Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 Turbo - E85 (bad fuel?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 12:48 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts

This is an interesting thread. Lots to learn about E85! Sounds a bit like a crap-shoot in terms of what you get at any given pump. Big power has its risks I suppose.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:00 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bogey1
This is an interesting thread. Lots to learn about E85! Sounds a bit like a crap-shoot in terms of what you get at any given pump. Big power has its risks I suppose.
not really. if you dont have the ability to adjust the tune on the fly you simply run a lower e85 file say a safe e60 file. or use a proven station like i do. thortons fuel never lets me down even though my setup tunes on the fly
Old 01-01-2019, 09:46 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
not really. if you dont have the ability to adjust the tune on the fly you simply run a lower e85 file say a safe e60 file. or use a proven station like i do. thortons fuel never lets me down even though my setup tunes on the fly

Exactly. My “E85” tune is actually based on E60. There are only small gains in power over E50 or so on most street car setups so making absolutely sure you have E80+ and the tune for it makes little difference unless you’re racing for records.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:06 PM
pressure ratio
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
If you reread my post you'll see I said the Sunoco Rep stated the none ethanol portion of E85 was the bottom of the barrel low octane "gasoline". Not sure where you pulled "ethanol" out of, possibly thin air.

I apologize. My reading comprehension was not very good there. Eating lunch and distracted at work was not the best time to read and send a reply.

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
using a tube testor really doesnt work well since its only testing a very small sample of a potential 500 gal tank. your basically testing whats in the hose. inline analyzer only test whats in the tank and you already have it in the car. the only way to absolutely know what the content of the fuel is would be to buy it in 55 gal barrels then test the barrel. ignite fuels has the most consistent fuel on the market
Although I agree about the test tube tester is only taking a small sample out of a huge tank, it still warns me if it tests out at a low mixture. Mainly if I was on a road trip or away from the stations I normally fill up at and are known to be good. And again, your inline sensor is not without issues either. It has issues with reading correctly due issues with water in E85. Having an incorrect reading in a flex-fuel set up can be hazardous to your engine as well.

I use mainly Thortons as well. Whenever I am there filling up, there is another car or two filling up that is a performance car. These stations sell a lot of e85 and they get tested with the test tube as well as the inline sensor in stand-alone gauges. Info that people share on local car sites. It is nice to have constant samples. It is also interesting that Thorntons' E85 seems to be pretty solid all year round. But pump e85 definitely poses some concerns that anyone should discuss with their tuner. Being on the same page as your tuner is important.

And yes, If you want to have an aggressive tune and track the car or do highway pulls that way, a drum of E85 from a supplier is going to be the most consistent and safe. Cheap insurance but a lot of people don't want a 55 gallon drum of fuel in their garages. But some sell down to 15 and 5 gallon pails if that works better for people. Many speed shops and some hobby shops have good options for e85. You just might have to plan ahead and order it as they might not stock it.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:49 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Originally Posted by pressure ratio

Although I agree about the test tube tester is only taking a small sample out of a huge tank, it still warns me if it tests out at a low mixture. Mainly if I was on a road trip or away from the stations I normally fill up at and are known to be good. And again, your inline sensor is not without issues either. It has issues with reading correctly due issues with water in E85. Having an incorrect reading in a flex-fuel set up can be hazardous to your engine as well.

I use mainly Thortons as well. Whenever I am there filling up, there is another car or two filling up that is a performance car. These stations sell a lot of e85 and they get tested with the test tube as well as the inline sensor in stand-alone gauges. Info that people share on local car sites. It is nice to have constant samples. It is also interesting that Thorntons' E85 seems to be pretty solid all year round. But pump e85 definitely poses some concerns that anyone should discuss with their tuner. Being on the same page as your tuner is important.

And yes, If you want to have an aggressive tune and track the car or do highway pulls that way, a drum of E85 from a supplier is going to be the most consistent and safe. Cheap insurance but a lot of people don't want a 55 gallon drum of fuel in their garages. But some sell down to 15 and 5 gallon pails if that works better for people. Many speed shops and some hobby shops have good options for e85. You just might have to plan ahead and order it as they might not stock it.
for me i run a proefi 128 standalone engine management that constantly moniters ethanol levels and adjusts the files accordingly. so no matter the pump fuel i run the computer adjusts for it. and im lucky enough to have a shop close to me that stocks ignite fuel by the 55 gal drum in e98 and e115. i just carry my 5 gal cans there and fill up! more expensive but at the track theres no substitute

Old 01-07-2019, 09:01 AM
Gate
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As many European I would never put anything below sp 95, 98 in a sophisticated car as a TT. Don’t know if the motor is modified in Us to accept this quality of gaz?
Old 01-07-2019, 03:27 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gate
As many European I would never put anything below sp 95, 98 in a sophisticated car as a TT. Don’t know if the motor is modified in Us to accept this quality of gaz?
first and foremost its an engine. nothing really sophisticated about it. a huge air pump. second good quality e85 equals 110 octane race fuel better than any pump fuel on the market and has almost zero detonation runs cooler and produces more power than pump gas.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:03 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like Gate is talking about regular gasoline octane in Europe which is 95 and 98. This discussion is about ethanol fuels, not regular gasoline...

Dan

Quick Reply: 997.1 Turbo - E85 (bad fuel?)