Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Turbo is on the verge of becoming a collectable.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 06:53 AM
Gilbert Han
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 997 Turbo is on the verge of becoming a collectable.

Based on the price analysis from this YouTuber, 997.2 Turbo S value increased by 1% from the last year.
$30,000 premium for the manual 997.1 turbo over auto 997.1 turbo
997.1 Turbo price decreased by 3.5% ~ 3.9% from the last year

check out this video. More detailed stats are there. Comment your opinion if you agree or disagree.

Old 04-08-2024, 07:23 AM
rosemont83
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Hopefully it doesn't until I can buy another one lol
Old 04-08-2024, 09:54 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 418 Likes on 260 Posts

I think its been a collectible for awhile

have a buddy wanting one who has been "waiting for prices to drop" for quite some time now.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
strato58
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Don't care no plans to sell
The following 5 users liked this post by strato58:
cakM3 (04-11-2024), cyclrder (04-09-2024), Kevin8tor (04-08-2024), mavfan909 (04-10-2024), NSXavier (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 10:24 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 234 Posts

Until folks get into the big repairs and then sell at lower prices to avoid the big maintenance bills.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:38 AM
TurboTime997
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Personally, I think age is the only indicator of when a 911 becomes collectable. Every 911 becomes collectable with enough of a passage of time from when production ends. And cars beyond a regular Carrera seem to have a shorter time to collectability. Every person who owns a 911 can tell you what makes their era of choice special and unique. And that's what's interesting about 911s---they're so customizable within the technology of a given era.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:18 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 418 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDeckMan
Until folks get into the big repairs and then sell at lower prices to avoid the big maintenance bills.
We talking McLarens or Turbo Mezgers here?

Although this article is about a 996TT, pretty sure same will hold true for 997s:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/othe...ff/ar-BB1ldiA1

" I walked into the dealership and asked the mechanic about the 911 Turbo. I asked, “Have you seen anything about this car I need to worry about?” He said, “This car is bulletproof. Just change the oil. That’s all you have to do.” When I told the salesman that I wanted the 911 Turbo, he said, “Most of my clients are repeat customers and they keep trading up to the Turbo. But not you.” I was going straight for the top. Now nearly 21 years later, this car is still my daily driver. It has over 700,000 miles..."

Old 04-08-2024, 01:20 PM
Kevin8tor
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 118 Posts

More likely just with owners who are reaching above their comfort zone (knowingly, or not) and have to resort to financing to buy these cars. I know some may finance despite having the means for a variety of reasons; I'm talking about the punters who couldn't stroke a check to make an $80-130k purchase if their life depended on it. My head spins when I read about another yin-yang attempting to daily drive their financed TT (or similar car), and think it's going to deliver everyday usability like their old 4Runner did. They are special cars that remain special by taking great care of them, and using them for their intended purpose; high-performance driving. I re-commission my car every year with a full service at my preferred indy and my standing instructions are find everything that needs to be done and do it. If you're not in a position to do that with any thoroughbred car such as this, you are going to be in for a big hurt sooner or later.

Last edited by Kevin8tor; 04-08-2024 at 01:22 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Kevin8tor:
JJ10T (04-15-2024), Rig.Stunts (04-08-2024), travs_997 (04-13-2024), vtec_ (04-09-2024), yotracr (04-20-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 01:44 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mchrono
We talking McLarens or Turbo Mezgers here?

Although this article is about a 996TT, pretty sure same will hold true for 997s:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/othe...ff/ar-BB1ldiA1

" I walked into the dealership and asked the mechanic about the 911 Turbo. I asked, “Have you seen anything about this car I need to worry about?” He said, “This car is bulletproof. Just change the oil. That’s all you have to do.” When I told the salesman that I wanted the 911 Turbo, he said, “Most of my clients are repeat customers and they keep trading up to the Turbo. But not you.” I was going straight for the top. Now nearly 21 years later, this car is still my daily driver. It has over 700,000 miles..."
996tt > 997tt from the servicing standpoint in my experience. The cheapening out on hardware/complexity of the 997tt's VGT's throws a good wrench into the works. My 997tt has been sitting on a lift since 2021 with 50k miles after one of the VGT's seized up. Finding a set of rebuildable turbos took almost 2 years. Currently awaiting the return of them from Kevin.

