Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code the car from the hydraulic wing to static. Any tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 08:08 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code the car from the hydraulic wing to static. Any tricks?

I recently went with a Aerokit Style engine cover and the dealer initially tells me it will be $437 to not get that "spoiler failure" warning beep every time the car goes over and below 75 mph. I clarified with them and told them all I needed was the coding from PIWIS and everything else was already changed plug and play such as a new loom with out the hydraulics. They said Oh just coding will be $175.00. Well $155 and 20 min later no change so I tell them it didn't take and they tell me "these things are never simple, we will need to get into the wiring and spend some time on it". The next day after I cool off I tell them I want it done again by another more experienced tech and they tell me ok. That's tomorrow, but, I'm just wondering if there is an off chance why just coding wouldn't get my car to a static rear spoiler.

Funny thing is I bought a 11 997.2 TTS back in 2014 and the prior owner had a factory Aerokit put on after the fact so the car had the spoiler button but it was disabled so this obviously can be done.

Let me know if I am missing something?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 05-21-2019, 08:16 PM
ctony66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I turned mine off with the durametric pro.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:36 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Was that Porsche San Antonio? I'm thinking their PIWIS guy just isn't very good because when they coded my PCM 3.0 replacement unit it didn't stick either. Currently only CD/radio/aux works. I haven't bothered to go back to have them try again yet since I don't use the nav/Sirius much anyway, but kind of annoying.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:38 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Was that Porsche San Antonio? I'm thinking their PIWIS guy just isn't very good because when they coded my PCM 3.0 replacement unit it didn't stick either. Currently only CD/radio/aux works. I haven't bothered to go back to have them try again yet since I don't use the nav/Sirius much anyway, but kind of annoying.
Sure is. Nice to hear a Durametric pro can do it. But mine is the enthusiest.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:54 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Tom
i had an Indy fo mine with the pwis took maybe 5 min no charge. I have the same cable, same deck, same year car.....it’s the tech.
Try an Indy
chris
Old 05-21-2019, 11:55 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Btw, car looks fantastic!
well done!
Old 05-22-2019, 10:57 AM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Tom
i had an Indy fo mine with the pwis took maybe 5 min no charge. I have the same cable, same deck, same year car.....it’s the tech.
Try an Indy
chris

I don't know any Indy's with PIWIS in San Antonio. The only indy shop I know used Durametric Pro.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:58 AM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Btw, car looks fantastic!
well done!
Thank you Chris! Now just to get the Carrara White painted Turbo Badge put back on next week. Then I should be all done.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:23 PM
wcarson
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Spolier

When I converted my 997.1TT to a fixed rear spoiler, the local dealership was going to charge me around $150 for a 5 minute session with the PIWIS. That's ridiculous......so I upgraded my enthusiast Durametric to the professional one and did it myself. You can contact Durametrics and get some credit for your enthusiast version to apply towards upgrading to the professional one.

Your car looks awesome BTW!
Old 05-22-2019, 09:36 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts

That cost is ridiculous. When I went to my Indy shop to do my work, we knew one of the local Porsche technicians. Paid him $50 after work and met him. 5 minutes later done. Also coded out my PASM when I went coilovers the same way. Some technicians don't know where the coding is located to make this change. Even the guy I was working with we had to dig into it to find it. It's not in the most logical location. I am attaching a picture I found on the forum and showed it to my technician. Otherwise we would have been hunting around for a while. Hope this helps.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2019, 09:39 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by wcarson
When I converted my 997.1TT to a fixed rear spoiler, the local dealership was going to charge me around $150 for a 5 minute session with the PIWIS. That's ridiculous......so I upgraded my enthusiast Durametric to the professional one and did it myself. You can contact Durametrics and get some credit for your enthusiast version to apply towards upgrading to the professional one.

Your car looks awesome BTW!

Yes thanks! Already tracking that direction. They said they’d give me $217 credit for mine. Weird thing is mine has zero Vins stored on it. Even though I’ve used it many times on my car. Thanks!

How difficult was it to do?
Old 05-22-2019, 09:41 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by Dguth
That cost is ridiculous. When I went to my Indy shop to do my work, we knew one of the local Porsche technicians. Paid him $50 after work and met him. 5 minutes later done. Also coded out my PASM when I went coilovers the same way. Some technicians don't know where the coding is located to make this change. Even the guy I was working with we had to dig into it to find it. It's not in the most logical location. I am attaching a picture I found on the forum and showed it to my technician. Otherwise we would have been hunting around for a while. Hope this helps.

Huge help! Thanks very much. Tom
Old 05-23-2019, 02:42 AM
wcarson
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by tguaturbo
Yes thanks! Already tracking that direction. They said they’d give me $217 credit for mine. Weird thing is mine has zero Vins stored on it. Even though I’ve used it many times on my car. Thanks!

How difficult was it to do?
Using Durametrics it was really easy. It’s been a while so I don’t remember the specifics, but it was very easy to do- as I recall there is a module for the rear deck lid that was very easy to find. It took about 2 minutes.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:59 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Hilarious that you have to show your technician the notes. However.....they follow the technical books. It’s unlikely that they would know right of the gate. I have both systems and find the Durametric much easier to navigate, perform tests and code certain “common” things in or out. TPMS, Side blinkers are the most common. In fact, I have completely disabled my TPMS system. Not because my sensors are bad, it’s just useless. If you are not familiar with Porsche’s systems architecture, it’s will be difficult to navigate with Durametric and worse with PIWIS. Our cars are complicated because of the German way. Expect PIWIS to be the same, complicated like a labyrinth expect to get lost and if not careful, damage to modules etc.

Quick Reply: Code the car from the hydraulic wing to static. Any tricks?