Sponsored by:

Do I need this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:38 PM
6flat
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do I need this?

I have had a 996 and a 993 C4S. I've had a 2007 997 C2S for about 8 months. I don't miss my 993 because this car is incredibly more capable and very pretty.

For the last month I've been toying with the idea of getting a 997 turbo. I probably have not even explored the capabilities of my C2S but am infatuated with the horsepower/torque and original 993 engine block that the turbo has.

Am I crazy? Would the jump be worth it?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:17 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in the same boat. If you have the means, nothing beats getting a new 911 Turbo! I traded my 997C2S in for it and I'm not looking back. The TT is an awesome maching. Of course I haven't pushed it yet, but once the turbo spools up, its scary fast!

Go for it!
Old 04-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 517 Posts

I'm still torn about the same thing - my options are to get a 997 C4S plus another car or just go for the turbo. On a lease, my dealer is quoting me almost $500/month more for the turbo. I need to decide if it's worth the extra $6K/yr. Granted I can write off some of it, or possibly do it in pre-tax dollars through the business. Very tough decision - especially since I drove a 993TT for such a long time.

My other thought was to get the C4S as a daily driver and build a big block factory five roadster as a long term project for the times I just want to tear up the pavement.

Last edited by Dr. G; 04-26-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:37 PM
6flat
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have this feeling, perhaps irrational, that the overengineered engine block in a turbo has more longevity than the new engine in the 997 which many have considered less sturdy and far cheaper to build.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Subbie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its worth doing its worth over doing. If you can afford it why question it, personally, I have never been able to settle for less whatever "it" was.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:06 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Subbie
If its worth doing its worth over doing. If you can afford it why question it, personally, I have never been able to settle for less whatever "it" was.
i agree. i had both a 997c4s and now have a 997tt-if you can afford it, definitely get the turbo. the only issue that i could understand is comparing a 997s versus the turbo, as the 997s has a lighter, more tossable feel than the turbo. some may prefer this ride and handling to the turbo's heavier feel
Old 04-26-2007, 10:01 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The residual on a TT is far higher than a C4S, thus your lease payments are close. Don't spend a 100k on a m96/7 derived c4s when a TT is just a little more. Everytime you see a TT you'll wish you had one. Plus the 6k difference isn't going to buy/build anythig decent as a 'second car' anyway.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:32 PM
blkc4sny
Instructor

I'm in a similar situation, I have a low mileage 4k 996 C4S and now looking at a Turbo. On one hand I have hardly driven my C4S, but on the otherhand, the Turbo is what Porsche is about. The dealers I have spoken to will give me 59K at most for trade in, not sure if this is a good deal, when I see several C4S on dealer sites advertised at $70-$74K. Should I try selling it privately or take the trade in and call it a day????
Old 04-27-2007, 12:55 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I'm still torn about the same thing - my options are to get a 997 C4S plus another car or just go for the turbo. On a lease, my dealer is quoting me almost $500/month more for the turbo. I need to decide if it's worth the extra $6K/yr. Granted I can write off some of it, or possibly do it in pre-tax dollars through the business. Very tough decision - especially since I drove a 993TT for such a long time.

My other thought was to get the C4S as a daily driver and build a big block factory five roadster as a long term project for the times I just want to tear up the pavement.
The best way is to drive both. Many dealers finally have cars you can drive or in my case a lot of my friends bought turbos. Personally I decided to buy a C4S mainly because IMHO the C4S looked and sounded better for around 30K less. All that was missing was the extra HP which would be fun for a while, but really was meaningless in the real world. Fortunately I've got other cars to drive when I feel the need for more straight line acceleration. Both great cars so either way you cannot go wrong. BTW, if you don't mind the rear wing, also consider the GT3. I haven't driven one but based on the road tests it sounds like the ultimate 911. And it sounds heavenly.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:05 AM
pbsaz
Intermediate

I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh as I thought I was alone in this illogical personal debate. I won the debate and traded my 2 month old 997 S for a 997TT. I love this car. I just had the factory short shifter installed and love it that much more. No doubt that it's financially better to sell privately but it's not worth the security risk to me to have strangers know where I live. I had one car stolen after listing it in the paper and was in the courtroom at the murder trial where the victim was killed on a "test ride" with a prospective buyer. Granted this isn't common but we all do what's best for us.

Good luck whatever your decision.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:14 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Pvt sales will get the most cash, and the most tire kickers, and assorted nuts without a doubt. I once sold a car and the guy kept coming back to me with minor complaints for a yr, not worth the extra few hundred dollars in the end. Trading it in is a more sterile way to dump a car if you will.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:31 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by docjackson1
i agree. i had both a 997c4s and now have a 997tt-if you can afford it, definitely get the turbo. the only issue that i could understand is comparing a 997s versus the turbo, as the 997s has a lighter, more tossable feel than the turbo. some may prefer this ride and handling to the turbo's heavier feel

Your starting to freak me out here. My Turbo is arriving in a matter of days and I just sold my 2005 997S. I have high expectations for the turbo and will post a comparison after a week or so behind the wheel. I hope this was not a big mistake? I can afford the move, I only can hope that it was a smart one. If this Turbo is not worthy of that comparison I would be surprised, time will tell if the "for sale" sign goes on this car or not. If I flip it I take a loss on the taxes but with a $5K discount should be able to recoupe most of the vehicles cost (if its done fairly quickly with few miles). I then would immediately get my name on a list for a GT3. I'm sure the turbo will perform like I expect it to and then some. The exhaust note and slight lag can be easily remedied.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:38 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

gt3...
Old 05-02-2007, 02:05 AM
Chris 996
Racer

Originally Posted by gradyex
Your starting to freak me out here. My Turbo is arriving in a matter of days and I just sold my 2005 997S. I have high expectations for the turbo and will post a comparison after a week or so behind the wheel. I hope this was not a big mistake? I can afford the move, I only can hope that it was a smart one. If this Turbo is not worthy of that comparison I would be surprised, time will tell if the "for sale" sign goes on this car or not. If I flip it I take a loss on the taxes but with a $5K discount should be able to recoupe most of the vehicles cost (if its done fairly quickly with few miles). I then would immediately get my name on a list for a GT3. I'm sure the turbo will perform like I expect it to and then some. The exhaust note and slight lag can be easily remedied.
Have you driven a turbo before? It would be good to find a dealership that would allow you to test drive one.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:22 AM
Turbofire
Advanced

6flat-

First, know that I have never owned a Porsche of any kind before.

After looking at the Porsche website and studying the models, I was pretty sure the C4S was for me.
After a test drive, I was even more convinced to get the C4S. I was also very much leaning toward the targa, since that was really the car I lusted after in 1969. But the "all glass roof" seemed like it was going to be hot... ultimately, just the thought of having any Porsche in my garage was quite a thrill for me.

But... two weeks after the C4S test drive, when we stopped at our neighborhood dealer so I could show the wife the cars, she said "you dont want that C4S thing, get the black turbo... you know you always want the best". That was her point of view. I am still not sure if she just liked the fact that it was black or that it was a turbo.
I was totally thrown for a loop. I had not even considered the turbo. I had not even seen one yet.

Anyway, I agonized about the turbo for a long time that day at the dealer.
Mostly because I was having a hard time justifying the extra money, even though "we could afford it" I kept telling myself.

Eventually, we drove out with the turbo.

I am really happy with the turbo, and I am obviously still learning it's capabilities.
So, from a first time Porsche guy, I reccomend the turbo if you can.
Ten years from now, I know I wont be thinking about the cost difference either at the time of purchase or what it is worth then.

Quick Reply: Do I need this?