Sponsored by:

My 997 adventure…

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 10:17 PM
rsalicrup
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts
Default My 997 adventure…

Saw a few threads were other were documenting their process on their 997…figure why not.

A bit of my background. Been driving sports car since even before I had a license. Had every single version of M3 minus the current model. The E30 M3 in my early 20s is what started my passion for building cars. I had 2 cars on my dream list. 911 Turbo and 93-95 Mazda RX-7. Since I couldn’t afford a 993 Turbo, in the early 2000, I went through a few FD RX-7. Still have a soft spot for them. Ever since my last RX-7 I have been trough a few M cars, Audi S cars and some others. My last car before the 997 was a 2020 Supra…great car but too new for what I like doing so I was bored. As I was looking for a replacement, my wife turns to me and says “Why don’t you get your 911 once and for all?” That lead me to my 2007 Turbo Tip…yes Tip since I have bad knees and I wanted a Mezger.

Found this one with low miles and a good price. PPI inspection came up great with mostly cosmetic issues and the need to replace the 14 year old tires.

First item on the list was to replace all fluids and tires. Went with a set of Continental Extreme Sport Contact 2. Also to code the spoiler in the up portion since I have a bad microswitch.

After that I need to develop a plan to proceed on what I wanted to do. I came up with fix the eye sores and make the car like what it should’ve been like when Porsche rolled it out.

While doing research and waiting on parts, I decided to clean the car really well. Did paint correction but the trim around the windows needed some TLC. Decided the polish them which is something I learned from one of AmmoNYC videos. Also my front turn signals need some polishing.

I manage to source some headlight to replace my cracked ones. They needed some work though. After some wet sanding, polishing and fresh clear coat, they looked great.

Now I needed to replace the exhaust. The OEM one was too quiet and it doesn’t suite the car right. The first round, I ordered a Top Speed PRO exhaust…long story short, I returned it because it didn’t fit at all. Did realized that I didn’t want to be taking the exhaust off once a year for inspection, so go lucky and found a used Speedtech catted 2.5 straight piped exhaust here in the forum. Great sound and almost no drone. It also improved spool up.

Now I really needed to address the elephant in the room. I needed paddles so I could really enjoy driving the car. Out with the old…in with the new

Last bit of eye sore was the front lip and yellow side markers. I considered them as a consumable item and didn’t want to spend a lot. For a replacement without the vents in Amazon for $124… sure let’s try it. No issues with fitment. Side markers are OEM.

Next item on the list is suspension. Not happy with the way it handles so I will be ordering coilovers this week along with the required rear toe arms and some spacers.

Another thing I need to figure out is how to make the side scoop inlets permanently black. They are faded pretty bad and ceramic coating them helped a bit but they are not black.

In a few weeks I’ll be replacing the diverted valves with upgraded ones as I read the improve spool up. For sure future mods are transmission tune, Depo LED taillights, intercoolers and wheels. Want to do a tune (no idea which one) but will address the coolant pipes and cams first. Also need to figure out why cruise control don’t work.

Last edited by rsalicrup; 07-03-2023 at 10:31 PM.
The following 11 users liked this post by rsalicrup:
Adams (07-03-2023), Bodibedo (07-04-2023), DivingorDriving (07-05-2023), earlyapex (07-04-2023), jeebus31 (07-04-2023), John D II (07-04-2023), mchrono (07-04-2023), mgmarsh39 (07-03-2023), moxie (SF) (07-18-2023), TheDeckMan (07-04-2023), trassalpl (07-04-2023) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-04-2023, 04:29 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 195 Posts

Looks the biz so far - Congrats!!

What Coilovers you decide to use?
There is a product called "Back to Black" - (im in AU - not sure if available where you are) that will help. Just need to layer the coats...
Use stock diverter valves - I believe there is an issue with using billet ones??? (or could be my memory confusing with the 993tt)
Interested to hear about the tune to the tiptronic? A PDK series 2 (owned by a mate) had was tuned - made a huge difference.

