Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who keeps their Turbo beyond warranty ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Who keeps their Turbo beyond warranty ??

I really like my '09 Turbo cab. I've had quite a few Porsches going all the way back to a '67 911T when I got out of school. Paid like $4800 for it in 1976 and it pretty much rusted away. But, it was very nice at the time.

Anyway .... I pretty much always lease my vehicles and change them out every 2-3 years for a new one. Since the 991 Turbo is a couple years away, I tho't about getting a 991 S for a couple years. I drove one couple days ago. Very nice car, but not the power of the Turbo. I'd be disappointed driving it for a couple/three years. Hard going from 500 ponies to 400, eh.

So ... I'm thinking of "releasing" my car for 36 more months. When the new 991 Turbo breaks cover ... IF 7 speed manual is available (didn't care for the PDK ... totally did not involve the driver IMO) and it 'speaks' to me, I'll get one of those.

What I wonder is ... how many people buy a Turbo and keep it for more than the warranty years while driving it often? I'd be concerned that a turbo or some other deal sh*t the bed and I'd have to cough up $12 grand or so. (gulp ..)

I drive my cars hard, but don't abuse them. But, can't afford some BIG deal expense when a major part craps out of warranty.

Who keeps their Turbos beyond warranty?

Thanx.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:10 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Ever heard of word " Extended warranty " ? Look it up as i am sure that would definately solve your problem

Old 02-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
Ever heard of word " Extended warranty " ? Look it up as i am sure that would definately solve your problem

Yes, m'friend ... I have heard of such a thing. If I have my car CPO'd, I can get a fresh 36 month warranty my dealer tells me.

I'm not sure what other 'extended warranties' exist ... but, from what I remember, they are pretty pricey, too. Like 4 grand or so, but don't know the extent of the extended periods available.

Enlighten me, please, if you will.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

Me, this and all previous Porsches. 59K miles this week. No extended warranty. I enjoy risk.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Me, this and all previous Porsches. 59K miles this week. No extended warranty. I enjoy risk.
You are a very brave man, m'friend. Good for you.

I see from previously owned cars, that you do DRIVE them, too. Excellent.

I just can't justify a $14,000 crapping out problem on such a car.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:17 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Your chance of a 14k problem is not great. A new 991 wiil depreciate 20k the first year. Repair bills are usually cheaper than depreciation.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:17 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
Yes, m'friend ... I have heard of such a thing. If I have my car CPO'd, I can get a fresh 36 month warranty my dealer tells me.

I'm not sure what other 'extended warranties' exist ... but, from what I remember, they are pretty pricey, too. Like 4 grand or so, but don't know the extent of the extended periods available.

Enlighten me, please, if you will.
Yes Sir... Any extended warranty if bought while the car is still under manufacturer warranty is going to be whole lot cheaper.

CPO: Your dealer can probably certify your car for around $3000 for 2 years

Fidelity Platinum plan: Exclusionary plan ( you know what's not covered) and it would be roughly $3700 for 5 years and/or 60K miles.

Easy care : Good but pretty pricey.

My suggestion would be to go Fidelity as they are pretty sound company.

Enlighten enough
Old 02-15-2012, 12:30 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

C2Turbo is correct, you folks with factory warranties running out might want to give Fidelity or Easy Care some thought. They have stepped in numerous times for Rennlisters and some of my customers!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:28 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Excellent ! That's great information, thanx.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:23 AM
fdorn
Advanced

Location: Chicago - UMW Flash, UMW Performance Clutch (dual-mass), RUF exhaust, Evoms Bilit DV's,PSS10's, Pioneer Nav
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Kevin - I am on my 2nd 996 Turbo. I have had 3 extended warranties through EasyCare (2 on the first, 1 on the second).

My car is sitting at the dealer right now having an alternator and 2 window regulators replaced. My guess is the total bill will exceed 3K in 1 claim. The alternator alone is $1600. Had this replaced 2 years ago on my first Turbo. The total bill was $500 parts and $400 labor. The part alone is $1000 more.

My first turbo (an 01) had an Airbag light go on after I owned for a year. It was some sensor in the seatbelt lock - 5K to fix.

I wouldn't recommend owning one of these cars without a warranty.

Originally Posted by Kevin
C2Turbo is correct, you folks with factory warranties running out might want to give Fidelity or Easy Care some thought. They have stepped in numerous times for Rennlisters and some of my customers!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Rowlinmx
6th Gear

I'm selling my 2007 turbo but before the warranty expired I bought an extended warranty through audi. It covers 6 years 75k miles after the original warranty. I paid 4.5k
Old 02-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by fdorn
I agree with Kevin - I am on my 2nd 996 Turbo. I have had 3 extended warranties through EasyCare (2 on the first, 1 on the second).
I had an interesting conversation with a Porsche service mgr about EasyCare, and it was not encouraging. In the past, he mentioned they mandated sending the parts on certain claims, and those parts were not new. F-that. If I'm buying an extended, and I've read all the documentation, it damn well better cover replacement with new parts. He and I both understand 'reconditioned by OEM' but these were apparently not those sorts of cases - they were as if someone went to a stripper yard and pulled parts.

