997TT Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 12:01 AM
cableguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997TT Wheels

What do you think of the 997TT Wheels.

Anyone chaning them and if so, what wheels are you thinking?
Old 05-19-2006, 12:49 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

I like the wheels, but they do look similar to the latest AMG style wheels. Not that its a bad thing. Anyone else see the similarity?
Old 05-19-2006, 01:06 AM
cableguy
Racer

I can see what you're saying.

if you change weels, would you keep 19s or put on 20s?
Old 05-19-2006, 01:40 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

I am far from any kind of an expert on the subject, but I tend to stay with stock wheel choices. For me, the decision of having 19" versus 20" wheels for the kind of driving I do would be about the looks of the wheels.

If I am fortunate enough to have the patience to survive through the well know sequence of events over the next 6-8 months:

1. I placed the deposit...
2. Got on the waiting list...
3. Selected from the order guide...
4. Receive the build status printouts...
5. Told it's on the water...
6. Now at the port being PDI'd...
7. It's enroute to the dealership...
8. Arrange the financing...

- then -

I will be forever grateful to hang on and use the wheels that came on the car!
Old 05-19-2006, 10:14 AM
drbf
Pro

I wonder if the Carrera Sport Wheels will fit. I do not like the stock TT wheels
Old 06-07-2006, 03:06 PM
kuchigalore
8th Gear

I'm a huge fan of the 997TT, don't get me wrong, but these wheels need to go! Saying these wheels look like AMG wheels quite frankly is an insult to MB and to AMG. Porsche needs to change these wheels to the ones on the GT2 or GT3, which INMHO completely destroy the current TT wheels. If you' d like to see where Porsche got the inspiration for the new wheels, check out the link below.
http://research.cars.com/go/crp/rese...=&aff=national
Old 06-07-2006, 03:26 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Let's see the stock 997TT wheel is a forged BBS. Hmmm....good enough for me. When HRE or some of the others start winning races I'll consider their wheels.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:49 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,174 Likes on 577 Posts

The stock wheels are the exact same offset as the 19" carrera classics and sports from the C4 widebodies. They should be interchangeable. Interestingly enough, if you choose not to opt for the PCCB then you can use am 18" wheel which would be more amenable for track usage due to the wider availability of R-compounds. The 19" r compounds are $500!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:15 PM
drbf
Pro

Originally Posted by eclou
The stock wheels are the exact same offset as the 19" carrera classics and sports from the C4 widebodies. They should be interchangeable. Interestingly enough, if you choose not to opt for the PCCB then you can use am 18" wheel which would be more amenable for track usage due to the wider availability of R-compounds. The 19" r compounds are $500!
If the Carrera sport wheels fit the TT, I will probably use the ones on my C4S.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Carbon_Ted
Advanced

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
I like the wheels, but they do look similar to the latest AMG style wheels. Not that its a bad thing. Anyone else see the similarity?
You must mean these AMG's? I think I like the simplicity of the double spoke better than Turbo's triple 5-spoke.
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2006, 11:16 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carbon_Ted
You must mean these AMG's? I think I like the simplicity of the double spoke better than Turbo's triple 5-spoke.

Yes, those are them. Why the other poster thought this was an insult to the AMG wheel is beyond me. Just because he is convinced the 997TT wheels need to go, doesn't mean he that my comment was insulting. Also, kuchigalore, you stated that Porsche was "inspired" by Mitsubishi for it's wheel designs. How can you substantiate that claim?

I stated that the wheels looked similar, not that one was better than the other.

I think kuchigalore's first post here on the forum was pretty aggressive.

Hmm, the nerve of some people.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:18 AM
kuchigalore
8th Gear

I didn't mean to offend anyone, and I do apologize to you mastiffdog, for my aggressive first post. I'm just very enthusiastic about the TT, and basically the only thing I do not love on the car is the wheels. Where they inspired by Mitsubishi's Eclipse? You and I both know probably not, but they sure do look a hell of a lot like them! I'm just saying I think they could have done better because the GT3 and GT2 wheels (which I've seen only from some spy pics) do look killer, even better than most AMG wheels...No offence to anyone and cheers to all!!!
Old 06-08-2006, 11:45 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,174 Likes on 577 Posts

I think the wheels are not in line with anything else Porsche has done wheel-wise. If it is a matter of form following function and they weigh a scant 17lbs, then fine. If they weigh 27lbs, then they are pieces of crap and I will be mounting some carrera classics or Kinesis ASAP. Too aggressive for my 1145th post?
Old 06-08-2006, 11:50 AM
FlyingLow
Racer

The TT wheels are VERY similar to the factory wheels on my wife's S-Type R. They will be the second thing I change.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:42 PM
rzundel
Instructor

Wait till you see the wheels in person before you pass judgement. I personally like the wheels. In fact, I bought a pair to install on my new C4s Cab. They look great and have received a positive response. The design is clean and aggressive. They look like something you would find on a high end sport car. They are a forged wheel with a polished face. Much nicer than the typical silver painted wheel. Hats off to Porsche for moving forward with design.

Quick Reply: 997TT Wheels