Sponsored by:

Center lock won't budge!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 10:21 PM
Viperfish
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Center lock won't budge!

I put the car on stands over the weekend to do the oil and brakes. As Murphy would have it, the last tire center lock nut won't budge. I've compressed the brake pedal, used the removal tool as I did on the others but to no avail. The other three were lacking grease but came off relatively easy so I assume this one is seized on. I rented a Torque Multiplier but it just spun the wheel and rotor through the brake, meaning the brakes didn't grab hard enough with all that torque. I measured the push-in on the center lock mechanism incase the the tool wasn't depressing it all the way. That doesn't seem to be the problem. Thinking about some Breakfree spay and an impact gun. Any other suggestions? I wanna punch it in the face!!

Old 01-27-2020, 10:54 PM
ECB
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I feel your pain. Sorry if I misunderstood, but is the car in the air already? You mentioned the wheel turning. I always loosen my lugs before getting the car on the stands. Best of luck. Don't punch it.
The following users liked this post:
Viperfish (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 11:08 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Put it on the ground and then break it loose. Tough to do in the air.
Viperfish (01-27-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 08:56 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Put it on the ground,start the car and have someone hold the brakes
Viperfish (01-29-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 04:53 PM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 127 Posts

Always on the ground. Try a bit of tightening first and then the center ring should click out or in(can’t remember)..be sure to have the special silver grease from suncoast Porsche for your reinstall.
Viperfish (01-29-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 07:53 PM
Viperfish
Advanced

Thanks all for your input. I've tried a 5' cheater bar, I've tried standing and gently hopping on a 3' breaker bar. it solid!! After a bit of experimenting it appears the center lock safety mechanism that presses in and releases the center lock isn't pressing in far enough to release. The Safety mechanism has a bolt hole in the middle and an inverted 8-sided socket slot. Does anyone know what those are for?

Old 01-28-2020, 09:41 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have no Idea on the bolt hole. The 8 sided is for a tool to insert and rotate slightly to engage the locking mechanism. You are NOT to have a center lock on the ground while loosening it. You are correct and doing it be the manual. I have not had one give me that much trouble "Yet"... I do have to start the car and use the power brakes for the front to break it loose.
Viperfish (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 10:11 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Wow! Wondering if your lock is stuck!
Viperfish (02-04-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 08:30 PM
Viperfish
Advanced

The back safety units press in far enough to see the wheel/rotor seam. The front do not. I may have been in error about the safety mechanism not pressing in all the way. If that's the case it's just seized on there really hard! I'm going to take it to a Porsche shop and have them mess with it.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:23 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

Lube is your friend.
The following 2 users liked this post by dave292:
bschurr (01-30-2020), Viperfish (02-03-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 08:07 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I've had that happen, that center locking part won't move, I've put the
centerlock tool centerlock tool
on in it and gave it a good wack with a rubber mallet.
Viperfish (02-03-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 07:39 AM
cyclrder
Pro

Guys... you just can’t force it. It’s just not like a big nut that you can screw off. Their is a locking mechanism that keeps it from backing off and it has to be disengaged by the removal tool when it is installed over the nut!

Here is the procedure for a 991... it’s the same but only use 488lbs of torque.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post15202285

your centerlocks have either not been maintained or someone has forced them off with a mallet and damaged them or probably both. (Though a “whack” with a rubber mallet might loosen the jammed mechanism inside the nut and then you could remove the nut). Porsche does not make it clear in any manual on how to do it to spec that I have found other than a reference to the 991 procedure that I found on the internet when I first got my car. When these locks are setup properly and maintained... they work wonderfully. Search my threads on clicking centerlocks and you will also learn about the proper application of the silver wheel grease.

hope this helps
Viperfish (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 02:31 PM
Viperfish
Advanced

I haven't had much time to monkey with it the last few days. I soaked it in PB Blaster penetrating oil while I was out of town. If I remember, there is an "O" ring that would prevent much penetration of the oil. The other nuts came off relatively easily but weren't greased properly. I think it's a combination of issues but lack of grease being one. Going to try an 400lb impact gun and see if the impact pops it lose then back to the breaker bar.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:20 PM
cyclrder
Pro

Originally Posted by Viperfish
I haven't had much time to monkey with it the last few days. I soaked it in PB Blaster penetrating oil while I was out of town. If I remember, there is an "O" ring that would prevent much penetration of the oil. The other nuts came off relatively easily but weren't greased properly. I think it's a combination of issues but lack of grease being one. Going to try an 400lb impact gun and see if the impact pops it lose then back to the breaker bar.
NOOOOOO! don't force it or you will do more damage.

here is the thing.... the safety latch mechanism inside of the nut has to be disengaged before you can remove the nut. It isn't stuck because it is put on too tight, its stuck because the safety mechanism hasn't let go when you have put the removal tool on (and or possibly because it is too tight from trying to be removed before properly disengaged).

I would fiddle with the ring inside of the nut that is on the wheel... check out the ones that you have taken off and look at them closely and you will see where the inner ring is suppose to be and then push down on it to see where it disengages... I suspect that with your lubrication over the weekend that you might have loosened it.
Put the tool on and slightly tighten it .. take it off and see if it will move at all... then try to remove.
Viperfish (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 07:37 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 790 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear about this trouble. It sounds like it’s seized to me, due to lack of Molub-alloy anti-seize paste. I’ve been fortunate with my centerlocks and they’ve always functioned properly. I’m pretty meticulous when it comes to the application of the anti-seize paste on the nut and on the wheel. FWIW, I always put my car on jack stands first, then I use a brake pedal depressor to allow the front brakes to keep the wheel from spinning.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Viperfish (02-04-2020)

Quick Reply: Center lock won't budge!