Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will 991 GT3 center lock wheels fit on a 997 TURBO ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 09:30 AM
tgdesign
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will 991 GT3 center lock wheels fit on a 997 TURBO ???

Hi Gents

I have a 997 turbo but I am looking to change the wheels too the ones off a 991 GT3 with center locks, the question is will they fit

Been center locks you can't use spacers well I don't think you can?

Has anyone on here done it or seen it done before, I know you will need 20" all round as 21" on the rear will mess the 4wd diff up.

Will the offsets work? will the front shocks hit the rim, will the arches need rolling?

Any input welcome.

Cheers Tim
Old 02-19-2019, 09:45 PM
mobilegun
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tgdesign
Hi Gents

I have a 997 turbo but I am looking to change the wheels too the ones off a 991 GT3 with center locks, the question is will they fit

Been center locks you can't use spacers well I don't think you can?

Has anyone on here done it or seen it done before, I know you will need 20" all round as 21" on the rear will mess the 4wd diff up.

Will the offsets work? will the front shocks hit the rim, will the arches need rolling?

Any input welcome.

Cheers Tim
Do it and let me know
I've wondered the same thing. dont think the offsets are right but I like those wheels and wish it would.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:12 PM
keithrobinson
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you do it? Any photos?
Old 04-29-2019, 02:52 PM
tgdesign
Track Day

Talking

Not Yet, I have 2 rear wheels & my name on a center wheel lock kit I know of. The fronts are going to be the issue, they may rub on the shock, my pal has put 991 sports classics on his C4s but he added a spacers.
They look really cool.
I will put a post up when done
Old 04-29-2019, 05:09 PM
gsxrjjordan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

By my notes, 997 turbo S centerlocks are 19x8.5 +56 and 19x11 +51, and 991 GT3RS wheels are 20x9.5 +50 and 21x12.5 +48.
That puts the fronts about 1/4" more aggressive (wheel/tire towards the outside of the car) with about 3/4" more wheel towards the shock, and the rears a bit more aggressive (about 3/8") with just over an inch extra clearance needed on the inside.

From how 'sunk' 997 RS Spyder wheels look on my Turbo S, I think the GT3RS wheels would "look/fit" great, assuming there's that extra clearance on the inside.
I'm not sure about the overall diameters though (stock tires go from a 26.2" tall rear tire to a 28.7" rear tire) or the difference in diameters front to rear. Remember none of the GT cars are AWD, so relative tire diameters don't matter for them. Stock Turbos/Turbo S's have ~2% larger rear tires, GT3RS has 5% larger rear tires. Rumored to cause accelerated front diff wear, not sure if that's significant.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:09 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Is the AWD system so ultrasensitive to circumference differences that a change of 1-2% is out of spec ? The OEM sizes are off by 2.7%

1. As long as any changes to the front and rear equal - it shouldn't be an issue. E.g. both front and rear tires increase by 1% in circumference. and they maintain the same 2.7% difference from OEM?

Another way to look at it. You somehow (flats/sidewall punctures) end up with brand new fronts that have 12/32 in tread depth and your rears are now at 4/32. These tires would have a 6mm difference or about 1% just on tread depth alone.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:33 PM
gsxrjjordan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
Is the AWD system so ultrasensitive to circumference differences that a change of 1-2% is out of spec ? The OEM sizes are off by 2.7%
1. As long as any changes to the front and rear equal - it shouldn't be an issue. E.g. both front and rear tires increase by 1% in circumference. and they maintain the same 2.7% difference from OEM?
Another way to look at it. You somehow (flats/sidewall punctures) end up with brand new fronts that have 12/32 in tread depth and your rears are now at 4/32. These tires would have a 6mm difference or about 1% just on tread depth alone.
I personally wouldn't imagine the front diffs are *that* sensitive, just raising the concern (I did the same math and figured it'd be a larger difference).
If 21" tire choices weren't so limited, I'd have already tried this haha - I want something better than PS4's and don't like Cup2's, and that's about it.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:53 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One manufacturers 235/35-19 is not going to have the same physical measurements as 235/35-19 from another manufacturer. You should check the actual measurements. Tire Rack has all that info on their site.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:36 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

A knowledgable person looked at my earlier post and PM'd this in response - I am going to see if Porsche has a spec.

"Your logic looks correct to me. The car doesn't really work in absolutes when it comes to the AWD system, meaning it won't really care if the rolling circumference is changed by 10% as long as both the front and rear are changed by about the same amount - the speedometer won't be accurate, but you won't damage anything. So it would be possible to mix different diameter wheels as long as the tires mounted on those wheels end up with a similar rolling circumference differential to the stock setup on the car. I'm sure there's some magic number or percentage that shouldn't be exceeded or it results in issues with the differential or transfer case and I don't know what that is, but as you stated, with the stock setup, it's 2.7% so that amount of front to rear difference seems totally fine.

Also mentioned in that thread - you cannot use spacers with centerlock wheels as the CL wheels have little pockets on the back that mate with the locking pins or knubs on the hub to prevent the wheel from rotating independently from the the hub - the CL nut just locks the wheel tight against the hub and on these pins. BTW, these pins or whatever they're called are a wear item with a service life and have a PM schedule I believe, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head."

Quick Reply: Will 991 GT3 center lock wheels fit on a 997 TURBO ???