New Member - 997TT or Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:56 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,987 Likes on 560 Posts

wow guess I'm gonna need to start looking for a viper...
Old 01-14-2008, 12:49 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,177 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
wow guess I'm gonna need to start looking for a viper...
Old 01-14-2008, 03:34 PM
TT_man
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Vette not same league as the Viper"
Old 01-14-2008, 04:49 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't notice that the gentleman asked about Vipers. Are you saying you wrote the article? Or just agree with the opinion completely?
Old 01-15-2008, 01:05 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I figured I would receive some well thought-out responses from you guys, and you certainly didn't disappoint! This forum probably has more dual owners (TT and Z06) than any other I can think of, so that's why I started here. This is gonna be tough - great arguments for either car, for sure. I will make it a point to drive both cars, of course. I also want to wait and see what the 2009 Z06 brings. Someone mentioned the C5 Z06 - that car, for sure, IMHO, cannot hold a candle to the 997TT - but the C6 Z06 seems to have narrowed the gap considerably, and if the 2009 Z06 comes with further improvements (hp bump, better steering, whatever), then the decision will become even harder.

Turbofire - I LOVE the R1200GSA. Talk about a wolf in sheep's clothing! I had a Honda Blackbird, then a 2006 GSX-R1000, then a BMW K1200S, and I much prefer the GSA over all those bikes. Not sure how to explain it, you just have to experience it - unbelievable handling once you get rolling, go anywhere, indestructible feeling - plus I'm hoping for less speeding tickets!

Anyway, thanks for all the responses - very much appreciated!

Lastly - can't bring myself to buy a Viper. Porsche or Z06 - those are my choices.

Andy
Old 01-15-2008, 07:26 AM
hkim80
Intermediate

Porscheholic. I was in a similar situation last fall, except that I was also considering a 997 GT3. I went with a turbo and can't be happier.

Because you mentioned that you intend to use the car as a daily driver, I need to ask you this question. Do you have to wear a suit to work??

I do, and belive it or not, that was one of the main reasons that I went with a turbo. Comfort wise, I actually didn't mind driving Z06/ GT3 to work, but my wife thought it simply looked wrong for me to drive Z06/GT3 to work everyday in a suit. Maybe because Z06/GT3 looks very racey... but you certainly don't have that problem with the turbo.

But to be honest, you just can't go wrong with any of these cars.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

No, fortunately I rarely have to wear a suit to work.

Here is the great news I'm getting from this thread - I can't make a bad decision! So I'm feeling really good about that, quite jazzed actually!

So I'll do my homework and drive both cars as the opportunity presents itself and will try to reach a decision. I'm not in any great hurry - I'm going to wait at least until the 2009 Z06 is released to see what improvements will have been made.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:45 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the kind words about the thread over on the Corvette Forum. I never thought it would grow the way it did. This forum has some great folks, but it is a quieter place. The Corvette crowd is a pretty loose group.

The cars are very different. It's like comparing a Harley Davidson to a Ducati or BMW. One is an American icon with domestic heritage. The Euro bikes are technical, well engineered machines that run like Swiss watches.

The Corvette is a flashy car with monsterous horsepower that burbles like a lake boat with a 454 Mercruiser on the stern. The Porsche has conservative styling with incredible fit and finish. The turbo comes on like a freight train.

The Z06 is one of those "fun" cars that take me back to the days when we went down to race slot cars.

As I have said, both are great cars. It just depends on what car you think is the best fit for your personality. Cost is also a big factor. As you know, you're going to pay 50K north of the Z06 for a well equipped new Turbo.

