Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who keeps their Turbo beyond warranty ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

Eric, I guess the question that I have for you is? Do you really think that a Porsche Service Manager will allow a crappy used beat 150K mile part to be put into a Porsche that is in HIS service bay. No way.. They will reject that part and tell the insurance company to get a new part or another qualified used part. The qualification falls on the Porsche tech and Porsche dealer.

Another thing that the Service Manager has failed to mention is that there are certain parts that are on back order from Porsche. For instance, if you needed a crankshaft for a 997GT3, you could wait for up to 5 months. Porsche was OUT this past winter. I know I needed two! (let me clarify) they had two in Germany and shipped 2.. The two arrived at my Porsche dealer with more of the crankshafts out of the box vs inside the box. The replacement crankshafts weren't due for 5 months. What do you do?? Wait or get a used shortblock with a std/std crankshaft to build your failed engine or wait.

Porsche Service managers that are drinking the coolaid would rather ALL customers buy new cars to retain there new car warranty. Who knows, maybe your service manager did a stint in Japan where all the engine and drivetrain need to be pulled out of service by 40K and replaced with NEW...

For the "used" Porsche market and those that feel that they NEED a warranty >> Easycare and Fidelity are great options. Yes, a 2 year Porsche CPO is at the top, but to HAVE some sort of warranty opens up the two mentioned companies for consideration. NO, it is not as good as a NEW car warranty, but it does cover some major mechanical issues that may arrise. Your Porsche Service Manager is not reasonable.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:01 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
For the "used" Porsche market and those that feel that they NEED a warranty >> Easycare and Fidelity are great options. Yes, a 2 year Porsche CPO is at the top, but to HAVE some sort of warranty opens up the two mentioned companies for consideration. NO, it is not as good as a NEW car warranty, but it does cover some major mechanical issues that may arrise. Your Porsche Service Manager is not reasonable.
FYI - purchased an EasyCare warranty and shorty after my original warranty ran out I sheared off my flywheel. EasyCare covered it yet I was told that the originally warranty would not have...
Old 02-26-2012, 09:50 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My aftermarket warranty covered my 6k 2nd gear popout issue on my 996TT, my a/c control unit, and an alternator repair. The 2nd gear issue was fixed correctly...CPO would have just put in the same silly design (with flaw).

I now have a 10yo car sans warranty, but it was nice. And most of the simple things that break have been replaced with new/997/improved/custom fixes.

Jeff
Old 02-28-2012, 06:45 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 48 Posts

To all,

Just to skew the data a bit - my 2003 996 Turbo X50 has 332,000+ miles on the ticker and has had no warranty since 50,000 miles. I bought it to drive it and when it breaks I fix it with Porsche parts. The only aftermarket parts are BOV's and Protomotive intercoolers.

Just one data point for the discussion.

T2
Old 02-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Fishdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T2 , Great story.
Makes my wonderful 33,000 mile jewel even more of a reason to keep and enjoy.
Thanks man.
frank
Old 03-06-2012, 08:19 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't believe in getting extended warranties
However my car just got back from having the slave cylinder replaced That along with the annual service cost $5k!! Oy vey!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Historically, I'm certainly not in favor of purchasing extended warranties. I have not done so on any of our appliances or flat screens. But, buying a new one for a couple grand ... and they typically last over 5 years. But, a Turbo could cost you ... as we've seen above ... a crap load!

I plan to CPO my car. And, buy some $7500 wheels and tires ... guess I could afford an extended warranty, eh. CPO should give me a couple years extended warranty. By that time the next iteration of the Turbo should be out.

If I were sitting on a pant load of money, I'd not worry about $6 or 10k of work on the car. But, that is not the case here. I have to work everyday. But, I'm happy to do so, too.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:02 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm with raclaims.

We are all smart enough to know that ex warrantys are sold to make $ for companys. Sure you might lose on one deal or one car, but over a lifetime? You are better off on your own.

Unless you are some unlucky dude and you notice a large rain cloud always following you around town.....

MHO.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I remember reading somewhere that "one should not keep a car beyond it's factory warranty".

I usually adhere to this doctrine. Hence, the pending CPO on my present car.

I don't have any such on my 993. But, I need to sell it anyway since I drive it so rarely. I hate not driving a wonderful car. (sigh ...)
Old 03-07-2012, 01:50 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bagger, I'm at about 45,000 miles now on my 07 TT and am obviously out of warranty (no ext. warr. either).

I've replaced a clutch and done the required maintenance.

I'm going to keep this car until at least 100,000 miles (6 more years) and will probably just takes me chances.

Good luck.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:11 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

When it comes down to it, you need to geta quote and then determine if the cost/coverage makes sense for your situation.

I do not have a warranty on my 911. But, do have one on my V10.

I picked up a fidelity plantinum plans with no deductible additional 6/72k. In my case I had two really good things going for me. The vehicle had less than 35,000 miles (I guess price doubles after going over 35k). Second, fidelity quoted the same price for all Touareg's regardless of trim. Thereby the V10 TDI had the same cost as the V6.

The result was $2400 out the door with all taxes. There was only 2 months overlap of the original warranty and the extended.

When it came down to it, I felt that a cost of $400 per year was more than reasonable considering the history of the Touareg/Cayenne.

In year 1 of extended coverage, I had a $2000 bill. A diesel sensor needed to be replaced. Part was $100. Labor was the remander as they needed to drop the tranny.

Bottom line. Nothing is ever black/white. Run the numbers and make your own decision.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:25 AM
INFRNL
Track Day

From reading this thread it sounds like these 997's have way too many issues. I can understand some minor issues, but seems like problems with these are very common.
I am still in the learning process of porsches but I am not used to having a vehicle that have regular repairs.

However recently we have had a few issues with our 04 Audi A8L. I am learning never go to an Audi dealer but find a reputable German motorsport Mechanic instead.

I typically do not buy extended warranties because they typically have too many disclaimers and/or never seem to cover the issues you end up with.

I also find with any manufacturer these days; cars are not built as well as they used to be. Too many issues with everything being computer controlled. There are way too many things to go wrong anymore
Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

Question - I'm purchasing an out of warrenty 08 TT from the local Ferrari dealership. Ive had the PPI and DME done at the local Porsche dealership that originally sold the car. Is it possible for the Porsche dealership to CPO an out of warrenty car?
Old 08-25-2012, 02:36 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

No, not like that. You need to buy from an official Porsche center or like in your case, you need to own the car for at least 3 months. After that you can have the 111 check done and request the CPO warranty. At least that's the way it is in Europe.
But please don't let threads like this scare you. A turbo 997 is a well made car with no real issues. Likely you wont have any problem at all. Of course if you need peace of mind than do it.
I like to live on the edge (joke) so I am driving a turbo without any warranty
Old 08-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

A few data points. I had a fellow Porsche owner call me this week asking for info and recommendations. He has a '07 with 75K on the clock. Never tracked and dealer maintained. He bought the car new and is facing getting a new tippy geerbox. Porsche list price is $23,726.00 a factory reman is $16,602.00 with a graded $8,097.00 core charge. This gearbox is NOT serviced internally by the dealers. The dealer trade in is $48K for a running car. These numbers do not include labor or service related parts like fluid.

I have received 2 turbochargers (seperate owners) from dealers to repair. They were not repairable. Turbine wheel and turbine housing damage required the purchase of new turbochargers. With labor and the cost for one turbocharger the repair bill exceeded $5800...

I would strongly suggest a aftermarket warranty for these cars. If you are looking for a 997TT with a tippy a warranty will give you some peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Who keeps their Turbo beyond warranty ??