Sponsored by:

Thinking about selling my 997.2 Turbo 6-speed for a 997 GT2

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 07:03 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Metaphysician
Thanks for the insight. How did the photography component work? How local is the photographer and how do they pick a spot to shoot?
I paid BaT $349.00 in advance. For that a BaT representative (your single point of contact throughout the entire auction process) will contact you via email to discuss your car (year, type, color/s, options, mechanicals, ownership history, accident/s etc.) and request you attach recent photos of your car to the email. Within a week or so they will notify you that your car has been accepted for auction (not all are) and to schedule a date and time for their local contract photographer to take professional photos of your car. The photographer will contact you directly to meet at the photo location of your choice (I chose my driveway because it was also scenic). Allow two hours or more for the photo shoot, BaT is very particular on the photos they want included with the listing including owners manuals, title, receipts (hopefully in a catalog), keys and etc. that he will take pictures of too. Have that all ready. The photographer submits the photos to a BaT photo editor and you are contacted within a week or two to review and agree to them. I was very impressed with the quality of my photos. Next, BaT contacts you to discuss what you think your reserve (if you choose one, I did) should be and ask you to provide as much info and history about the car as you have for the description they are writing for you. They will also ask you to cancel all sale listings. They may contact you several times for more information and finally to review and approve the listing. BaT will also provide you with a tentative negotiable auction date (I wanted my auction to end over a weekend when more buyers are home) and start time. Once your auction goes live it will remain on BaT for seven heart pounding days. When it sells BaT will send you the winners information. You make your own payment and shipping arrangements with the buyer. In my case it was as good as it gets because my buyer was great and we had no hiccups.

When the auction ends there are no hidden fees or additional costs to pay because the buyer is pre-approved and pays BaT directly for all auction fees (5% up to $100K). If you car doesn't sell you can relist it but I think it will sell for more (IMO) that what you've listed it for on Rennlist. I would also recommend you set your reserve high enough to ensure you get your bottom line. Keep in mind BaT gets paid before you do so negotiate (I did) the low reserve they will try to talk you into "based upon their current knowledge of the market". Remember, their priority is to sell cars and get their sales commission first so it it doesn't sell they don't get paid. PM if you would like to talk further.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:54 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

Ok,

So here i am - once again - about to do the same thing.......

I have been offered a GT2 off market. Comfort spec (no Cage carbon buckets) and stock. Looks niiiiice in Pics.
I have a very very nice 6 Speed 997TT and a 2012 Spyder.

All 3 are very low # volume cars here in AU ( I guess world-wide too)

I may be able to move my current ones , and get into the GT2 with some change, the market here is NUTS atm - with Manual 997 TT values continuing to skyrocket.

The Spyder is stock (have a nice set of wheels) and the better half - LOVES it . Low low Klms - Still under CPO warranty and a very pretty car. Solid Black.
The TT will be sold stock (and i will transfer all the good bits to the GT2 & sell the rest) and is a very nicely specc'd low klms example in GR. I love this car.....
Maintenance is up to date heavily optioned.... PCCB, LSD, Factory SSK, Extended Leather, 18 ways Red Belts + Deviated stitching everywhere.

Europipe, 2 x sets of extra wheels, Half Cage, 991 Steering wheel, Carbon buckets etc would go into the GT2 making it better .... Ive just finished the interior of the TT and its very pretty.
GT2 is lower spec - No Carbon (not a bad thing) no deviated stitching or belts, no factory cage or seats (easy fixes) but no deviated stuff.

2 x questions:

1 - Am i nuts?

The "red car" (as its known) is fast (UMW + GT2RS IC + EP) and a very nice example + with the interior done is just a nice place to be. Maintenance all good - and 45,xxx klms. Known quantity. Nice to drive and feels special. Colour is EPIC on this.
The Spyder is fast (in a different way) PDK is just the best thing ever in this - Also nicely specced with Carbon buckets, red belts, painted bits everywhere etc SOLID BLACK - 29,xxx Klms and still under CPO and known quantity.
The GT2 - Low spec (but can easily add my buckets and cage etc) looks nice in pics, Basalt and just found out - has CPO....29,xxx klms.
Unknown quantity. Has records - but all from stealers - so who really knows....

2 - Am i nuts? (part 2)
I have recently sold 2 x other cars (full house s54 swapped e30 - and a 600HP Rx3 Turbo) and if i sell these 2 for one - I have almost cleared my garage out.
Pros:
  • 1 x less rego/insurance and maintenance
  • More room in garage
  • Would prob drive more i think... maybe?
  • Will driving this effect the value too much?
  • $$$ in the bank
  • GT2 GT2 GT2 and GT2 - the big daddy
Cons:
  • Wife loves the Spyder.
  • Pretty special thing - glorious to drive.
  • Red Car is special too - GT2 is black.... ( I used to be all black everything - these days and loving the colours) love the interior.
  • GT2 is no 'faster" than red car.
  • Spreads driving time between 2 very different (but equally special in their own way) cars.
  • Both are pretty much done - so just able to drive (more time to spend on other things)
  • I am pretty sure - I'll end up with some another older AC project - espec if room is no longer an issue..... negating any real gain .....

Change - or help me make up my mind?
Old 10-30-2021, 11:47 AM
strato58
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

If it was me i'd do it in a heartbeat. I love the GT2!

The following users liked this post:
Full Boost (11-01-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 12:12 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 901 Likes on 340 Posts

Hard choice here and not for the obvious reasons.

I would not underestimate wife happiness in this equation. Is there no way you can keep the Spyder in the exchange? That would weigh heavily for me since my wife has been so supportive of my automotive endeavors. YMMV.

I'm also reading you don't LOVE the GT2 spec. That's big to me. If you don't love it now, doubt you'll love it later no matter how good a driving experience the car may be. I waited a looooong time for my car and when I open the door to the garage it makes my grin ear to ear...that's even before driving it. Without that reaction, I wouldn't make the trade. With so few cars in AU, I know it becomes a tough proposition to realize the dream.

After years of compromises, my wife came up with a great piece of advice: "Buy what you really want the FIRST time." If this is the car you really want, then do it. If not, wait.
The following 3 users liked this post by ChrisF:
Full Boost (11-01-2021), PowderJunkie (11-01-2021), Robocop305 (10-31-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 11:59 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 418 Likes on 260 Posts

I would jump on the GT2 yesterday.

Read this thread starting at post # 325:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...market-22.html
The following users liked this post:
Full Boost (11-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling my 997.2 Turbo 6-speed for a 997 GT2