Sponsored by:

New turbo test drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Arrow New turbo test drive

I had an opportunity to drive a new 997TT today, and push it around a bit. Overall, a nice improvement over the 996. A few points:
  • turbo lag still noticable (and longish), but the torque comes up more suddenly than the 996TT.
  • total amount of pull is about what I had on my 996TT with a chip.
  • steering feel is good and similar to 997 gen C4S - all wheel drive.
  • ride quality is soft but controlled. The the PASM settings seem dialed toward the softer side on both normal and 'sport' modes.
  • Contrary to what has been written, it's not nearly as as fast as the CGT.
  • You feel the extra weight a bit, compared to the standard Carrera.
  • Exhaust sound is on the quiet side, but a little lower in pitch (slight rumble).
  • Clutch is lighter, with more assist, but not as long as the 996TT clutch. It feels like the 997S clutch with less effort.
  • Gear shift feel is very close to the other 997s.
  • wheels still look ugly in person to me.
  • Let's see how long it takes the aftermarket to offer nicer exhaust tips. The OEM tips are just bolted on.
  • Reminded me why I like NA motors better.

I'm sure turbo drivers will love this new car. It is definitely an improvement dynamically over the 996TT.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:52 PM
355Spider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray G
I had an opportunity to drive a new 997TT today, and push it around a bit. Overall, a nice improvement over the 996. A few points:
  • turbo lag still noticable (and longish), but the torque comes up more suddenly than the 996TT.
  • ride quality is soft but controlled. The the PASM settings seem dialed toward the softer side on both normal and 'sport' modes.
  • Exhaust sound is on the quiet side, but a little lower in pitch (slight rumble).
  • Clutch is lighter, with more assist, but not as long as the 996TT clutch. It feels like the 997S clutch with less effort.
  • Let's see how long it takes the aftermarket to offer nicer exhaust tips. The OEM tips are just bolted on.

I'm sure turbo drivers will love this new car. It is definitely an improvement dynamically over the 996TT.
That's dissapointing after all the hype. I really wanted this car to get back to it's roots. I thought the 996TT was a collosal waste as a sports car. All that power with all that numnbess and soft supension dialed in. Did it come with the sport chrono? I was hoping this would give the supsension that edge the 996 was lacking.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Persuader
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 355Spider
That's dissapointing after all the hype. I really wanted this car to get back to it's roots. I thought the 996TT was a collosal waste as a sports car. All that power with all that numnbess and soft supension dialed in. Did it come with the sport chrono? I was hoping this would give the supsension that edge the 996 was lacking.
Surely you can adjust the PASM suspension Sport/Normal without Sport Chrono, same as you can with non-turbo?
Old 06-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Location: Fishers, Indiana (USA) and Barrie, Ontario (Canada)

I just cannot get excited about the latest two Porsche Turbos. They seem too soft and boring to me.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Persuader
Instructor

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
I just cannot get excited about the latest two Porsche Turbos. They seem too soft and boring to me.
Can't imagine how a car that out accelerates and possibly outhandles a Ferrari F430 can be soft & boring. Will find out soon when i get mine.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:10 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

What car in the price range of the 997TT would you prefer that would not leave you bored or drive softly?
Old 06-22-2006, 05:35 PM
355Spider
Advanced

Originally Posted by Persuader
Can't imagine how a car that out accelerates and possibly outhandles a Ferrari F430 can be soft & boring. Will find out soon when i get mine.
Drive a 430 or a 360CS and a 996TT back to back and you will quickly see how Ferrari charges the premium. The 996TT was one of the most boring cars to drive in my book. It was like a really fast couch. Comfy yes, exciting no. Now my buddies GT2 is simply awe inspiring. Absolutely phenominal. Not as fun as a Stradale but close.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:37 PM
355Spider
Advanced

Originally Posted by Persuader
Surely you can adjust the PASM suspension Sport/Normal without Sport Chrono, same as you can with non-turbo?
You would think so and I have head that you can. If I remember correctly the 996TT did not hav that option. It just felt soft all the time. And when you boosted the hp about 500 it was downright scary. The engine way overpowered the supsension and brakes. I didn't like that floaty feeling while I was tearing up real estate so fast.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:31 PM
Philip in AL
Pro

I know what he is saying about boring. When I test drove the 996TT I also felt like it was "boring". Like a fast luxury car that you were along for the ride in. No thrill, no rush. Sure, its fast and handles well, but the thrill is just not there. That's why I bought a 996 GT3.

