Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking For Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 08:17 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

My advice would be to forget all the BS the seller is telling and if you like the car have the DME read out and have the paint checked with a paint meter.
If both come out clean buy it.
All the rest is a waste of time as the car is CPO'd.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Lubrecon
I thought it might be informative what I have found out about the white '09 TT that I mentioned in my initial post. When I talked with a salesman last Friday, he told me the car had been sold by his dealership in South Carolina and then traded in at their sister dealership next door, a Nissan dealership. He said all work had been done that the Porsche dealership in SC.

Then, while searching around on the net, I find the same car listed to be in Charlotte, MI. Further, checking the Carfax, shows the car was originally purchased in Florida and registered as a commercial vehicle. Then sold to another Florida dealer, then sold to another Flordia dealer, and then finally purchased by the South Carolina dealer, with whom I talked.

I don't know why car salesmen have to lie to a potential buyer, because with very little effort you can check out what they say, just as I have here. Now that I have discovered this, I don't know exactly what to do. But, I am going to call and ask for the SC dealership manager and report this to him, and put the ball in his court and see what he says. I have no confidence in anything that I might be told about this car, although it looks to be a great car.

I would appreciate any comments here, and I will let everyone know what I find out tomorrow. At least when trying to buy a used car today, the buyer is armed with tools that never existed before the internet.
1. Carfax can sometimes be wrong.
2. With a pass-it-around history like that, I would not be confident either.
3. Too many other pristine examples available, even if you have to travel.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

I thought it might be informative what I have found out about the white '09 TT that I mentioned in my initial post. When I talked with a salesman last Friday, he told me the car had been sold by his dealership in South Carolina and then traded in at their sister dealership next door, a Nissan dealership. He said all work had been done that the Porsche dealership in SC.

Then, while searching around on the net, I find the same car listed to be in Charlotte, MI. Further, checking the Carfax, shows the car was originally purchased in Florida and registered as a commercial vehicle. Then sold to another Florida dealer, then sold to another Flordia dealer, and then finally purchased by the South Carolina dealer, with whom I talked.

I don't know why car salesmen have to lie to a potential buyer, because with very little effort you can check out what they say, just as I have here. Now that I have discovered this, I don't know exactly what to do. But, I am going to call and ask for the SC dealership manager and report this to him, and put the ball in his court and see what he says. I have no confidence in anything that I might be told about this car, although it looks to be a great car.

I would appreciate any comments here, and I will let everyone know what I find out tomorrow. At least when trying to buy a used car today, the buyer is armed with tools that never existed before the internet.
Now that's an odd story. It was probably leased originally and thus the commercial status but the rest of it's history is bizarre. If it doesn't make sense then it doesn't make sense and it's time to pass. Simple. There a bunch of good examples out there so keep looking and you'll find a beauty.

Good luck on your hunt...

Joel
Old 10-29-2012, 02:07 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would run away from a car with that history of changing of hands. I suspect they know something that you don't.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Lubrecon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I talked with the general manager of the dealership today. He apologized for what I was told and said, as the carfax says, that the car is a South Florida car. It was in fact he said,traded at their sister dealership, but was never a local car or a car sold by their dealership. But the carfax shows it going through two Florida dealerships before it gets to them, so I still don't know what is going on.

The GM said it is a no excuse car and supposedly the owner was trying to sell it himself, but that doesn't add up either, because of the other two dealers on the carfax report. I told him that I was not trying to get anyone in trouble, but it is things like this that give the car business a black eye.

I'll let it rest for a couple of days to see what happens, but I would expect the salesman to get back to me....not very happy to be sure.

The GM said he would work with me direct it I want to do something on the car. I'll see, like others have said, there are a lot of cars out there, and this one, or the circumstances about its history, leaves a lot to be desired or at least worked out.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:46 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That is really strange.. Unless that car is your dream car I would keep looking. Like the others have said there are lots of great cars out there...

Car salesmen really suck.. That is why I only deal with one dealer. I can actually trust him...

I would move along if I were you...
Old 11-06-2012, 12:45 AM
Lubrecon
Advanced

Gave up, too much unknown....beautiful car though. Bought a 2011 Mercedes CL 550 4 Matic. Maybe next time, or maybe I am just too old for a Turbo!!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

Gave up, too much unknown....beautiful car though. Bought a 2011 Mercedes CL 550 4 Matic. Maybe next time, or maybe I am just too old for a Turbo!!
Nooooooooooooooo... Argh. The hunt is a big part of the experience bro. Too bad. We were all into it!

Enjoy your Merc. But remember - you'll lose 20 years the second you punch the pedal of a Porsche TT and the turbos kick in and a big grin lights up across your face. Nothing like it. See you back inn a year, month?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 PM
packwest
Advanced

Lubrecon, a '09 Turbo with 14,000 miles for $158,000 (even fully loaded) is over-priced, WAY over-priced. I would negotiate hard.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Lubrecon
Advanced

No, that was the MSRP in '09. Ask was $90K for the car today.

Quick Reply: Looking For Help