Sponsored by:

suspension upgrade thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 04:20 PM
tonupbklyn
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts
Default suspension upgrade thoughts

any owners have gone any of these similar sequence of upgrades...and have noticed significant (positive) differences after each step?

stock --> +DSC --> +lowering springs --> +coilovers --> +sway bars

stock --> +DSC --> +lowering springs +sway bars --> +coilovers

stock --> +DSC --> +lowering springs --> +coilovers +sway bars

stock --> +DSC --> +lowering springs +coilovers +sway bars

i have just the DSC at the moment...and contemplating whether to go next step with just lower springs or go full monty right away.
this will be 100% for street, no track.

Last edited by tonupbklyn; 11-27-2023 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:57 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

Define positive!

More comfort, or more body control?

Lowering springs are negated by coilovers, which will have ride height adjustment.

Swaybars will improve body roll, but transmit 'bumps' to opposite wheel.

DSC will soften OE dampers during low G force driving. But to realize the real positives of the controller - fast damper change - Tractive dampers are required.

Also an alignment for performance should be considered.

Enjoy!

Old 11-27-2023, 10:19 PM
tonupbklyn
Racer

Originally Posted by Rig.Stunts
Define positive!

More comfort, or more body control?

Lowering springs are negated by coilovers, which will have ride height adjustment.

Swaybars will improve body roll, but transmit 'bumps' to opposite wheel.

DSC will soften OE dampers during low G force driving. But to realize the real positives of the controller - fast damper change - Tractive dampers are required.

Also an alignment for performance should be considered.

Enjoy!
good lord, man... you're not helping!...ha!

agreed, 'positive' could mean different things to each person.

i also assume that any of the mechanical mods I've indicated above are not going to equate to a more "comfortable" ride... rather, a more "compliant" one.

i don't drive around town in the pcar. it's mostly/entirely Sunday rides on windy roads and highway around my neck of woods (Westchester and CT, for those who know the NY area of US)... fairly smooth pavements.

with that in mind, with already having DSC, do i go a first step with lowering springs only, or go full hog with the additional components I've noted?

​​​​​

​​​​
Old 11-27-2023, 11:05 PM
IHTFP
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

If you haven't done this already, I would also consider new RS hardness bushings all around.
Old 11-28-2023, 01:44 AM
changster123
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 43 Posts

I would go straight to full coilovers, kinematics, sway, corner balance.

I have the above with Tractive RTx’s on 110Nm/150Nm springs which is supposed to be the track spring rate. With good dampers you should not worry about being too overly sprung. Sometimes I wonder if I need even stiffer springs because it’s so compliant. Compliant meaning it is stiff with fantastic platform control but absorbs all the bumps with ease.

My 997.2 Turbo S handles like it’s on rails. It’s also very very compliant on the street. This car sees both track and street duty. To be honest the feel like I can never go back to any OEM suspension on any car except the daily family SUV.
The following users liked this post:
cjcam930 (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 11:18 AM
MV911T
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Some KW coilovers, swaybars and corner balance. It will be a different world after that.
Old 11-28-2023, 01:00 PM
wcarson
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I have DSC, GMG lowering springs, and GMG swaybars. Street driven only. I’m very happy with my set up. It’s certainly less expensive than going with a full coil over conversion.
Old 11-28-2023, 01:09 PM
charsiuboar
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Are folks putting lowering springs on OE (PASM) dampeners? Doesn’t that cause accelerated wear and/or potential for blowing out the internal pistons?

Old 11-28-2023, 01:18 PM
tonupbklyn
Racer

Originally Posted by wcarson
I have DSC, GMG lowering springs, and GMG swaybars. Street driven only. I’m very happy with my set up. It’s certainly less expensive than going with a full coil over conversion.
this combo (different mfr) is where my head is... but what I'm curious to know from other owners is going from this setup to then adding coilovers, is that a massive difference? or is this basic setup w/o coilovers pretty much equivalent?
Old 11-28-2023, 02:03 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Upgrading suspension is not easy, but rewarding!

Consensus is DSC with B16 coilovers, and an alignment. Keeps PASM. DSC box performs at reduced potential.

Adding Tractive coilovers with appropriate spring rates, and an alignment is your deluxe solution. Replaces PASM

Sways without LCAs and aggressive alignment is a waste of money that will unnecessarily reduce street compliance.

Sell the controller, and go Ohlins or KW coilovers - brilliant, well sorted. Loses PASM. This sets you up to enter the 'full send' path - front LCAs, sways and much, much more. Folks may say this is only for track, I disagree, it works amazing for street. Though you will lose all 'daily' enjoyment. Degrades resale value . . .

Having fun yet?
Old 11-28-2023, 02:32 PM
tonupbklyn
Racer

Originally Posted by Rig.Stunts
Upgrading suspension is not easy, but rewarding!

Consensus is DSC with B16 coilovers, and an alignment. Keeps PASM. DSC box performs at reduced potential.
dsc+springs vs dsc+b16...how big a difference between the two? "holy cow, night/day difference!"...or more like "eh, it's marginally better"?

Old 11-28-2023, 03:23 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

I'll guess marginal . . .

The Holy Cow moments happen with increased front track and increased front negative camber
The following users liked this post:
changster123 (11-28-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 04:17 PM
tonupbklyn
Racer

i think i'm headed toward b16s and steel brake lines.
question is do i add thicker sway bars now...or give this setup a go for awhile?
Old 11-29-2023, 11:20 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Save sways for later stage tuning.

When lowering you may have to deal with geo changes. This may mean more shiny bits . . .

Adjustable front LCAs next for the win.
Old 11-30-2023, 05:37 AM
Ruri
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive in the SoCal canyons half the time then other half is driving to car meets or around town.
I did the DSC first and this mod kept me from selling the Turbo.
then I changed the rear way bar and bushings to the GT2 OEM one.this made the tail end rotate out a little more on turns and eliminated the pushing.
i ordered some Tarrett sway bar links, Bilstein B8s, and I’m waiting on a set of spring. I ordered these last parts during Covid and they have been coming in batches.
I’ll report back how this setup feels if I can ever get it on.

During this last part of this project I picked up a 997.1 GT3 and lost interest in the Turbo. The handling compared to my current Turbo setup is leaps ahead of the Turbo in the canyons. I can effortlessly add 15-20 MPH in the same turns as my Turbo.

Quick Reply: suspension upgrade thoughts