Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB (or standard) Metal Pad Covers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 11:19 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PCCB (or standard) Metal Pad Covers?

I replaced F&R pads on PCCB 07' turbo last weekend.

Ordered P40-3FF from porsche.
99735194802 Front
99735294702 Rear

There was a thin metal plate on the back of each pad which I removed before installation - pics below.
I am wondering what the purpose of these mystery plates are, shipping protection or otherwise?
Sort of like a backing plate, but not really, it is very thin and has adhesive backed film that can be removed.

All of the used PCCB pad pics I've seen on GT3 forums etc show marks on the back of the pads directly from the pistons, and people say they don't use any dampers 99735208602.
I dont really care about extra noise.

According to the parts catalog, it says to reference technical manual which I can't find anywhere, might need to head over to renntech.
Brake Pad Repair Set Use Also: Mounting Parts See Technical Manual Group 4 Nr.46 34 20

Old 07-15-2019, 12:01 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Not for certain this applies to PCCBs but normally those shims come with brake pads to prevent squeal. Did you end up installing them and if not are the brakes making extra noise ?

Cyclists usually toe in their brake pads to prevent squeal so I imagine with an accurate micro meter you'd find these shims are slightly thicker on one side,
Old 07-15-2019, 05:06 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 70 Posts

Yeah, they're called shims, and they have a few purposes but the main one is to reduce noise: https://www.knowyourparts.com/techni...s/brake-shims/
Old 07-15-2019, 10:15 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So the workshop manual specifically says not to install the dampers (circular) type for this particular updated pad type. It does not specify whether to install the metal plate (shim?). It doesn't even make mention of it.

Only clues that it might be intended for installation is the adhesive backed film and high quality manufacturing. If for shipping protection I doubt they would have gone to these lengths.

The plate is drastically different from the old round dampers. It doesn't clip into the Piston bores, nor does it seem like it would adhere very well to the Pistons, nor would it clip very well to the pad itself. I would be concerned about it floating around and eventually getting damaged causing further havoc with priceless pccb rotors.

I'mhoping that someone has been here before. Can't find any threads after hours of googling.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:17 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 70 Posts

Shims come with almost all brake pads. They're not going to slide around as long as you install them correctly. You're free not to install them, but you will likely get brake noise while driving.

Quick Reply: PCCB (or standard) Metal Pad Covers?