Sponsored by:

Looking For Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 01:03 AM
Lubrecon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For Help

I am looking at a '09 Turbo, that is fully loaded(List $158,000), with 14,000 miles. Have not seen it in person, but the pictures are outstanding. It has a Tiptronic trans and is a CPO car from a dealer.

I am also looking at a '11 C2S, fully loaded, with 5,000 miles, and PDK. Not a CPO car, but still a lot of warranty.

I could probably get the C2S for $5,000 less than the TT, it is a newer car, with all the new things vs the TT.

Would the fact that the TT is an '09, not DI, a Tip vs PDK cause anyone to move toward the '11 C2S? What of the driving experience, reliability, and older technology with respect to the '11 C2S should I consider?

I know the TT has 3.6 engine vs the 3.8 engine and is completely different, should that concern me?

I am leaning to the TT, but don't want to make a mistake with an older car, when a much new one is available with all of the new technology for less.

I would really like input from people who have owned both, or at least, the '09 TT, with a Tip trans.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

Drive both, buy the one you like better.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

These are quite different cars, both great. Not only are they different generations but one is more planted 4-wheel drive (the TT) vs more 'tossibe' rear-wheel drive (C2S), one is older generation Tiptronic automatic (TT) and one has the much loved and respected bullet proof classic race-derived Mezger 3.6 (TT) vs the 'consumer grade' newer Direct Fuel Injection 3.8 (C2S). The 09 having the newer PCM will look the same as the '11.
Like Terry suggests - go drive them both, as many times as you can and one will eventually adopt you.
You're posting on a Turbo Forum so you'll find the advice in favour of the TT. Search the 997 forum and you'll find recent threads on ths exact topic. There's a bit of 'turbo bashing' there but it's jst hidden turbo-envy in play. I love mine. It's an awesome car.
Let us know what you find on yor test drives.
Joel
Old 10-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Lubrecon
Advanced

Since one car is in South Carolina, and the other in in Illinois, it is difficult to get to drive both and make a decision. I have driven an '09 TT here in Houston, but it was a manual rather than a Tip. My broader question is does the '09 TT suffer from any old technology vs the '11. That is, what do I give up with the '09 TT vs the newer '11 in terms of driveability, reliability, mechanical or electrical problems, i.e., what is the downside to the TT vs the C2S, if there is any downside?

While money is always a factor, I guess my real question is which car gives me my money's worth with respect to ownership? I am sure either will fulfill my emotional needs, but which car would make never regret buying it?

I know these are silly questions, but those here are best suited to tell me about the TT. The C2S is well discussed on the 997 forum and is really not that much of a mystery. But the TT engine and the Tip is where I want to know that I am not giving up something vs the newer versions of both.

Thanks again, I really am trying to make an intelligent buying decision, so I want to get as much real life info as possible.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:37 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

It's quite easy really if you already lean towards the turbo today:

Buy the C2S and after a week or so you'll regret not getting the turbo.

Buy the '09 turbo (the '09 is the best of the best) and you'll be happy and content you got what you really wanted.

The tiptronic in the turbo is not a drawback imo. It's a very good box and makes the car even faster than manual.

Post pictures when you get it

Edit: You posted at the same time so have to add that a '09 turbo is not 'old', the engine is the same as the GT2 RS. Electronics are the same as the '11. As I just said, the '09 is the best of the best and I mean that.

Last edited by TT-911; 10-27-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: added content
Old 10-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Lubrecon
Advanced

Thanks for that Denis. Another question....the ad says the Tip is 8 speed, but all I can find is that it is a 5 speed. I am presuming that it is a Tip S, would that be correct?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Lubrecon
Advanced

One other thing.....if the chance for a '10 TT comes up, and it has, would that be any better than the '09 TT?
Old 10-27-2012, 01:02 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lubrecon
Thanks for that Denis. Another question....the ad says the Tip is 8 speed, but all I can find is that it is a 5 speed. I am presuming that it is a Tip S, would that be correct?
5 speed Tip. S

Originally Posted by Lubrecon
One other thing.....if the chance for a '10 TT comes up, and it has, would that be any better than the '09 TT?
If you are ok losing the GT2 RS (Mezger) engine than the '10 is ok.
I prefer the '09 though.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

1+. Nice to see you again Denis. You've been noticably abscent!

