Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mistake to remove the Mezger M64 from Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 02:35 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avader906
What I ment that 9A1 is competely different engineering philosophy. The engine design is not modular and individual parts can not be updated or worked on continiously as it's been the case with mezger platform. What you get is what you get - and then detuned across the model range depending on the transmission and price.
The root of the thread, what makes the mezger different, and unique to 9A1.
Most cosumers could care less in regard to engine enhancements, 90% leave them stock.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:16 AM
avader906
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whyb2nd
The root of the thread, what makes the mezger different, and unique to 9A1.
Most cosumers could care less in regard to engine enhancements, 90% leave them stock.
Somehow I dont think you got what I wrote. I gave you a non-technical overview of how two platforms differ, in their engineering and development goals; provided a hint to some interesting sources about heritage and gave you concrete examples of where mezger been used outside the factory lineup both by mentioning factory racing cars and outside "tuner" platforms. It might sound somewhat one sided and maybe not to your liking - and in fact I might be biased. Anyone here can come forward and state things I've missed or omitted or didnt clarify about 9A1 - for now the conversation was a general one and we didnt debate some of the more technical points.

If you have specific questions - or dont understand something - you are welcome to ask for clarifications. Nobody will be able to read your mind better than you. Otherwise mind the time people took to answer your query.

Last edited by avader906; 11-14-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:51 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evader906, thank you for all the information you provided, obviously you have done your research and are passionate of the technology.
If Porsche finds it important to work off one platform for a reason, I understand cost containment and simplicity play into this. I was looking at the limitations of the new block/motor for performance enhancements as a step backward. I see their vision, each has it's place and the 9A1 seems to have a place or replace for the older version with stronger varients coming in the future I'm sure. Only now we will be limited to the performance levels Porsche wants us to have.

I'm just old school I guess.....LOL
Old 12-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

09 or bust

Quick Reply: Mistake to remove the Mezger M64 from Turbo?