Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just realized tonight that I drive a luxury car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 11:34 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts
Default I just realized tonight that I drive a luxury car...

Went out to dinner with friends tonight, meeting them there, and when he found out I was trading in my car for a new 911 within the next year he said "ARE YOU CRAZY? THIS IS A CLASSIC CAR, DON'T DO IT". We walked out to my car to take a look at it and he was perplexed as to why I would not just keep it AND get the new car. He's a bit crazy though, in a good way.

Ok, I digress. That's another story I'm not willing to discuss here (the trading in of my beloved 911) but as I drove home I, for the first time, realized... I'm driving a luxury car that just happens to be a sports car as well. It just never occurred to me before. It's so comfortable, like... ridiculously comfortable, the seats are like butter, the steering wheel feels like total luxury. It's just so crazily luxurious. That's all I have for you this evening.

From Wikipedia - "A luxury car is a car that provides increased levels of comfort, equipment, amenities, quality, performance, and status relative to regular cars for an increased price.The term is subjective and reflects both the qualities of the car and the brand image of its manufacturer. Luxury brands rank above premium brands, though there is no fixed demarcation between the two.

Traditionally, most luxury cars were large vehicles, though smaller sports-oriented models were always produced."
Old 09-25-2021, 09:24 AM
Aaron12
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Went out to dinner with friends tonight, meeting them there, and when he found out I was trading in my car for a new 911 within the next year he said "ARE YOU CRAZY? THIS IS A CLASSIC CAR, DON'T DO IT". We walked out to my car to take a look at it and he was perplexed as to why I would not just keep it AND get the new car. He's a bit crazy though, in a good way.

Ok, I digress. That's another story I'm not willing to discuss here (the trading in of my beloved 911) but as I drove home I, for the first time, realized... I'm driving a luxury car that just happens to be a sports car as well. It just never occurred to me before. It's so comfortable, like... ridiculously comfortable, the seats are like butter, the steering wheel feels like total luxury. It's just so crazily luxurious. That's all I have for you this evening.

From Wikipedia - "A luxury car is a car that provides increased levels of comfort, equipment, amenities, quality, performance, and status relative to regular cars for an increased price.The term is subjective and reflects both the qualities of the car and the brand image of its manufacturer. Luxury brands rank above premium brands, though there is no fixed demarcation between the two.

Traditionally, most luxury cars were large vehicles, though smaller sports-oriented models were always produced."
My wife said the same thing as we drove home last night from dinner sitting in her comfy snug passenger seat.
The following users liked this post:
Steve 96C4S (09-25-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 12:06 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Steve, I understand your emotions and agree with your TTS assessment. But, as you know I've parted ways with my TTS but know it went to a great new owner. Sometimes we get too emotionally attached to an inanimate object such as a Porsche that doesn't know or care that we even exist.

I personally wouldn't trade any Porsche to a dealer who will understate it's market value only to resell it for a large profit. I couldn't do that, dealers rip us off enough the way it is. May I suggest you list your TTS on BaT with a high reserve ($120K +/-) and sell it; it's an easy process. The 997.2 TT and TTS market is strong right now but it is showing signs of cooling off. Now is the time to sell and walk away.

You also have a very nice MB so drive it during the upcoming Winter (that's what I'm doing with my Audi S8+) when our P-cars are normally parked, miss your TTS (you'll get over it, I have already) and look forward to your new 992 TTS in the Spring. JMO

Last edited by 4ocious; 09-25-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Steve 96C4S (09-25-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 01:04 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,974 Likes on 2,051 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Steve, I understand your emotions and agree with your TTS assessment. But, as you know I've parted ways with my TTS but know it went to a great new owner. Sometimes we get too emotionally attached to an inanimate object such as a Porsche who doesn't know or care that we even exist.

I personally wouldn't trade any Porsche to a dealer who will understate it's market value only to resell it for a large profit. I couldn't do that, dealers rip us off enough the way it is. May I suggest you list your TTS on BaT with a high reserve ($120K +/-) and sell it; it's an easy process. The 997.2 TT and TTS market is strong right now but it is showing signs of cooling off. Now is the time to sell and walk away.

You also have a very nice MB so drive it during the upcoming Winter (that's what I'm doing with my Audi S8+) when our P-cars are normally parked, miss your TTS (you'll get over it, I have already) and look forward to your new 991.2 TTS in the Spring. JMO
This, or trade it to an enthusiast dealer that will likely not make quite as large of a profit and maybe treat the transaction with the next owner more like a private owner would and less like a straight business transaction as a large corporate dealer would. Only upside to dealer trade is potential tax benefit depending on state.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
Robocop305 (09-26-2021), Steve 96C4S (09-26-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 02:42 PM
mrmaass
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron12
My wife said the same thing as we drove home last night from dinner sitting in her comfy snug passenger seat.
I can't hear my wife from the passenger seat .
I'm in full agreement about the comfort of these cars but I do regret choosing the loudest exhaust option available when I replaced the unknown system that came with it. It is at the point that I avoid driving it sometimes because it is just insanely LOUD. This significantly lowers the luxury quotient. I didn't mean to go off topic but if anyone is considering an exhaust replacement make sure you know what you are getting into before you pull the trigger.

Manda Racing (09-28-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 02:51 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Interesting. I wanted the absolute quietest exhaust on my car so I stayed with stock. The last thing I want to do have is a loud exhaust since I live right next to my neighbors. Our houses are 12 feet apart in an urbanist neighborhood. Plus, a loud exhaust isn't appealing to me in any way, especially all the loud Mustangs, Challengers, Camaros, etc, in my neighborhood. They drive around in the evening revving up their engines, so so loud...it's crazy.

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 09-27-2021 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:16 PM
PowderJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 161 Posts

I did an 8 hr drive in it this summer and didn't feel it at all, got out and no soreness/stifness. My wife didn't mind it either she even commented about how surprisngly comfortable it was.

Did a shorter drive in my wifes Q5 and I felt it after. Crazy how comfortable these cars are.
Steve 96C4S (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 12:00 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,268 Posts

I know we've talked at length about it Steve. I guess we'll see in the Spring if you do it or not.

Tough call for sure.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:53 AM
wcarson
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum- My car is certainly not a luxury car. I highly doubt too many luxury type drivers would want to spend too much time in the cockpit of my land -bound rocket. But of course that’s why I love it!

(3.8L forged 997.1TT Mezger, XR1000 turbos, AMS IC’s, GMG headers/exhaust, methanol injection, 6 speed with Protomotive twin disc clutch, GMG suspension, stoptech big brakes, DSC, etc)

Last edited by wcarson; 09-28-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Robocop305 (09-28-2021)

Quick Reply: I just realized tonight that I drive a luxury car...