Sponsored by:

Coolant pipes failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 04:00 PM
charlie1
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Coolant pipes failure

I've read a lot of the threads on the coolant pipe issues on our cars. I was wondering what is the lowest mileage that coolant pipe failure has been experienced on a 997 Turbo. I have a 2007 that has 7,200 miles and never seen a track or driver ed. It's just a weekend car for me. It looks like a serious and expensive issue and was wondering if it's something that should be addressed now. Thanks for your input .
Old 02-27-2019, 04:16 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts

Most people will tell you that it is more of a timing issue than mileage. Others will tell you that lower mileage cars are even higher risk.

I also have a 07 TT with 6,000 miles and I watch it very closely and carefully. I have a lift at home so monitoring is a bit easier after each drive.

If you are planning on keeping the car it is a great piece of mind to get them pinned. I am not quite sure what to do with mine yet.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:40 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by TTG
If you are planning on keeping the car it is a great piece of mind to get them pinned. I am not quite sure what to do with mine yet.
I'd say you need to drive it more, at only 500 miles/year since new, that's quite the museum piece...

j/k, of course.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:07 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by saabin
I'd say you need to drive it more, at only 500 miles/year since new, that's quite the museum piece...

j/k, of course.
I totally agree! I am thinking I might be ready for another museum piece and let this one go. I have been looking at 991 TTS' lately.

Dropping the engine to do the coolant lines on a car like this gives me the shivers! But then we have one of the best shops in the nation here in Seattle that would do the work, if I decide to keep the darn thing.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:09 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie1
I've read a lot of the threads on the coolant pipe issues on our cars. I was wondering what is the lowest mileage that coolant pipe failure has been experienced on a 997 Turbo. I have a 2007 that has 7,200 miles and never seen a track or driver ed. It's just a weekend car for me. It looks like a serious and expensive issue and was wondering if it's something that should be addressed now. Thanks for your input .
My guess is heat and time are the major culprit, but time and the Porsche coolant that enjoys making plastic parts brittle, silicone gaskets decay, and breaks down the adhesive properties of the tube glue. Not sure I would be concerned at that low mileage. My guess is that the Porsche coolant contains 2-EHA that is bad for plastics and such.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:13 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 996 Turbo that was track prepped and did 4 HPDE's per year as well as a 996 GT3 that replaced the turbo. I ran in the yellow solo group and drove both cars as they were meant to be driven. The turbo had 37k miles when I sold it and the GT3 around 28k miles. Never had an issue with loosing coolant. My current car has had the lines pinned buy prior owner. The guy that bought my GT3 I believe had the lines pinned soon after.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:38 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Pretty sure I saw someone on the internet say they had a coolant pipe leak develop around the 25k-mile mark. It seems like anecdotally it pops up more in the 50-70k-mile range.

It probably used to be based on use/heat cycles, but now that they're up to 12 years old, time and general drying out probably contributes a lot more.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:17 PM
Dburrell
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TTG
I totally agree! I am thinking I might be ready for another museum piece and let this one go. I have been looking at 991 TTS' lately.

Dropping the engine to do the coolant lines on a car like this gives me the shivers! But then we have one of the best shops in the nation here in Seattle that would do the work, if I decide to keep the darn thing.
Cantrell? If i spelt that right. Im near seattle too looking at hopefully buying a 997 this year.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:48 AM
TTG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dburrell
Cantrell? If i spelt that right. Im near seattle too looking at hopefully buying a 997 this year.
Yes, sir and you did spell it right.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:07 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speaking of coolant pipe failure, the 996TT shares at least the adhesive portion of this coolant problem and one 996TT made it to 383,000 miles (some portion of those were track miles) without any leaks.

Dan
Old 03-01-2019, 08:05 AM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

It’s a crap shoot and age only increases the odds. My car only has 32k miles but I elected to go ahead and weld the fittings and replace all of the coolant hoses (and the water pump among other things). Car will be ready next week. I am planning to take my car on a 2000 mile drive out west this summer and I will have peace of mind that I won’t be stranded with a leak or a blown engine due to a fitting coming loose. Mezger engines are pretty robust but coolant leaks are pretty common on these cars and age is not our friend.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:55 AM
Cubes
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Pretty sure I saw someone on the internet say they had a coolant pipe leak develop around the 25k-mile mark. It seems like anecdotally it pops up more in the 50-70k-mile range.

It probably used to be based on use/heat cycles, but now that they're up to 12 years old, time and general drying out probably contributes a lot more.
^ this...
the hose that gave me the issue had nothing to do with the pipes and was just dried out and cracked. I went ahead a pinned them while "in there". I'd say if you have the option to check frequently and dont do any road trips or anything too far outside town (which by the mileage you just move the car in and out of the driveway...lol j/k) you can wait until it happens.
In my case I wanted to take a 10hr road trip and was not doing it until they were pinned.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:33 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Has nothing to do with mileage, it’s years.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:40 PM
kjresener
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My ‘09 TT has 69,700 miles on it and has just started weeping some coolant down the passenger side of the motor. It only appears on the floor after the car has been parked for a week or two without being driven. Can’t see where it’s coming from as it’s trickling down from up above the motor, as it appears. When driven I can smell the coolant burning, but it doesn’t appear on the floor until it’s sat for a week plus. Hasn’t yet triggered a low coolant light so it’s very minor but I have an appointment to have the motor pulled and replace hoses, pin the lines, etc. I don’t want to worry about anything suddenly going out and causing a larger issue. Not sure if it’s the pipes or a hose yet but something is going on.

Last edited by kjresener; 03-01-2019 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:21 PM
atm4jim
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kjresener
My ‘09 TT has 69,700 miles on it and has just started weeping some coolant down the passenger side of the motor. It only appears on the floor after the car has been parked for a week or two without being driven. Can’t see where it’s coming from as it’s trickling down from up above the motor, as it appears. When driven I can smell the coolant burning, but it doesn’t appear on the floor until it’s sat for a week plus. Hasn’t yet triggered a low coolant light so it’s very minor but I have an appointment to have the motor pulled and replace hoses, pin the lines, etc. I don’t want to worry about anything suddenly going out and causing a larger issue. Not sure if it’s the pipes or a hose yet but something is going on.
I wonder if it might be leaking from the turbo coolant lines. My passenger side had a small leak that appeared only after letting it cool and sit overnight. It was resolved by replacing the o-rings on the metal coolant turbo lines. The old o-rings were brittle and dried up.

Quick Reply: Coolant pipes failure