Sponsored by:

Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 12:59 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Coilovers

I’m having quite a journey with my 997tt suspension. I bought it lowered with H&R coilovers. I had suspension replaced with OEM because the ride was way too harsh. I bought the OEM suspension used. Two weeks later, the front passenger strut broke. Now I’m back to researching what to buy. I do not track the car and am looking for a comfortable ride. I decided after so much scraping and “crashing” over bumps from my H&R lowered suspension, I do not want it lowered again. I bought a DSC module when I had the OEM suspension installed and would like to continue using. Are Bilstein’s the only suspension that I can use to retain PASM?
Old 07-03-2019, 04:56 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts

Those or splashing out for the Tractive shocks. You can get B6 shocks and reuse the OEM springs.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:12 AM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Just buy new OEM struts (B4 I believe) and use stock springs. That plus the DSC module will give you the most comfort. A more aggressive alignment will do wonders for the handling characteristics.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:49 AM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
I’m having quite a journey with my 997tt suspension. I bought it lowered with H&R coilovers. I had suspension replaced with OEM because the ride was way too harsh. I bought the OEM suspension used. Two weeks later, the front passenger strut broke. Now I’m back to researching what to buy. I do not track the car and am looking for a comfortable ride. I decided after so much scraping and “crashing” over bumps from my H&R lowered suspension, I do not want it lowered again. I bought a DSC module when I had the OEM suspension installed and would like to continue using. Are Bilstein’s the only suspension that I can use to retain PASM?
Bilsteins are OE and aside from TPC's tractive product its pretty much the only one you can use with PASM. You are right to look at the dampers first in order to address the harshness. You would also want to look at bump stops (softer materials relax the travel more progressively instead of the quick infinite rate harder bump stops exhibit). If you like I can refer you to the suspension builder I used to completely revalve the H&R coilover and we went with softer springs. (special note, H&R coilovers are spec made bilsteins with an H&R sticker on them). I have a thread I did about my experience and I should be getting the car back from the shop friday to write my second part of the experience + lessons learned over the weekend. Do you have a budget you're sticking to?

Link to my other thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...ould-care.html

My current setup:
50nm front springs == 286lbs
90nm rear springs == 514lbs
Previously tech art lowering springs were on the car, I have opted for a .25" ride height INCREASE from the techart ride height.

Shocks/Dampers valved for significant blowoff behavior at the 3-5 inch per second speeds. The force build up is gradual and never more than ~55% of critical damping ((cc=critical damping = ~77lbs per inch) I do not know the exact curb weight, sprung, and unsprung mass so I am making some guesstimates.

Originally Posted by bondjockey
Just buy new OEM struts (B4 I believe) and use stock springs. That plus the DSC module will give you the most comfort. A more aggressive alignment will do wonders for the handling characteristics.
And completely chew up tires more quickly and unnecessarily if it is mainly street driven.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:41 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by ShatterPoints
...And completely chew up tires more quickly and unnecessarily if it is mainly street driven.
I run -2.2/-1.8 ish and my tyres are fine, and have not been chewed up. If you get the alignment done well you can get much more out of the car and not wear through tyres much faster than the stock alignment.
The following users liked this post:
samiam21 (10-25-2022)
Old 07-03-2019, 03:50 PM
strato58
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

GT3 alignment is the way to go, no? That is more aggressive and no real extra wear.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:04 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Bilsteins are OE and aside from TPC's tractive product its pretty much the only one you can use with PASM. You are right to look at the dampers first in order to address the harshness. You would also want to look at bump stops (softer materials relax the travel more progressively instead of the quick infinite rate harder bump stops exhibit). If you like I can refer you to the suspension builder I used to completely revalve the H&R coilover and we went with softer springs. (special note, H&R coilovers are spec made bilsteins with an H&R sticker on them). I have a thread I did about my experience and I should be getting the car back from the shop friday to write my second part of the experience + lessons learned over the weekend. Do you have a budget you're sticking to?

Link to my other thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...ould-care.html

My current setup:
50nm front springs == 286lbs
90nm rear springs == 514lbs
Previously tech art lowering springs were on the car, I have opted for a .25" ride height INCREASE from the techart ride height.

Shocks/Dampers valved for significant blowoff behavior at the 3-5 inch per second speeds. The force build up is gradual and never more than ~55% of critical damping ((cc=critical damping = ~77lbs per inch) I do not know the exact curb weight, sprung, and unsprung mass so I am making some guesstimates.

