Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of Cargraphic cat back ... ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Thinking of Cargraphic cat back ... ??

I'm thinking about trying another exhaust on my TT. I did not have a good result from Brombacher, altho they did bend over backwards to help me. Just how it goes sometimes.

I'm thinking of Cargraphic. The Porsche shop likes these a great deal. I did hear the unit in a turbo coupe and it was pretty nice. Don't think it had any headers or such, tho. And, I'm not interested in that either. Just a cat back system. Think the shop wants like $4200 including installation.

I did a search and found some references, but not all that helpful. Anyone with experience with Cargraphic in their turbo .... I'd appreciate your input. I'm not interested in any resonance in the cabin at 2500-3000 rpms ... the prime driving rpms in 6th gear on the slab.

Thanx.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:32 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a good deal on the CG exhaust installed. Mind you all aftermarket exhausts include the cats or cat bypass pipes. The top three aftermarket exhausts for the TT are CG, Tubi and Europipe in no particular order, never heard anything bad about them. I didn't include the excellent Ruf product which is as good or better than the above, it's too expensive as a stand alone exhaust and only makes sense as part of a conversion IMO.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:19 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
That's a good deal on the CG exhaust installed. Mind you all aftermarket exhausts include the cats or cat bypass pipes. The top three aftermarket exhausts for the TT are CG, Tubi and Europipe in no particular order, never heard anything bad about them. I didn't include the excellent Ruf product which is as good or better than the above, it's too expensive as a stand alone exhaust and only makes sense as part of a conversion IMO.
I'm sorry, Doug .... you are correct of course. This does include the cats. I don't know what I was thinking about.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

I did see a new "Street" version of Cargraphic that did not include cats. Less money than a full system, less weight than OEM, but wonder about the 'no cats' deal. Odd. Or, does it just bolt up to the OEM cats? Can't figure it out.

Anyway, I'll speak with the Porsche shop to decide what model to hook up to my cab. The loud version seems most widely liked.+
Old 08-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed the Cargraphic (loud with cats) exhaust on my 07 TT and there is quite a bit of resonance in the cab between 2500 and 3000 RPM. I'm actually quite disappointed although from the outside the car does sound much better. At 2500 rpm it's actually quite unpleasant
Old 08-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Leigh2
I just installed the Cargraphic (loud with cats) exhaust on my 07 TT and there is quite a bit of resonance in the cab between 2500 and 3000 RPM. I'm actually quite disappointed although from the outside the car does sound much better. At 2500 rpm it's actually quite unpleasant
Well, that's pretty disappointing.

I was sure the CG loud did not have any drone at those rpms from what I've read. Of course, I had FVDs on my car and altho others love them, my car had an unpleasant blaaaaaaaat on deceleration.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:06 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
I did see a new "Street" version of Cargraphic that did not include cats. Less money than a full system, less weight than OEM, but wonder about the 'no cats' deal. Odd. Or, does it just bolt up to the OEM cats? Can't figure it out.

Anyway, I'll speak with the Porsche shop to decide what model to hook up to my cab. The loud version seems most widely liked.+
That's gotta be a normally aspirated exhaust, the stock cats are welded to the muffler can. Or maybe a cat bypass??
Old 08-02-2010, 07:50 AM
RSA333
Racer

I've had a Tubi competition exhaust (on the street), a Europipe and on my old turbo, a B&B. All seemed good, and seemed to increase horsepower (I did not dyno the difference) - I did not have drone, although the competition exhaust was loud outside the car and not in keeping with the state regs.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
That's gotta be a normally aspirated exhaust, the stock cats are welded to the muffler can. Or maybe a cat bypass??
Yes, it's a cat bypass system. There is a "test pipe" attached to the muffler can on each side with an O2 sensor connection to keep CELs from flashing.

Apparently no drone, and nice sound. I'm just concerned with the possible emission issues. Without cats, I'm sure it is not legal in CT. I guess if the emission folks only use the computer connection during inspection, it should pass (?), but not if they sniff the exhaust. But, I don't know.

Obviously removing and replacing with oem for emissions is a PITA, and expensive at around $600 a throw.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:12 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been contemplating a headers and cats only change... and was thinking CG as well. My prime concern is making the car too loud. I thought headers and cats should make it louder under WOT acceleration and not too loud...

The exhaust is the first project which I have in mind, as I just got my car last week, so there is a lot of reading to be done to decide. But I wouldnt do a bypass if I where you. There should be plenty of race cats around to let the car breath easier...

Keep us posted pls.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Also, once I have the 'right' exhaust system on the car that I'm happy with, I may go ahead an "flash" the car. FVD has a nice system for this and they are a nice company to deal with. But, this is getting ahead of myself.

BTW, I don't think I'll do headers .... at least not initially.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:31 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

EP, 4285 delivered.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
EP, 4285 delivered.
I'm unfamiliar with EP. Price is good compared to CG, tho.

How does the EP sound ... ? Audio clips ... ? Where would I see/buy such a system ?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

europipe.com, the last exhaust you will ever own. It goes for ~3500EU, or whatever it is in USD, 3 weeks ago it was 4285 delivered from Belgium to my door.
Email Stef.
Listen to mine anytime. My fvd was great, but too loud for the doctors parking at nyu, plus my wife hated it. The only cg I've heard (3hr drive) was loud as hell and droned like a ******, the tuv sounds a lot better but still drones. CG would not be my choice on a cab. I would stick with tubi street or EP at this point.
c

Quick Reply: Thinking of Cargraphic cat back ... ??