Sponsored by:

Read If You Are Considering A Newer Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 05:47 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Read If You Are Considering A Newer Cayenne

So far my new (for me) 2010 Cayenne GTS Design Edition 3 (100 for the USA) with 48.5K miles has had the following replaced: front/rear brakes, all fluids, cardan drive shaft, passenger seat and airbag sensors, horns, numerous bulbs, tires and now, drum roll please ----- my entire trunk is flooded!

I just got my Cayenne back from the dealer after a week (they've had it longer than me and my PPI was good before I bought it) and I begin to detail it. I open the driver side trunk compartment to store a few items when I notice there's water on the shelf. I know this is bad so I remove the spare tire cover and see standing water in the Styrofoam tool holder slots, not good! Looking further I see freestanding water sloshing around under my spare tire so I remove the tire. You guessed it, the Bose sub-woofer speaker cabinet is awash in three inches of water. No wonder I thought my Bose Surround System sounded terrible, most of my rear speakers were under water! I remove the four nuts that hold the speaker cabinet, grab a large sponge and begin to remove as much water as I can. Mind you it's 28 degrees and windy so this isn't fun! I get most of the water out and use a hair dryer to dry as much of the affected area as I can. But, I can't get all the water out and it continues to drip from the speaker cabinet. I button everything up, call Porsche to see if this is covered under my OEM warranty which it isn't, unless it's due to a factory structural failure.

Frankly I don't know what caused the water leak but suspect it's a clogged drain plug in my Pano roof. Anyway, I'm now concerned that any water exposed electrical components, speakers etc. will eventually fail due to rust/corrosion. The four nuts holding the cabinet were already rusted.

When I notified Porsche they said they had never heard of this. I'm going to insist they replace the Bose speaker cabinet and all components and extend my rust warranty. Frankly after all I've been through lately, I'm not sure the Cayenne quality and workmanship reputation is deserved. Thoughts?

Last edited by 4ocious; 02-19-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Our 2006 has been very reliable for 4 years. The only problem ive had is 1 bad coil.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:10 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

We had an 04, an 05, and now an 09 for four years (all S's). Other than the 04 (which had a lot of minor issues most corrected by perhaps a dozen TSBs), the 05 and the 09 have been pretty bullet proof.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 AM
fq
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe yours is an isolated issues. I have had this problem with Porsches before. The firs time I noticed it was on a 944 turbo (remember those?). The space-saver spare wheel well would get water since the car was new and in the beginning I did not even know it was happening. Then on a trip to the dealer to service the car, the dealer noticed there was water in the rear tail lights. Yup, the tail lights were acting like almost a half full cup of water (the level being slightly below the bulbs) and it was sloshing around. That's when he checked the spare wheel well and sure enough there was water in it. He tried to fix the problem several times but it always recurred.

It then happened on a 928 S4, a 968 and a Cayenne. Looks like the rear-engined and the mid-engined cars might be the only ones that may not have this problem. I think you have to make Porsche pay for it under warranty for poor design and workmanship.

Originally Posted by 4ocious
So far my new (for me) 2010 Cayenne GTS Design Edition 3 (100 for the USA) with 48.5K miles has had the following replaced: front/rear brakes, all fluids, cardan drive shaft, passenger seat and airbag sensors, horns, numerous bulbs, tires and now, drum roll please ----- my entire trunk is flooded!

I just got my Cayenne back from the dealer after a week (they've had it longer than me and my PPI was good before I bought it) and I begin to detail it. I open the driver side trunk compartment to store a few items when I notice there's water on the shelf. I know this is bad so I remove the spare tire cover and see standing water in the Styrofoam tool holder slots, not good! Looking further I see freestanding water sloshing around under my spare tire so I remove the tire. You guessed it, the Bose sub-woofer speaker cabinet is awash in three inches of water. No wonder I thought my Bose Surround System sounded terrible, most of my rear speakers were under water! I remove the four nuts that hold the speaker cabinet, grab a large sponge and begin to remove as much water as I can. Mind you it's 28 degrees and windy so this isn't fun! I get most of the water out and use a hair dryer to dry as much of the affected area as I can. But, I can't get all the water out and it continues to drip from the speaker cabinet. I button everything up, call Porsche to see if this is covered under my OEM warranty which it isn't, unless it's due to a factory structural failure.