And completely chew up tires more quickly and unnecessarily if it is mainly street driven.
Most Turbo owners put so few miles on their cars that tire wear is not a huge issue. I put about 3k miles / yr on my car and with -1.9 front and -1.7 rear and current wear rates my tires will last at least 3 years. It’s a great compromise of comfort and handling. What you are doing is impressive and very detailed but I suspect that most owners (OP included) want a simpler solution.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:54 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 70 Posts

As long as you keep the toe minimal it should be ok. More negative camber will increase wear on the inside (and decrease it on the outside) slightly, but you should still get comparable mileage out of it. It tends to look worse than it is, because the outside will still have lots of life when the inside is toast, but if you actually look at how many miles out get out of the tire it shouldn't be that much less than when you're wearing it evenly. Again, given zero toe.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:12 PM
Rstrada
Former Vendor

Received 90 Likes on 37 Posts

We love Öhlins and have good luck with them on all platforms. It's not PASM compatible though so we either run the cancellation kit or remove the PASM in PIWIS. 997TT is a stocking item. For the price you just can't go wrong. If that's an option feel free to email or PM for more detail.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:46 PM
brucejoanne
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My DSC Tractive Coilovers arrive this Friday the 5th, they are compatible with PASM. Also ordered their adjustable sway bars, front and rear.. I already have their controller, so that also gets an upgraded program with the new suspension. Can't wait to feel the difference.

Bruce in Arizona
Old 07-03-2019, 10:59 PM
austx911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brucejoanne
My DSC Tractive Coilovers arrive this Friday the 5th, they are compatible with PASM. Also ordered their adjustable sway bars, front and rear.. I already have their controller, so that also gets an upgraded program with the new suspension. Can't wait to feel the difference.

Bruce in Arizona
Give us a review.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:23 PM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bondjockey
Most Turbo owners put so few miles on their cars that tire wear is not a huge issue. I put about 3k miles / yr on my car and with -1.9 front and -1.7 rear and current wear rates my tires will last at least 3 years. It’s a great compromise of comfort and handling. What you are doing is impressive and very detailed but I suspect that most owners (OP included) want a simpler solution.
I agree use cases are different, especially with me since I DD mine. Yes what I am doing is complicated to a degree, but my hope is to put the information out there in such a way that a simple solution can be given but also be supported by additional information that doesn't read like a wine label.

For instance I can say that if not all, then almost all aftermarket dampers use too much damping force and NONE of them except for Ohlins even discusses road filtering or strategies to achieve both comfort and performance. What I would have to say based on what I have learned is in contradiction to major brand manufacturers but only with regards to use cases. In otherwords the aftermarket options are technically valid because they mostly copy the OEM performance profile and then alter it without telling you what or why. So while I appreciate that most people want simple straight forward solutions, I am presuming that you will want to know the "why" especially if on the surface its appears contradictory.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:47 PM
brucejoanne
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tractive System by TCP Racing with new sway bars and all new sport links and bushings and upgraded DCS program for the new system. Drove over the weekend. Told there is a 100 mile + break in period. I have noticed a softer, smoother ride as the miles increase. The feel reminds me of my GT4 handling. Gives tremendous confidence in corners and hard braking. Because the car remains so flat, it more and more feels like I am in control of the movement of the car, not the corners and curves. Because you can carry a higher safe speed into the curves, you do. I know what this will do to my tire wear, It has transformed the handling of the car. While it was expensive, what I have done is created a different car, so it makes the price worth having a entirely new car to drive. I want to thank Tom at DSC/TPC Racing. He seemed happy to answer my many questions and was willing to education me along the way. Truly a top professional organization. I will provide further updates.

Bruce in Arizona
997.2 Turbo

Last edited by brucejoanne; 07-19-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:30 AM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by brucejoanne
Tractive System by TCP Racing with new sway bars and all new sport links and bushings and upgraded DCS program for the new system. Drove over the weekend. Told there is a 100 mile + break in period. I have noticed a softer, smoother ride as the miles increase. The feel reminds me of my GT4 handling. Gives tremendous confidence in corners and hard braking. Because the car remains so flat, it more and more feels like I am in control of the movement of the car, not the corners and curves. Because you can carry a higher safe speed into the curves, you do. I know what this will do to my tire wear, It has transformed the handling of the car. While it was expensive, what I have done is created a different car, so it makes the price worth having a entirely new car to drive. I want to thank Tom at DSC/TPC Racing. He seemed happy to answer my many questions and was willing to education me along the way. Truly a top professional organization. I will provide further updates.

Bruce in Arizona
997.2 Turbo
Ay more thoughts on the tractive aftermarket coilover? Any negatives for example? Extra NVH, springs clanging etc?
Old 07-29-2019, 10:16 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Just thought I would update this post with what I ended up doing. I bought Bilstein B4 (fronts), new springs, bushings and top mounts. I couldn’t get the rears. As soon as they become available, I’ll buy and install them. I have to say, I’m very impressed. It feels and rides like a new vehicle. Very composed, planted and firm but not harsh. Definitely doesn’t feel like a 2008. This has to be the most solid platform out there.

Quick Reply: Coilovers