I was hoping that the 997TT would return the "thrill". I'm still up in the air on a 997TT or 997 Gt3. Once I hear more driving reports, I'll decide. Please, for anyone who gets to own the new one and has owned a 996 TT, give me some feedback as to whether or not Porsche brought the "thrill" factor back to the TT. Thanks
Old 06-22-2006, 06:40 PM
drbf
Pro

Please explain the "Lag", that was not suppose to happen with the 997TT
Old 06-23-2006, 12:31 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

OK OK OK OK OK

Drove it todayat the dealer where I have the first RS on HOLD!

Black/Black with PCCB II, adptive seats, carbon, short shift and sport chrono.

My current ride is a 997 C4S Cab.

-Turbo Lag, fer Sure but not bad. Great Power for a street ride. All you need and then some due to real world traffic!
-I drove several 996 TT's but never bought because it did not have "Oh Sh*t I'm going too fast" power. This doesn't either. But I've driven very fast non-street cars.
-Handling absolutely blows away my C4S Cab. Sales manager who took me out told me the new diff lock was scary good, and it IS. Almost takes the fun out of scary driving. On the track it may be downright soporific.
-Ride, like my C4S
-Weight and steering are very very good. less front end weight than my C4S as well. Almost C2-like.
_Exhaust is quiet. Definately quieter than my PSE.
-Never drove a CGT, but I have driven cars faster than this.
-Clutch is spooky light. High engagement vs mine and small take-up zone. But nothing too difficult. Just idiosynchratic.
-Wheels are not initially my cup of tea. But could grow on me.

Noo problems with the look of the exhaust here, iin fact it's Bitchin' fer shure!

My problem is not really a problem. I love my C4S Cab and it's all I can eat on the street. The menacing Black TT is just not me I guess. Too much power for the street and it's a Coupe. I love Cabs.

Yah', that's the ticket..it's too fast, I don't need it...Yah'

Tomorrow I might wake up and go give 'em the check!!!!

Hell, my RS isn't due till next Spring...Did I tell ya I was a fool for yellow calipers?

But
Old 06-23-2006, 12:37 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Allegretto,

Go buy the freakin' Turbo, life's too short, have some fun now, heck you got all summer to burn ...
Old 06-23-2006, 12:43 AM
dk996tt
Instructor

the car is very comfortable for sure. however, with the sport button engaged, i could definitely say that the ride was not "soft" i think it is a good to have the option of "soft" in normal everyday driving mode as i would like to keep my teeth intact for the next 30 years. i honestly think the sport mode is not too soft.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:24 PM
355Spider
Advanced

Originally Posted by Philip in AL
I know what he is saying about boring. When I test drove the 996TT I also felt like it was "boring". Like a fast luxury car that you were along for the ride in. No thrill, no rush. Sure, its fast and handles well, but the thrill is just not there. That's why I bought a 996 GT3.

I was hoping that the 997TT would return the "thrill". I'm still up in the air on a 997TT or 997 Gt3. Once I hear more driving reports, I'll decide. Please, for anyone who gets to own the new one and has owned a 996 TT, give me some feedback as to whether or not Porsche brought the "thrill" factor back to the TT. Thanks
The problem is hat most people that own them think they are exciting. They are Gt3/Gt2 guys like you and I. Different crowd all together.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 355Spider
I would not say it was numb, just dialied more toward the comfort side. IMO the 996 and 997 Turbos are targeting the GT street driver (not track) customer. I liked the feeling better than my 996TT.

Yes the car I drove had sport chrono, and we played with it to feel overboost. You can feel it. And yes, I pushed the car pretty hard, flooring it many times and drove it hard around corners.

Several things I thought were improved:

* the clutch feel - not as long or light feeling
* the shifter - it feels like the other 997s now.
* the ride
* more torque without paying for X50
* 997 headlights

I'm not here to dis this car. I have one on order. I just felt it was not as good as I was expecting. But, then I am spoiled. The turbo lag I think is MORE apparent in this generation because instead of slowly ramping up boost, it turns on like a switch. If you already have a chipped 996TT, you won't be blown away with the power of this new TT. But DYNAMICALLY it is a real improvement.

Quick Reply: New turbo test drive