Sponsored by:

Windshield Washer Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 02:57 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Windshield Washer Leak

It appears that I have a leak from the windshield washer tank. I used the windshield washer yesterday for the first time since owning the car at end of May so apparently something went wrong. The leak is emanating from below where the tank sits by the driver's front tire and there are white crystals formed along the edge of the fluid which dissolve upon contact with the fluid. I am not inclined to do my own mechanical work unless it's something simple and this doesn't look to be simple. Or is it? Who has had a similar problem and what did it take to get it fixed?

Old 09-04-2023, 04:01 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

You could take off the plastic panels on the top of the frunk and check the lines to see if one popped off. Just trace the lines from the refill tank to the spray nozzles. That would be pretty simple, especially if you find the line that popped off.
I used this video to replace the pump to the headlight washer. It's a good guide to getting to the tank itself.

Last edited by babylonboots; 09-04-2023 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-04-2023, 04:14 PM
rsalicrup
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 51 Posts

I had the same issue on mine. Remove the wheel and fender liner. I found it was leaking from the pump seal. I ordered a new pump and seal from FCP Euro. While I waited for the new pump and seal, I put an o-ring under the seal to see if it would hold till delivery. It did and it hasn’t leaked since. Still have the new pump and seal that I will install when I find the time to do my suspension and brakes.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:35 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

Washer pump replacement is fairly easy. Wheel and fender liner off, only 2 or 3 bolts hold the tank on but it is secured to the chassis with 2 pegs with grommets. The washer pump is inexpensive and is simple to snap in place. The only hard parts of the repair was getting the grommetted pegs on the washer tank to push into the holes they are supposed to go into and reinstalling the fender liner is a little tricky. All in all about a 45-60 minute repair. No need to purchase a Porsche branded part. The one I bought was $15 at FCP Euro.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...mp-67128362154

The following users liked this post:
harlanmott3 (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 01:11 PM
aasilvia
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

just did this repair and oddly enough did have some of the gunk thebruce mentioned. cleaned all that stuff off on the windshield washer pump housing, seals, etc and put everything back in hoping I wouldn't have to buy another pump since I also bench tested it and it worked fine. Unfortunately, I was still getting a leak. At first I thought it was the grommet the pump was mounted to, but I could see it was weaping from the hole on the pump itself.

Inspected the pump assembly further and thought may be it's the actual seal that goes on the motor shaft itself. Visibly, it didn't look damaged but I cleaned it again anyway and tried reinstalling it but no luck, still weaping. So I tried adding o rings that would fit the shaft. Adding the o rings (I used 3) and then putting on the original seal did the trick. My uninformed/ignorant diagnosis assumes the added pressure from the o rings likely squished the pump seal enough to ensure a more water tight fit.Tested the motor and no leaks, functioning wiper motor (which I'll never use anyway).

Last edited by aasilvia; 09-15-2023 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-15-2023, 01:23 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by aasilvia
just did this repair and oddly enough did have some of the gunk thebruce mentioned. cleaned all that stuff off on the windshield washer pump housing, seals, etc and put everything back in hoping I wouldn't have to buy another pump since I also bench tested it and it worked fine. Unfortunately, I was still getting a leak. At first I thought it was the grommet the pump was mounted to, but I could see it was weaping from the hole on the pump itself.

Inspected the pump assembly further and thought may be it's the actual seal that goes on the motor shaft itself. Visibly, it didn't look damaged but I cleaned it again anyway and tried reinstalling it but no luck, still weaping. So I tried adding o rings that would fit the shaft. Adding the o rings (I used 3) and then putting on the original seal did the trick. My uninformed/ignorant diagnosis assumes the added pressure from the o rings likely squished the pump seal enough to ensure a more water tight fit.Tested the motor and no leaks, functioning wiper motor (which I'll never use anyway).
Just curious, why not just put in a new pump while you were there? They are dirt cheap.
Old 09-15-2023, 01:43 PM
aasilvia
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I kicked this can down the road because it's not my daily and never drive it in inclement weather. that said, the fix was easy enough that when I do make my next pelican parts order, the pump will be on the list for future repairs. Also, it's a 100% functioning water pump, so a repair vs replace is reasonable.

Last edited by aasilvia; 09-15-2023 at 01:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Leak