Just be careful with what you buy, know the limitations of the policy.

I will...when that day arrives.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 02-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

Eric, the info that you wrote is JUST not correct and taken completely out of context.

For instance. The warranty company has every right to call GBOX or California Motorsports to replace a 2nd gear pop out. Or a crashed 3rd gear. They will call me to rebuild a VTG turbocharger. And YES, if you lost an engine they would call LA Dismantlers or and other 2nd hand source to offer a good quality used assy to fix your NON running car.

What are you going to do for the 2nd hand used car market? Or when your factory CPO'd warranty expires. The Porsche Service Manager has a problem with being shopped. There remanufactured parts only have a 2 year warranty.

I am the FIRST person to say to buy Genuine Porsche, however if you have a car out of warranty and you want to feel "safe" you have to accept the fine print and many times qualified used or qualified by Brian Copans or myself is more than fair. If you don't like it trade your car in for a new one.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Kevin, what I wrote was a VERBATIM conversation I had with a service manager. You may consider it to not be what you want to hear, but it was WHAT I HEARD in person. Not saying every case is the same, and certainly different situations require different solutions, but I heard it and wrote it. That is all.

Not saying one company is better than the other, or does things differently, but I'd be damn sure to re-read all my documents before I sign. If the document says they can provide used parts (they - the warranty company, at their own discretion), so be it. In this case (or two) the owners did not have any idea that would happen. Caveat emptor.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:46 PM
fdorn
Advanced

Location: Chicago - UMW Flash, UMW Performance Clutch (dual-mass), RUF exhaust, Evoms Bilit DV's,PSS10's, Pioneer Nav

Just to add a little more from personal experience; in certain circumstances they can provide used or rebuild non-OEM parts, but you can always opt to pay the difference between their part and the OEM part. Even if you go OEM the cost will still be much less than it would have if you had no warranty. I have known about the non-OEM part possibility and, you are right, people should be aware of this - but it is not a deal breaker. It has only happened to me on 2 claims that I can remember.

If I could have gone CPO on my car I would have but both were beyond the time allotted so I went with Easycare. I purchased the warranty from the dealer that nearly all of my claims go through. Without having all my records in hand, I probably have shelled out $12,000 for warranties over the past 4 years(my current one has 3 years remaining). My claims have exceed $25,000(and probably more like $30,000). Before my 01 was totaled last year I had it at the dealer because I had issues with the rear wing (the rebuild alone was $3,500). I think the bill was $9,000 before they were done. My out of pocket was $1,000. To be clear - my cars do not sit in the garage - I drive the $hit out of them. Much harder than most. My 01 had 75,000 before it was totalled. It was not a lemon or a POS - it just the reality of owning a turbo driven every day, in all weather, harder than most- IMO

I think this is what most people fail to do; I have a Durametric to read codes and a bat phone to guys like Kevin. I research everything on the boards (Rennlist, 6Speed, Renntech). When something is wrong with my car I know exactly what it is before I take it to the dealer. I detail every problem and leave nothing to chance. When they submit my claim it is NOT vague. The problems are clearly stated. I am certain that their ability to refuse a claim is diminished - almost entirely. If you go in and say 'something sounds weird' or 'doesn't feel right' they will fix and cover NOTHING. You will be disappointed.

Last thing - I only use the dealer for warranty work. They are far too expensive for everything else. With that said - the quality of work they do is sensational.

added - one last, last thing. I would highly recommend your perform all scheduled maintenance (15,30,45,60, etc) and have records of all oil changes. I also have my car looked over once a year at my expense. You can run into problems with any warranty company if you don't.

Sorry - this was longer than I intended.

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Kevin, what I wrote was a VERBATIM conversation I had with a service manager. You may consider it to not be what you want to hear, but it was WHAT I HEARD in person. Not saying every case is the same, and certainly different situations require different solutions, but I heard it and wrote it. That is all.

Not saying one company is better than the other, or does things differently, but I'd be damn sure to re-read all my documents before I sign. If the document says they can provide used parts (they - the warranty company, at their own discretion), so be it. In this case (or two) the owners did not have any idea that would happen. Caveat emptor.

Last edited by fdorn; 02-17-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Who keeps their Turbo beyond warranty ??