Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok one more time, best tuner results on pump gas.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:52 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok one more time, best tuner results on pump gas.

ready to pull the trigger, have my favs but want to hear from the road tested members as of date.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:04 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

also not doing internals or turbo upgrades.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:00 AM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by whyb2nd
also not doing internals or turbo upgrades.
that's what I said when I got my proto tune 2 1/2 years ago, I had 5k miles on it.
15k miles later I upgraded the turbos, then got the plenum, then headers, then DVs, now I have a couple of monster proto intercoolers sitting in the garage awaiting install. I am now at 33k miles and only hiccup was a ruptured plenum hose due to bad install.
I know you asked about pump gas but once you feel the difference you will be hunting for race fuel all the time.
The proto tune runs very reliably on pump gas as long as you keep it in non-sport mode.
Sport mode is best tuned for race fuel.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:22 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

ready to pull the trigger, have my favs but want to hear from the road tested members as of date.
Switzer Performance Innovation If you have done due diligence you probably know about SPI.

I have driven Tym's 996TT and 997TT tuned cars. They are remarkable for their incredible performance envelopes as well as bullet proof reliability. Tym is the best of the best IMO.

Check out this thread on 6speed if you are not already familiar
Old 03-06-2009, 01:03 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

GIAC and APR seem popular. Is the fun factor increased that much adding 30whp/40wtq...I guess I'm asking is it a bang for the buck.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

GIAC and APR seem popular. Is the fun factor increased that much adding 30whp/40wtq...I guess I'm asking is it a bang for the buck.
Yeah, I am wondering the same thing, eventhough I am still just waiting for my turbo to get across the Atlantic.

I was talking to the service rep at my dealership about "flashing" the car and he told me that it really was not worthwhile to do so because any gains you do get are appreciated at only wide open throttle. He claims you don't really notice much improvement in response with normal "around town" and commuter driving.

Thoughts?
Old 03-06-2009, 12:06 PM
AAHTT
Racer

I think you should go drive a flashed car.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AAHTT
I think you should go drive a flashed car.
So the service guy was off base with his comments? Please let me know. I really am clueless.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:47 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
So the service guy was off base with his comments? Please let me know. I really am clueless.
unbeliveably off. Like I said try to drive one and you will see what I am talking about, the difference that a good tune and an exhaust make, is not even funny.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This video shot when our car was only making 680hp! We are now at just over 700 on pump fuel.

11.2@128mph
Pump Gas
60' times ~1.7 and 1.8
Full Weight
Street tires
80 degrees

Watch the video:
http://awe-tuning.com/media/multimed...S_Dragrace.wmv

Read more about the kit here:
http://awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/p...etrain&IL=700s

Everyone has gone into the 10's on race gas. I want to be the first that does it on 93 octane pump fuel.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:05 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

I'm not interested in exhaust at this time, had vibration issues with two different exhausts in my 996 (GHL,Tubi). I hear now GIAC is too conservative and everyone else out there claims better #s then the next. In a perfect world a reflash alone on this bullit proof block, 5lbs boost increase with a/f and driveline tweeks should produce 40-50 whp/50-60tq....Where do I sign up!!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:26 AM
GMP - Matthew
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

APR gets about the same HP numbers at the the rest of them but seems to get more TQ all the while using lower boost levels than everyone else. Keep in mind no one else offers Stock, 93 or 91, 100 or 104, valet, fault code erase, throttle body alignment, security, and anti-theft all at the touch of your cruise control switch with confirmation of the program activated from the EPC light on your cluster. No other hand held devices needed. All the programs are included at the time of purchase as well.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AAHTT
unbeliveably off. Like I said try to drive one and you will see what I am talking about, the difference that a good tune and an exhaust make, is not even funny.
Thanks. I will try to look into that.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:49 PM
sparkhill
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 288 Posts

Regarding the flash, there are a number of quality options out there. I think finding a tuner that fits you is as important as which flash you have done. Each flash offers subtle differences in features but the performances at the given levels are pretty similar. I have EMOSit mainly because that was what the tuner I chose recommended for what I was trying to achieve. I like the idea of multiple modes offered by GIAC and APR (valet, stock, pump gas, race gas, etc) but realistically, I do not need multiple modes because nobody else drives my car and my dealer knows I am not stock.

I think your dealer is referring to the sense that the 997TT does not run much boost unless the gas pedal is depressed about 3/4 or more. It is not talked about a lot, but the 997TT boost is far more throttle-dependent than many turbo cars which seem to be more RPM-dependent. Regardless, the flash completely transforms to 997TT and is well worth the money.

You might want to consider an exhaust too - there are lots of advantages including vastly improved sound and a decent power bump. I just love my Cargraphics loud exhaust but there are several others that really sound good too.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:07 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

GIAC has consistently made the most power on 91 octane.
Make sure you are comparing 91 octane maps not 93 octane maps like most other tuners post.

Consider reliability and driveability as well when making a choice.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series

Quick Reply: Ok one more time, best tuner results on pump gas.