UMW is the man for your tune (might be able to tune the tipper) - he did my Engine tune - and i love it!

I have a set of HREs for sale cheap (because AUD is soooo bad) might be worth importing them ?

Simon

Last edited by Full Boost; 07-05-2023 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-04-2023, 09:53 AM
strato58
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Lookin good!
Old 07-04-2023, 11:22 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Congratulations and enjoy your Porsche turbo journey!
Old 07-04-2023, 12:14 PM
mgmarsh39
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Cannot agree with you more on the paddle shift mod! Enjoy!
Old 07-04-2023, 02:11 PM
rsalicrup
Instructor

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Looks the biz so far - Congrats!!

What Coilovers you decide to use?
There is a product called "Back to Black" - (im in AU - not sure if available where you are) that will help. Just need to layer the coats...
Use stock diverter valves - I deliver there is an issue with using billet ones (or could be my memory confusing with the 993tt)
Interested to hear about the tune to the tiptronic? A PDK series 2 a mate had was tuned - made a huge difference.

UMW is the man for your tune (might be able top tune the tipper) - he did mine and i love it!

I have a set of HREs for sale cheap (because AUD is soooo bad) might be worth importing them ?

Simon
For coilovers, not going to say yet. Going to be a guinea pig on a set.

For the back to black, do you know which brand you recommend? Saw this one being used in Scrap life build and was thinking going with it.

RENEW PROTECT- BLAK 16oz- Dry-Seal Ceramic-Hybrid Protectant -Motorcycle, Golf Cart, RV Safe -Trim, Tire Semi-Gloss & Preservation Treatment, OEM Restorer -Fading Plastic, Cracking Vinyl, Tire Dry Rot https://a.co/d/j5GTbMA

Would like to hear other’s opinions on Diverter valves. Was thinking either Forged or GFB as they are complete replacement.

Is too early to think on engine tunes. Even though I have Cobb locally never been a fan of their tune. Every car I had it on (including my Macan) it feels like an on/off switch. For the transmission would love Giac stage 2 but according to their site it is only available with their engine tune and not looking at their tune either.

Wheels I already have it narrowed down just need to find what offsets I want to go with.

Old 07-04-2023, 02:12 PM
rsalicrup
Instructor

Originally Posted by mgmarsh39
Cannot agree with you more on the paddle shift mod! Enjoy!
Best thing I have done to this car yet. I was giggling like a school boy when I had it completed. Haven’t driven in automatic ever since.
The following users liked this post:
mgmarsh39 (07-04-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 10:46 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,174 Likes on 577 Posts

stock diverters are the best. Aftermarket ones don't function better nor last
Old 07-05-2023, 11:42 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I put on a TracTive suspension with new rear toe links and alignment, corner balance. It made the car a joy to drive and controlled the rear end wiggle under power.
Old 07-05-2023, 03:13 PM
rsalicrup
Instructor

Originally Posted by earlyapex
I put on a TracTive suspension with new rear toe links and alignment, corner balance. It made the car a joy to drive and controlled the rear end wiggle under power.
Those are a bit too much.

After a bit more research on coilovers I was looking into, I’m back to square one on suspension. No idea which route to go here. I’m sure the TracTive would be nice but many other good options for that kind of money that is hard to justify specially that I don’t track my car and it only gets driven on weekends.
Old 07-05-2023, 04:04 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 390 Likes on 276 Posts

If you don't want to spend 10K on the tractive stuff (my ultimate suspension upgrade someday in the distant future) the bilstein's are a more cost effective alternative. I am not sure what the stocking situation is with them though. Couple that with a DSC and you have a decent upgrade from stock.

Ed
Old 07-14-2023, 09:20 PM
rsalicrup
Instructor

Nothing much but today I had the time to install 15mm spacers all around. Much better look

The following users liked this post:
signde (07-15-2023)

Quick Reply: My 997 adventure…