Originally Posted by Kevin8tor
More likely just with owners who are reaching above their comfort zone (knowingly, or not) and have to resort to financing to buy these cars. I know some may finance despite having the means for a variety of reasons; I'm talking about the punters who couldn't stroke a check to make an $80-130k purchase if their life depended on it. My head spins when I read about another yin-yang attempting to daily drive their financed TT (or similar car), and think it's going to deliver everyday usability like their old 4Runner did. They are special cars that remain special by taking great care of them, and using them for their intended purpose; high-performance driving. I re-commission my car every year with a full service at my preferred indy and my standing instructions are find everything that needs to be done and do it. If you're not in a position to do that with any thoroughbred car such as this, you are going to be in for a big hurt sooner or later.
Agreed, this is where the prices most likely start to drop and level out because of the over spent on purchase then having to do some major service work that was not part of "planned normal maintenance", the entire social media/youtube influencer nonsense of "buy while you still can, drive while your investment appreciates" skewed the numbers and has seemed to fill many folks with FOMO. Keeping old turbos running for the long haul is not for the faint of heart.

Last edited by TheDeckMan; 04-08-2024 at 01:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rig.Stunts (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 03:24 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

Four wheel trader's methods are usually spot on - he's likely correct in this analysis.

No doubt old TT ownership is a commitment financially.

It's also one of patience, as mentioned above, parts are hard to obtain in a timely way.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:01 PM
harlanmott3
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 94 Posts

996tt > 997tt from the servicing standpoint in my experience. The cheapening out on hardware/complexity of the 997tt's VGT's throws a good wrench into the works. My 997tt has been sitting on a lift since 2021 with 50k miles after one of the VGT's seized up. Finding a set of rebuildable turbos took almost 2 years. Currently awaiting the return of them from Kevin.
t.
I'd say you just didn't try very hard then. I have 2 sets of vgt's right now. Got them on accident really, saw a cheap deal on a set so I bought them and rebuilt instead of rebuilding mine. Mine didn't need rebuilt but i wanted to upgrade so now I have rebuilt vgt's with 65's in them. Anyway, I spent about an hour looking for a good set, 2 years is just not trying.
The following users liked this post:
snolvr (04-09-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 07:18 PM
FrtisFrtnaAdvt
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

About to apply to Shark Tank for a unique business opportunity based off of this thread.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:34 AM
vtec_
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin8tor
This is how I feel about BMW and Mercedez drivers.

Im not a german car guy tbh, my 996 TT is my first european car but I did alot of research before buying it and can handle the maintenance myself. The parts sure are pricey though!
Old 04-09-2024, 08:19 AM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 127 Posts

yeah.. not with the 997.2 they are proving to be very reliable without the "gotchas' of the previous cars... are those VGT issues with the .1 or .2 cars?? I haven't heard anything about those issues with the DFI engine.

Last edited by cyclrder; 04-09-2024 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:06 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cyclrder
yeah.. not with the 997.2 they are proving to be very reliable without the "gotchas' of the previous cars... are those VGT issues with the .1 or .2 cars?? I haven't heard anything about those issues with the DFI engine.
The 997.1 VGT's are problematic from seized up vanes, according to Kevin this is a common issue and usable cores are getting super hard to find. It took me buying 2 sets to get one good pair. Lots of folks crack the exhaust side housing, break off bolts for the oil/coolant lines that then have to be drilled/milled or EDM'ed out. The EGT threads are super easy to have the threads strip out of the housing even using heat/lubricant, this requires further machining/plugging/welding. Getting some of the coolant lines for the turbos has been hit or miss if they get messed up in the replacement for the .1 cars. EGT's the same.

Compared to my 996tt, the 997tt has a much higher cost of maintenance per mile in my experience.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo is on the verge of becoming a collectable.