Cobb Access Port and 997 turbo ECU

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 03:30 PM
TV997S2
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Cobb Access Port and 997 turbo ECU

Hello,

I'm not sure if I'm one of the unlucky few or not but I need new New ECU. Can someone direct me to where I can get a used or rebuilt 997.1 turbo ECU part number 997 618 602 05. According to my Indy the Cobb AP tune more than likely caused my ECU to fail. I had a stage 1 tune in the car and apparently now I need a new ECU.
Old 08-25-2023, 04:13 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 354 Posts

Ouch, so it bricked the ECU? Do you know if maybe power was interrupted during programming or something like that? Otherwise, I'm not sure how a Cobb tune could cause an ECU to fail..

New discounted price is 4.1K, so yeah you will prob want to find a used one from a junked car. Clearly will require a dealer or someone with a PIWIS to marry it to your car.
Old 08-25-2023, 06:12 PM
TV997S2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by saabin
Ouch, so it bricked the ECU? Do you know if maybe power was interrupted during programming or something like that? Otherwise, I'm not sure how a Cobb tune could cause an ECU to fail..

New discounted price is 4.1K, so yeah you will prob want to find a used one from a junked car. Clearly will require a dealer or someone with a PIWIS to marry it to your car.
The tuning went well but I started having issues about 60 miles afterwards.
Old 08-25-2023, 06:30 PM
truekraut
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by TV997S2
The tuning went well but I started having issues about 60 miles afterwards.
What sort of issues have you been experiencing that makes your Indy believe you need a new ECU? I’m not doubting your Indy by any means, I’m just genuinely curious to learn more as someone who also has a COBB tune.
Old 08-25-2023, 06:38 PM
TV997S2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by truekraut
What sort of issues have you been experiencing that makes your Indy believe you need a new ECU? I’m not doubting your Indy by any means, I’m just genuinely curious to learn more as someone who also has a COBB tune.

The car struggles to idle, lost of throttle response and feels like it's choking.
Old 08-25-2023, 06:44 PM
truekraut
Rennlist Member

The car struggles to idle, lost of throttle response and feels like it's choking.
This may be a silly question, but have you tried removing the COBB tune and reverting back to the stock tune? If so, was there any change in the codes you’re receiving?
Old 08-25-2023, 06:56 PM
TV997S2
Rennlist Member

This may be a silly question, but have you tried removing the COBB tune and reverting back to the stock tune? If so, was there any change in the codes you’re receiving?
Great question. Yes, I have. I cleared the code, removed the tune and it came back after about 60 miles of driving. Took it to my Indy and they followed the testing procedure per Porsche and here we are.
Old 08-25-2023, 07:06 PM
truekraut
Rennlist Member

Great question. Yes, I have. I cleared the code, removed the tune and it came back after about 60 miles of driving. Took it to my Indy and they followed the testing procedure per Porsche and here we are.
Wow, that’s a really tough break…sorry to hear about your troubles. I find it interesting that the ECU issues take a bit of driving to show up rather than being present all the time. I know absolutely nothing about ECUs, so I’m sure this makes sense to some folks here on the forum. I guess it’s similar to needing a few operating cycles before various monitors are ready after having codes cleared. I hope you’re able to find a deal on a replacement ECU!
Old 08-25-2023, 09:04 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

I wonder if you are just experiencing issues that take some time to manifest. I initially bricked my ECU installing Cobb tune+PDK. I.e., insert key, nothing, turn key, nothing. I ran the restore and it took a while but worked. Then installed tune and pdk incrementally and all fine since. If the ROM really is really corrupted, it will likely not fire at all, or on the off chance it actually runs, it will run bad from the get go. Highly unlikely it will run fine for a while and then degrade.

Last edited by jayzbird; 08-26-2023 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:24 PM
TV997S2
Rennlist Member

Wow, that’s a really tough break…sorry to hear about your troubles. I find it interesting that the ECU issues take a bit of driving to show up rather than being present all the time. I know absolutely nothing about ECUs, so I’m sure this makes sense to some folks here on the forum. I guess it’s similar to needing a few operating cycles before various monitors are ready after having codes cleared. I hope you’re able to find a deal on a replacement ECU!

Thank you my friend. I'm hoping to get some guidance from the members here. I have no problem forking out the dough since my 997 turbo is keeper. I just want to know if anyone had to rebuild or replace their ECU on these 997 turbos.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:54 PM
rsalicrup
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like a MAF sensor issue to me. Would use something other than Cobb to pull the codes too.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:06 PM
TV997S2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rsalicrup
Sounds like a MAF sensor issue to me. Would use something other than Cobb to pull the codes too.
My Indy ran tests on a PIWIS and they followed the ECU trouble shoot steps.
Old 08-26-2023, 12:43 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 390 Likes on 276 Posts

If the ECU works at all, I am having trouble understanding why it would need to be replaced. I guess some of the wiring connections to it could be suspect, but unless you have had water infiltration or some other event, I would not put replacing the ECU on the top of my list to solve the issues.

P0706 is a transmission error
P0306 is a misfire on cylinder 6
I don't recognize the B codes.

How do these translate to a dead ECU? Am I missing something?

Ed
Old 08-26-2023, 02:06 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lliejk
If the ECU works at all, I am having trouble understanding why it would need to be replaced. I guess some of the wiring connections to it could be suspect, but unless you have had water infiltration or some other event, I would not put replacing the ECU on the top of my list to solve the issues.

P0706 is a transmission error
P0306 is a misfire on cylinder 6
I don't recognize the B codes.

How do these translate to a dead ECU? Am I missing something?

Ed
I have read that Cobb reverses the numbers sometimes, so if that is happening it becomes

P0607 - Control Module Performance, so a problem with the ECU.
P0603 - The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has failed its own Keep Alive Memory (KAM) self-test.

If this was caused by flashing a tune, I think many people would be interested to hear this. Sorry this happened to you.
Old 08-26-2023, 02:21 AM
TV997S2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zakowsky
I have read that Cobb reverses the numbers sometimes, so if that is happening it becomes

P0607 - Control Module Performance, so a problem with the ECU.
P0603 - The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has failed its own Keep Alive Memory (KAM) self-test.

If this was caused by flashing a tune, I think many people would be interested to hear this. Sorry this happened to you.
Zakowsky, you're a genius. Yes, Cobb did reversed the numbers and that threw me off. I originally thought it was a coil pack issue when I was researching the reversed codes. You can see from the Vehicle Diagnostic Report below that the 2 main fault codes were exactly as you said.

Quick Reply: Cobb Access Port and 997 turbo ECU