Q&A: Real life TT vs C4S experience Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:45 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Q&A: Real life TT vs C4S experience Please

Hi to all,
I've been a very long time P-car owner (19 years!) but have never owned a turbo.
I've had 964C4, 986, 996, Cayenne S and 964,993,996 cup cars and still have a 996 RSR.
This tells you a bit about me. I like P-cars but I don't really need something brutally fast on the road- that's the role of my race cars.

I currently live in the UK but will be moving back to the US in the new year - North East with some pretty cold winters so 4WD seems a good idea.

I really like the look of the 997 turbo and I have ordered a facelift version with PDK for whenever that becomes available (according to the dealer it will be before August 08). However, I can't help but think however that I will not need TT at all on the road and that I'm better off spending the 30K difference on a few races and just enjoy a nice C4S for every day - the budget is not unlimited you see

So now to the question: Who's driven both and can give me real life experiences of living with both cars? If it matters, my wife has Cayenne S and wants the new Audi Q7 for when we get back (3 kids...) so it will merely be a commuting car for me and it's unlikely to be driven on the week-ends as I'll be with the family most of the time

Looking forward to your advice!
JM
Old 12-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

The paradox of the TT in NE winters is, while it is an AWD made for that kind of driving, the road salt and other drivers defying the laws of physics says save the money for the track. Or get it and store it for the winter.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One other factor may be the differences in engine block; M64/GT1 derived in the Turbo vs M97 in the N/A Carrera. Dry sump vs integrated wet sump.

IMHO, the M64/GT1 derived block is the one true legacy of the 911 era.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:33 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
One other factor may be the differences in engine block; M64/GT1 derived in the Turbo vs M97 in the N/A Carrera. Dry sump vs integrated wet sump.

IMHO, the M64/GT1 derived block is the one true legacy of the 911 era.
Why is this important to you?
JM
Old 12-18-2007, 05:34 PM
jaf996cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned both, a early build 07 C4S and now a 07 TT. Both are obviously great cars and, although there are minor detail differences, the real difference boils down to power and motor architecture, the AWD systems, and you can actually get LSD in the turbo which I did. The AWD system in the TT is a new generation called PTM (I think). More intelligent than the system on the awd NA 997 and NA/TT 996 series cars. I cannot tell you how much more effective it is but PAG makes a big deal about it.

The motor of the TT is a derivative of the 90s GT1 dry sump racing design and that design goes back decades. It is a true dry sumped split case motor and some say more robust and reliable. The NA 997 motor is a derative of the new water cooled 996 series engine and it has had its fair share of reliability issues.

The TT is blistering fast, the 4S powerful. My personal preference is the TT but you cannot go wrong with 4S and it is a lot less money if you do not go crazy with options.

Also, a lot of things that are optional on the NA cars are std. on TT - satnav, full leather, Bose for ex. are std on the TT.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
07TT, CW/Blk, PCCB, adaptive seats, LSD, lots of CF, yellow belts, etc.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:11 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jaf996cab
I have owned both, a early build 07 C4S and now a 07 TT. Both are obviously great cars and, although there are minor detail differences, the real difference boils down to power and motor architecture, the AWD systems, and you can actually get LSD in the turbo which I did. The AWD system in the TT is a new generation called PTM (I think). More intelligent than the system on the awd NA 997 and NA/TT 996 series cars. I cannot tell you how much more effective it is but PAG makes a big deal about it.

The motor of the TT is a derivative of the 90s GT1 dry sump racing design and that design goes back decades. It is a true dry sumped split case motor and some say more robust and reliable. The NA 997 motor is a derative of the new water cooled 996 series engine and it has had its fair share of reliability issues.

The TT is blistering fast, the 4S powerful. My personal preference is the TT but you cannot go wrong with 4S and it is a lot less money if you do not go crazy with options.

Also, a lot of things that are optional on the NA cars are std. on TT - satnav, full leather, Bose for ex. are std on the TT.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
07TT, CW/Blk, PCCB, adaptive seats, LSD, lots of CF, yellow belts, etc.
Thanks, that helps a lot. Sat nav and leather are 2 options I would take. I know about the engine but I personally find that irrelevant... I have those engines in race cars and there they serve a purpose. On the road, either will do just fine... I really appreciate your 1st hand input
JM
Old 12-18-2007, 06:20 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,174 Likes on 577 Posts

One issue when buying a turbo - you get used to a very powerful and torque-rich car and it spoils you forever. Everything else feels like a snail.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:37 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
One issue when buying a turbo - you get used to a very powerful and torque-rich car and it spoils you forever. Everything else feels like a snail.
Yes, I've thought about that... it's kind of like knowing that there's nothing much better that you can get.... ever.... Something anti climatic about that...
Old 12-18-2007, 07:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
Why is this important to you?
JM
RMS issues
Old 12-18-2007, 07:15 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
RMS issues
Ah! This is understand... had 2 of those on a 996. 1 resulted in a new engine and the other a refurb...
Old 12-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

Love my C4S, but have a new 997TT on order. Started with a BoxsterS. Seems like it is a natural progression. Once you get a Porsche you get spoiled and hooked and just keep working your way up the Porsche food chain. They are all great cars, but chances are, eventually you will want a Turbo anyway!
Old 12-19-2007, 01:19 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I went from an 03 996 c4s to a 997tt. Drove/drive both daily(64k on the c4s, 10k on the tt so far) all weather, plus some DE fun. I agree the m97 vs gt1/ wet vs dry is probably not relevant on a DD street car. The AWD system in the c4s seems better in foul weather, while the 997tt system is more rwd biased, better on the track for sure. I love the power and tq of the turbo, I could never go back to a NA p car again, it's addicting.
One thing I did find was that by the time you got the c4s specced out, you are already in turbo land price wise(>>100k). A lot of the must -have pricey options on the c4s are std on the turbo. Plus the higher residual values of a tt(much lower on the c4s) make the monthly nut nearly the same, if you're looking at leasing or financing. GL
Old 12-19-2007, 01:36 AM

If you have not already done so, go drive the two cars back to back; but once you drive the turbo you'll never be the same
Old 12-19-2007, 02:33 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

your obviously conditioned to fast cars by your race cars and track time. ninty percent of whats out there will seem slow on the streets, it's up to your mind set and what you want it for.we are not you and can't think real time for you on what will push your buttons for a street car. the 07 c4s is a great handling powerful machine, the tt is equally a great dd with manners putting around and a bullet when you drop the hammer. drive them both and let us know.......
Old 12-19-2007, 01:37 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TT all the way!

Quick Reply: Q&A: Real life TT vs C4S experience Please