system error started popping up. Do I need to re-program the PCM some how since the modules in the loop has changed (removed NAV-tv and added the LAPower module)?
Old 03-30-2019, 01:10 AM
ThunderRolls
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

How are you keeping that wireless mic system powered?
Old 03-30-2019, 10:19 AM
gbakerge
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 78 Posts

It is battery operated. Since 90% of my driving is 60 minutes or less, I actually rarely turn it on. If I am going to be out for longer I turn it on so I can speak hands free if I get a call.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:14 PM
Carrera9930
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for Bluetooth solution in 2007 Turbo. Are you still satisfied? Do you have Bose in your car? Thanks

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Streaming Simplified