Frankly I don't know what caused the water leak but suspect it's a clogged drain plug in my Pano roof. Anyway, I'm now concerned that any water exposed electrical components, speakers etc. will eventually fail due to rust/corrosion. The four nuts holding the cabinet were already rusted.

When I notified Porsche they said they had never heard of this. I'm going to insist they replace the Bose speaker cabinet and all components and extend my rust warranty. Frankly after all I've been through lately, I'm not sure the Cayenne quality and workmanship reputation is deserved. Thoughts?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:32 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

What was the source of the water - had it been raining? Car Wash?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

considering your lenght of owership, i think its should be covered. If not return the car.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:55 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Car wash, then home parked in my garage for two days while I read my owners manual and exercised the controls, then I began to detail it. That's when I noticed the water. Sadly, I never had any problems with my Benz's but, I don't regret buying my Cayenne, at least not yet. However, I am on-record with PNA and will seek addiitional recourse if my problems continue, e.g., return and refund or replacement.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 06 CayenneS had its issues as well, i was glad i leased it. I really like the sound of the new Cayenne turbo; wonder if this new generation will fair better......
Old 02-23-2013, 11:28 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lic265
My 06 CayenneS had its issues as well, i was glad i leased it. I really like the sound of the new Cayenne turbo; wonder if this new generation will fair better......
At the time I was only considering an 09 or newer CTT or CTT-S until I bought my CGTS. I've owned it for a month now but I've only had it in my possession for four days. The rest of time it's been at Porsche for repairs; it's there now too. I should have stuck with my original plan to buy a turbo, perhaps they are a little more reliable. Anyway, if problems continue I will trade/sell it and go back to Benz. It's sad that after one month of ownership I'm already considering getting rid of this lemon.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:12 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 330 Posts

Why would you list brakes, fluids, and tires on your list of "issues"? The car has 50K miles on it. These are wear items that need to be changed regardless of car.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:18 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

You're right, in the Cayenne POS mood I was in when I posted I should not have mentioned the tires and fluids as an "issue." BTW, it's back at Porsche I hope for the last time in a long time!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:54 PM
512bb
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

This is what I recommend to all who hit these types of problems. Contact an attorney specializing in lemons and these types of issues. Without that you are pretty much dead in the water (no pun intended - OK, maybe a little bit).
Old 02-25-2013, 03:54 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
You're right, in the Cayenne POS mood I was in when I posted I should not have mentioned the tires and fluids as an "issue." BTW, it's back at Porsche I hope for the last time in a long time!
Understand completely. Hopefully everything gets sorted. I own the Cayenne's cousin - an '12 VW Touareg TDI. Was very nervous when I got it, but (knock on wood) just turned a year old and 30,000 miles and it's been perfect.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:02 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

I just spoke with my SA, the leak is coming from a pano roof attach point. Now, let's see how they remedy this e.g., new Bose subwoofer, extend my rust warranty, replace??
Old 03-02-2013, 10:24 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Update:

My trunk leak was caused by an improperly re-installed and sealed roof rail attach strip apparently perfomed by the previous owner or? Anyway, my dealer is replacing the roof rail and resealing it, Bose subwoofer and affected rear trim under warranty altough there weren't required to do so. IMO you should always cultivate a good working/professional relationship with your dealership and SA. They will often make exceptions if they know you're a good customer and you treat them with dignity, respect and courtesy.

Last edited by 4ocious; 03-03-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Read If You Are Considering A Newer Cayenne