I think if you look at going from a C2S 997.1 to a .2 then there is a technology advantage between the two engines. With the .1 turbos the same cannot be said. The Mezger engine is a bullet proof, last of the hand built (expensive) true Porsche race-bred engines. The comparisons might be the Mezger being the Rolex vs the DFI being the Tag. Both good engines. Both goods watches. With an 09 you get the best of both worlds with the Mezger and the new electronics. It's a gem of a car but you'll typically pay an extra 10k over the 07-08’s.

The other cool thing I find with the Turbo's over the C2S's is that they were pricey, often heavily optioned and not driven much, thus low miliage. My theory on this is that high net-worth individual who originally bought these cars had at least 1-2 other cars to drive. The Turbo was not the daily driver. Then when they go on the market, they are upwards of 50% of the original cost! Amazing value.

You may not be able to drive the exact cars you're looking at but I'm sure with some detective work you'll be able to locate some samples in your area to 'test drive'.
Enjoy the hunt my friend. You're on the right track with this Forum.

Joel
Old 10-27-2012, 03:13 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Zeus993
1+. Nice to see you again Denis. You've been noticably abscent!
Joel
Yes i have been busy the last 2 weeks.
Took up a new hobby, photography, and the learning curve is rather steep. So I am reading/learning as much as I can to be able to use the pro-camera and lens I bought.
I hope to be able to shoot my cars with a more satisfactory result. Although my compact camera shots are not bad (imo) I want to be able to play with zoom and dept of field. And of course correct exposure is everything so also there I have a long way to go. It's fun though but indeed it steals time from rennlist.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Lubrecon
Advanced

Thanks for all of the input. If anyone has any other comments, please post them, I can use all of the information I can get.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:04 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
Yes i have been busy the last 2 weeks.
Took up a new hobby, photography, and the learning curve is rather steep. So I am reading/learning as much as I can to be able to use the pro-camera and lens I bought.
I hope to be able to shoot my cars with a more satisfactory result. Although my compact camera shots are not bad (imo) I want to be able to play with zoom and dept of field. And of course correct exposure is everything so also there I have a long way to go. It's fun though but indeed it steals time from rennlist.
Great Denis. What gear did you pick? We recently invested in a Canon EOS 7D. Excellent resolution and 12 mins of HD video.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:49 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Sorry for the off-topic Lubrecon.
I decided on the Nikon D700 with the 70-200 f2.8 VRII lens. After doing my research I preferred a FF camera and the D700 ticked all the boxes. Got a hardly used one at a good price. No video feature but I have perfect HD Video on my RX100 so that did not matter to me.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
Sorry for the off-topic Lubrecon.
I decided on the Nikon D700 with the 70-200 f2.8 VRII lens. After doing my research I preferred a FF camera and the D700 ticked all the boxes. Got a hardly used one at a good price. No video feature but I have perfect HD Video on my RX100 so that did not matter to me.
Fantastic. Nice gear. I'm getting used to the larger format too after really shooting most everything for th past year on my iPhone. Great little camera in that but the options on the larger camera are great to have. Looking forward to your shots.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Lubrecon
Advanced

I thought it might be informative what I have found out about the white '09 TT that I mentioned in my initial post. When I talked with a salesman last Friday, he told me the car had been sold by his dealership in South Carolina and then traded in at their sister dealership next door, a Nissan dealership. He said all work had been done that the Porsche dealership in SC.

Then, while searching around on the net, I find the same car listed to be in Charlotte, MI. Further, checking the Carfax, shows the car was originally purchased in Florida and registered as a commercial vehicle. Then sold to another Florida dealer, then sold to another Flordia dealer, and then finally purchased by the South Carolina dealer, with whom I talked.

I don't know why car salesmen have to lie to a potential buyer, because with very little effort you can check out what they say, just as I have here. Now that I have discovered this, I don't know exactly what to do. But, I am going to call and ask for the SC dealership manager and report this to him, and put the ball in his court and see what he says. I have no confidence in anything that I might be told about this car, although it looks to be a great car.

I would appreciate any comments here, and I will let everyone know what I find out tomorrow. At least when trying to buy a used car today, the buyer is armed with tools that never existed before the internet.

Quick Reply: Looking For Help