Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 08:08 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel Pump failure

The high pressure fuel pump failed at 59Kmi. Leading up to it's failure the engine crank time to fire up got longer. I just figured that was due to the car sitting longer than usual between when it was driven. When it finally set off a warning "Reduced Engine Power" in the instrument cluster it felt as if the tracion control was on when I got on the power, and if this was an old carburated analog car it was as if it was starving for fuel, which turned out it was. I was able to limp it home, and eventually to my indy shop TrackSpec. The fuel pump is located at the bottom, back left side of the motor. It also had a slight residue on it that appeared to be oil, but had a minor fuel smell to it. I pulled two codes from the car. First 1026, which I cleared and upon restart it threw a 1031. Searching rennlist I stumbled upon a bunch of threads about these pumps failing. With a Durametric I was able to pull the fuel pressure, which showed only 6bar vs. 50. The Fidelity 5yr/60Kmi powertrain warranty I bought from Michael Jordain at Mossy Motors in New Orleans came in handy as these pumps are now $2,800. I found him via this thread here on Rennlist. In fact the warranty paid for itself with this repair, and more. The fuel pump however was not in stock anywhere in the entire US through Porsche, and no aftermarket ones are available from anyone. Apparently the part number recently changed, likely due to a supplier change, or the part itself being changed. My guess is that Porsche pulled all the old stock, and the supply chain has not had a chance to catch up. Or these cars are finally getting the mileage on them for this part to fail, and all the stock got sucked up. On the forums it looks like Porsche had issues in 2009 to perhaps 2010 as they replaced pumps after the cars warranty expired. I sucked up the expedited shipping from German, otherwise it could have taken 3 weeks to get here. Fidelity covered it all but that and the deductible on the warranty.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:17 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

I’m newish to the TT forum. I just had this exact same thing happen to me 2 weeks ago (I bought car in May 2019). 2010 TT with ~65k miles currently. I also had the fidelity powertrain warranty (bought from same
Guy—highly recommended) that covered most is the ~5k repair (there were some rusted bolts etc and labor they would not pay). My dealer wanted 11 hrs or so of labor at $215 (Chicago)—yes, ouch (I wrench lots and do all my own maintenance, brakes, plugs,
etc, but decided not to mess with gas lines). Part was expensive almost $3k and I paid about $400 in shipping (not fidelity covered) from Germany. Funny thing is I have all service records from the sole prior owner and the pump was last changed in 2013 (after it broke) by another Chicagoland Porsche dealer. Very crappy part that apparently breaks after 6 yrs of daily driving. Silly.

While “in there” I had all the 4 tranny/diff fluids changed: PDK clutches, pdk trans, awd controller, diff trans fluid changed. I also flushed the coolant (1 gallon is lost in fuel pump replacement—so what’s another $300 bucks—ha!) and spark plugs for $320 as all car was apart by this stage. Oh, and I had a sharkwerks xpipe installed for “free” ... because why not (sounds amazing— more for another post). All in I paid about $4K out of pocket including shipping of about $400 for pump and fidelity $500 deductible. All very lovely. Wife looooves me. Yep. But I really like —love— the car and it’s a keeper along with my 987.2 Boxster S manual. I’ll do a proper introduction with pics another time when I’m not a lot of beverages into the night.

Last edited by tango131; 10-26-2019 at 04:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sfbanchs (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 05:13 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We'll need to find a place that rebuilds these pumps. It's a Continental part.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:46 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

great write up yes proper intro is a must
Old 10-26-2019, 04:19 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kpl
We'll need to find a place that rebuilds these pumps. It's a Continental part.
Yeah, it’s nuts. What kills me is that my car had the pump replaced in 2013 by the P car dealer under that recall campaign Porsche had—so I thought I was good to go as the part was only 6 yrs old now, instead of 9. So clearly it was a bad design, even for those pumps replaced under the recall campaign. Knocking on wood it lasts for another 10 years or so now.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:29 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Higher pressures used due to DFI introduction. The November 2014 (#223) tech feature goes into detail about Porsche’s direct fuel injection (DFI) systems, but one of the most important aspects of high pressure (up to 1,800 psi in first-generation systems, and over 3,000 psi in current versions) DFI is that it is the first EFI system to surpass the fuel atomization capabilities of the original Bosch timed MFI systems. Hydraulics fail and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s related to this crap gas we use now. Highest ethanol gas I can get is 90 here in Florida. I don’t even run ethanol on my lawn equipment. Straight gas 100%.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump failure