Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Guards vs Black vs GT Silver....hmmmm

OK, so I’m torn if I were to order a new P car, which color would I choose. The C4S Cab in Guards looks like it rolled out of the factory last week, I take that good care of it that it stays pristine (nearly 4 yrs old). I don’t usually drive the P-car in bad weather, rain, etc. I keep it as clean as possible, but no California dusters, no car covers, etc. Garaged at home and at the office, but driven enough. I’m not ready to get rid of it, but in the next year or so I will likely spec out a new one. I’ve had two stunning Guards/Beige/Black 996’s and love the color.

There’s only one thing I like the looks of better, but have never owned: BLACK.

Guards: Stunning color, hides dirt well, perfect for a fast sports car, love the contrasting beige interior/black top/black mats, etc. Won’t tire of it.

Black: Sexy, awesome when clean, shows all dirt/dust, monotone with Black interior (likely choice), hides the lines of the 997TT well, would I tire of it?

I’ve considered Silvers (GT Silver). But there are so many, to me it’s dull, but it hides everything. Still dull, not likely for me. Dark, on the other hand, hides some of the quirky lines of the 997TT, and I really liked pictures of it in Black. I do not care for most dark metallics, so those are out.

Drove a Meteor/Black Cayman for a couple of days recently (C4S in for service) and really liked the simplicity of the black interior. But Black interiors spook the Obsessive-Compulsive side of me – a beige dash will need no care for a long time. A black dash needs a wipe down every few days.

Beige interiors show belt marks (seats). Black interiors don’t.

Like I said before, I like the contrast between exterior and interior. But if black/black, then maybe a silver center console or other bits would break it up enough. But….that Black is sort of talking to me.

Everyone I know has said the usual “Black is not a color, it’s a hobby” line.

So…PLEASE lay it on the line for me. Would you go Black? Is it really that much tougher than any other color to keep swirl free and clean looking? Should I stick to my usual Guards/Beige/Black configuration?

I do love Guards….but might be ready for a change. And no, probably no other color grabs me much (GT Silver is a far 3rd choice, even Cobalt is stunning but I doubt I’d own it). And again, I keep the car immaculately clean, but with Guards, I can go a few weeks and it still looks really clean. I know Black would show the dust in a day.

Yes, there is always medication.

THANKS

GUARDS

BLACK (actually Basalt, but a good look at Black):

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 12-02-2007, 12:44 PM
hkim80
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sure. I would go black all the way. I personally think black looks good even when it's dirty. my favorite is midnight blue by far though.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Eric,
I'm surprised you wouldn't go with a 'paint to sample' order. You know more about Porsche colors that anyone else.

IMHO, I would go with more of a classic 911 color (if not a paint to sample); there have been some great colors over the years that you simply don't see around much.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:53 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,987 Likes on 560 Posts

the black 997TT looks absolutely bad ***. I've seen a few in germany and out here in LA- drool inducing every time. I've owned black, midnight blue, red, red, white, polar silver, black, silver, red, cobalt in that order. I never had a hard time (especially in CA) keeping my black cars clean looking. and besides- you can be really **** and have a date with your car every few days to apply wax or you can drive it all the time, and clean it every once in a while- it's up to you. nobody is gonna give you a ticket for having a bit of dust on your porsche. or just drive it at dusk or night all the time!

in regards to the interior- black on tan is not a cool look in my opinion. red on tan is okay- typical sports car combo you see in lots of Pcars and Fcars.

here's a suggestion if you want contrast for a black exterior painted car- get the black and grey two tone interior. and get colored stitching or seat belts if you can (I've seen red, yellow and blue and they all look great)- it really takes the personal and design elements of the car up a long way.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:19 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Black looks great when it is clean.. But just about anything makes it look dirty.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Eric,
I'm surprised you wouldn't go with a 'paint to sample' order. You know more about Porsche colors that anyone else.
Appreciate that...and yes, I have seen nearly every color ever put on a Porsche (and many others too, including Lambo and Ferrari). But I'm cool with Guards, or Black, or GT Silver, or others in the standard lineup.

I'm really leaning toward Guards.....but whenever I see a nice clean Black Turbo, I really swoon.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:10 PM
printemps2001
Instructor

GT Silver is a beautiful, but it's still silver and kind of boring. I never understood the "it doesn't show dirt argument." Either you are a person who keeps your car clean or you aren't, and while silver may not show a trip through a puddle or two as clearly as black, any color will look dull and grimy if it isn't maintained. Besides, I can only assume Eric takes care of his cars. I've owned red, black , and silver. I didn't like the silver from the day I picked it up to the day I traded it in. Black is very nice but but you need to be careful cleaning it because it does show surface scratches. I love red. Period. Personally, I'm also quite partial to yellow and Mexico Blue (not sure if I'd ever ante up for the added cost though). Also, I think the non-metallic colors look really nice with a couple of matching interior trim pieces.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Stick with GR Eric....but consider SY !!!
I owned a black car once and it was always filthy. I love GR and SY - they always look relatively clean.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:24 PM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

my first black car was a 05 saleen 281sc with chrome 20's. black just made the car so much more bad ***. as far as color vs dirt issue I had no trouble, I would wipe it down with a kozak rag every couple days and keep good wax on her. You have red Eric, if it were me I would go with another color.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:10 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would go with GT silver. i have had two black 911's. I love the way it looks, but it is such a PITA to keep clean. I like red too, but it kinda wears on me a bit. Not a color I think I would like long term, but you obviously do not have that problem. If you have had it for 4 years already why not try something new this time around? varitey is the spice sort of thing.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:36 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Eric - have you considered Ruby Red?
Old 12-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

I'm a neurotic owner as well, and not just with cars (watches, shoes, clothing, etc.). I've had two black cars (although non-Porsche), and I vowed never again. I've always loved the wet-look of black paint when it's spotless, but the cosmetic maintenance is quite a demanding hobby. With 3 toddlers occupying my time these days, I just wouldn't be able to keep up the regimen to my satisfaction. For the sake of my sanity, I can never own black again. Not so bad, really, since silver is my favorite color of the post-964 911 anyway.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:18 PM
blkc4sny
Instructor

Eric,

My gut tells me you should go with Guards/Beige, For me its the same challenge, I love Silver, for all the reasons plus some, but when I see a Black/Blk Porsche or for that matter anything sporty, I say "COOL", but thats when you are 20 feet awa y from the vehicle. I'm a lot like you, I love to drive my C4S, but I also want it to be in showroom condition when it retires to the garage. I think with Black you will be inspecting every piece of the metal. I once owned a '94 BMW 850CI Blk/Blk and it looked great after every wash but that was it, otherwise I eagle eyed every swirl, mark, etc. Finally, Brian Miller, one of the longtime families up here in NY Auto Dealers (High End stuff) who owns MMCars in NYC, told me he would never own another Black car, so my thoughts are, stay with the same color combo you love, you know what you like, why take a risk, but then again, you only live once.

Bruce C4S Apple

Quick Reply: Guards vs Black vs GT Silver....hmmmm