Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experiences with the extra boost with chrono please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:21 PM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experiences with the extra boost with chrono please.

I haven't seen any talk from you guys who broke your tt's in and have played with the new found power. I have 410 mi. on mine and can't wait to hit it.

Those who have broken there cars in please detail the cars power and sports chrono 10 sec. power increase.

Last edited by whyb2nd; 06-27-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:52 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,170 Likes on 575 Posts

you'll never see 10 seconds of overboost unless you are climbing a hill while towing a trailer in 6th. The motor revs too fast between 2000 and 5000 rpms
Old 06-27-2007, 12:01 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Ya I was wondering about that, rpms climb too fast then shift(I have 6spd) which takes your foot out of it and it's lost.

So what's it like?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:27 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

I explain it like this..

With the sport button off, the car feels like a leer jet at take off.
With the sport button on, the car feels like a fighter jet.

So essentially, it goes from insane to INSANE !!!

But seriously, when you turn on the sport button, you don't really notice the overboost specifically. You notice the entire car change attitude. The suspension stiffens up, the responsiveness of the throttle is immediate.
Instead of finding the sweet spot 30% into the throttle, the car starts to draw massive power at the top of the pedal.. It's a great feeling, I only give one warning, you have to be careful how you pull away at a light. If you are set in sport mode, It's easy to "seizure" the care. You know, that weird feeling when you give a car too much gas, then you lift off and it almost stalls,...

The throttle is way more sensitive and you need to adjust for it.

B
Old 06-27-2007, 01:32 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

^Ditto
Old 06-27-2007, 02:09 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by B-Line
I explain it like this..

With the sport button off, the car feels like a leer jet at take off.
With the sport button on, the car feels like a fighter jet.

So essentially, it goes from insane to INSANE !!!

But seriously, when you turn on the sport button, you don't really notice the overboost specifically. You notice the entire car change attitude. The suspension stiffens up, the responsiveness of the throttle is immediate.
Instead of finding the sweet spot 30% into the throttle, the car starts to draw massive power at the top of the pedal.. It's a great feeling, I only give one warning, you have to be careful how you pull away at a light. If you are set in sport mode, It's easy to "seizure" the care. You know, that weird feeling when you give a car too much gas, then you lift off and it almost stalls,...

The throttle is way more sensitive and you need to adjust for it.
B

I agree with the sport setting, sets the car up totally different with more road feel and throttle response is touchy. I'm not sure on power adds since I am breaking the car in by the book, not going over 4,200 rpm and no more then half throttle. The car feels very strong compared to my 01 X50..I just want to stab it and enjoy.

Thanks for the future expectations.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:17 AM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by whyb2nd
I haven't seen any talk from you guys who broke your tt's in and have played with the new found power. I have 410 mi. on mine and can't wait to hit it.

Those who have broken there cars in please detail the cars power and sports chrono 10 sec. power increase.
when you're ready for some real fun, chip it and enjoy overboost till redline, no more 10 second BS.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:25 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

I'm on it already, first mod after break in....thanks.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:46 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

They told me to break it in HARD, because the piston rings are much harder in this Turbo engine. I'm going sort of easy these first 500 miles then it's gonna be driven to it's maximum potential!
Old 06-28-2007, 05:51 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I noticed that when in sport mode...at times when I lift off the throttle the car still seems to be pulling like the pedal is still depressed...I hope you follow what I am saying here...it does not happen all the time though...has anyone else had this issue?
Old 06-29-2007, 02:03 AM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by raclaims
I noticed that when in sport mode...at times when I lift off the throttle the car still seems to be pulling like the pedal is still depressed...I hope you follow what I am saying here...it does not happen all the time though...has anyone else had this issue?
yes, my car did that since day one and only in sport mode. after the tuning, this phenomenon decreased dramatically and I barely notice it anymore.
it was pretty unnerving before the tune and the car felt like it had its own brain and wanted more gas by itself.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:14 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
They told me to break it in HARD, because the piston rings are much harder in this Turbo engine. I'm going sort of easy these first 500 miles then it's gonna be driven to it's maximum potential!
These motors are put on an engine dyno and red lined to insure function before dropped in new vehicles. Why are we being easy on them..!

This should be a new thread.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:39 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The extra boost only comes in the mid-range and only at WOT. It is just noticable compared to the non-sport mode. However, with the change in throttle response, the car just feels stronger all around. Pulling hard in non-sport mode is pretty impressive as it is, the overboost just adds a tad more to it. However, not much opportunity to use it on the street but for a few seconds.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:26 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with few exceptions, i always have the sport button on. i just change the pasm to normal to soften the ride. why not get the more aggressive throttle response? as far as the 10 seconds of 50 more fot pounds of torque-i really can't feel much difference. but what i can feel, and enjoy, is the twitchier throttle resonse. the only time that i don't turn on the sport setting is when it is slippery on the road (snow, rain), as the sport setting will also increase the threshold for traction control involvement, which you don't want in slippery conditions.otherwise, why not get the maximal performance from the car?
Old 06-30-2007, 01:38 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Ya I leave sport on most times as well. I will stay under 5k and 1/2 throttle until 700 miles and that's it, I will see how the pull is in this car then reflash time.....
Thanks for the comments and experiences.

Quick Reply: Experiences with the extra boost with chrono please.