Good luck with your choice and let us know what you decide to do. You may decide to buy both. Not that there's anything wrong with that - a bunch of guys on here have a Z06 and Turbos.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:55 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porscheholic
I figured I would receive some well thought-out responses from you guys, and you certainly didn't disappoint! This forum probably has more dual owners (TT and Z06) than any other I can think of, so that's why I started here. This is gonna be tough - great arguments for either car, for sure. I will make it a point to drive both cars, of course. I also want to wait and see what the 2009 Z06 brings. Someone mentioned the C5 Z06 - that car, for sure, IMHO, cannot hold a candle to the 997TT - but the C6 Z06 seems to have narrowed the gap considerably, and if the 2009 Z06 comes with further improvements (hp bump, better steering, whatever), then the decision will become even harder.

Turbofire - I LOVE the R1200GSA. Talk about a wolf in sheep's clothing! I had a Honda Blackbird, then a 2006 GSX-R1000, then a BMW K1200S, and I much prefer the GSA over all those bikes. Not sure how to explain it, you just have to experience it - unbelievable handling once you get rolling, go anywhere, indestructible feeling - plus I'm hoping for less speeding tickets!

Anyway, thanks for all the responses - very much appreciated!

Lastly - can't bring myself to buy a Viper. Porsche or Z06 - those are my choices.

Andy
Andy, I also have a R1200GS Adventure that I bought over the summer. They are incredible machines and I love the big tank. Here's another one of my favorites that I ride:

And of course no car or bike will ever be a match to one of five of our Old English Mastiffs - Corrigan (Cory). He's one of a litter of 10 pups we kept with mom and dad (plus two more). Cory is a Baby Huey weighing at 200 lbs at 1.5 years old. Now this is a beast, but as gentle as a lamb:

Old 01-16-2008, 02:43 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

mastiffdog, where's the ducati..! come on man that's you.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:03 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by whyb2nd
mastiffdog, where's the ducati..! come on man that's you.
If were me, I'd get the Hypermotard! What be you?

Old 01-16-2008, 08:43 AM
mikegee
Rennlist Member

Well, I have had three porsches and 5 corvettes and at least 8 or 10 other cars in my 60 years. I was in love with whatever i was driving at the moment. I have ordered a 2008 turbo, and I hope it will be what I expect. I traded a 2006 C4S for it, just owning it a year. not enough UMMPH for an old guy. Before that was a zo6. I tell you when you are really hauling *** in that car you do not hear the plastic interior squeaking or focus on the vinyl that is everywhere. or the fact that it is made by GM. you just try to hold on to the seat of your pants and stave off tunnel vision. the only car that i have driven recently that comes close to that feeling is the turbo i drove that caused me to order mine. I like cars that go fast, and I like to drive them fast. I felt very safe and focused in the turbo at high speed. with the vette, well it was like all the vettes i owned. there was a feeling that at high speed it was going to get some lift at any minute, and it took a lot of concentration to drive it fast. having said that, IMHO, if you like cars, you will never be quite satisfied with what you drive..and I think that's why they are making so much money!!!!
Mike
Old 01-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Mastiffdog - I was hoping you would chime in - thanks for the comparison. Wow - you have the best toy chest I've ever seen - nice! No way would I ever convince my wife to let me have two "expensive" cars in the garage (not complaining - she gives me total freedom in all the things that really matter), so I will have to choose. I also don't want to spend the money it will take for a brand new Turbo, that's why I thought I would wait until the 2009 Z06's are released, and then compare that to a used (maybe 2007?) Turbo. I'm trying to keep my car budget around $100K or less (OK, I could twist my own arm and go over that if I REALLY wanted to, but I'm at least trying to set a budget).

Mike - I know what you mean about the non-turbo 911 - beautiful car but I also want (make that need) more power. And you are also spot on about always wanting the newer, more powerful model of whatever - I certainly have that disease.

Andy
Old 01-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

I also think it is great that you guys are all very respectful of other brands (like Corvette). Not so sure the other forums would be as generous discussing other brands. I'm generalizing, of course, but I'm impressed.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:04 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

I think personally of you dig the Turbo, I would purchase a 964 Turbo those old school Porsche's look sick.

Quick Reply: New Member - 997TT or Z06?