Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Older Ferrari/Lambo instead of Turbo S?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 07:06 PM
alvaro1728
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Older Ferrari/Lambo instead of Turbo S?

Hey all,

I've been shopping around for a CPO 2011 Turbo S for some time now and I have yet to find one with all the options I'm interested in. I'm not in a hurry, so I'll keep looking. My budget is around $120K.

In the mean time, I've also been looking at what kind of Italian beauty $120K can get me. I've seen a couple of 2005/2006 F430s or Gallardos in that range. Their interiors look a bit dated (no Navi, Bluetooth, MP3), and I'm concerned about their maintenance/service costs, as they would be out of warranty. Still, their styling and sound are hard to pass up.

I'm interested in hearing from Porsche owners who have or have had these sexy machines. What's your take on them and why should I pursue them or not?

Thanks!
Alvaro
Old 11-25-2013, 09:33 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alvaro1728
Hey all,

I've been shopping around for a CPO 2011 Turbo S for some time now and I have yet to find one with all the options I'm interested in. I'm not in a hurry, so I'll keep looking. My budget is around $120K.

In the mean time, I've also been looking at what kind of Italian beauty $120K can get me. I've seen a couple of 2005/2006 F430s or Gallardos in that range. Their interiors look a bit dated (no Navi, Bluetooth, MP3), and I'm concerned about their maintenance/service costs, as they would be out of warranty. Still, their styling and sound are hard to pass up.

I'm interested in hearing from Porsche owners who have or have had these sexy machines. What's your take on them and why should I pursue them or not?

Thanks!
Alvaro
IMO if you are looking for just a weekend toy and the F430 and Gallardo are in your budget it comes down to a few key things, some of which you've already highlighted.

1) Do you want the wow factor or the stealth factor? 99% of people won't notice a TT as a super car, it'll be "just another Porsche" to most folks, but everyone will notice the F-car or Lambo. This makes the Italians more special in my opinion but you can't take them most places without drawing attention

2) Service and warranty. Easy to get an aftermarket warranty on a TT and the service is relatively reasonable. Ferrari and Lambo don't have reasonable aftermarket warranties. And while the F430 is one of the most reliable Ferrari's ever built, you have to be ready for an unexpected $20K bill, so for me personally I would only buy a Ferrari if I was mentally and financially prepared for that. As for the Gallardo, I have read mixed things about the E-Gear especially on the early MYs, but I think it has the Audi V10 and Chassis from the R8 so probably more reliable and easier to find someone to work on it at a reasonable price, but do your homework

3) Mods and power: the TT out of the gate is faster than either the Gallardo or F430. And with some very simple and inexpensive mods (tune + exhaust) you are looking at 550-600+ HP and tons and tons of torque. Can't say this enough, a tuned TT is an animal. You will not be able to come anywhere near this performance in a F430 or Gallardo short of dropping 10s of thousands on a supercharged system.

If I was in the market with your budget I'd really really really be looking at the Gallardo and F430 for a more "special" weekend toy. Don't get me wrong the TT is the best car I've ever driven, but it's the difference between dating Danica Patrick vs a Victoria Secret Model LOL!!

Good Luck, it's a nice problem to have
Art
Old 11-25-2013, 09:58 PM
alvaro1728
Intermediate

Good Luck, it's a nice problem to have
Art
Yep, thanks.

This would be my daily driver, but it's only 20 miles/day so it's not bad. Of course, with a car like this, I'll probably be taking the long way home.

It looks like the 911 is the only sane way to go. It will actually also help preserve my marriage.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:38 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

I would not suggest the others if you need the car to be a daily driver. Gallardo is decently reliable but there is a reason why you can buy a 3rd party warranty for a 911 turbo. There is a guy here (Leo) who recently traded his 997.1 for a Gallardo and loves it but I don't know if he uses it as a DD.

As for the 'just another car' syndrome. I have found that certain color combo and such goes a long way towards negating that. Mine's a convertible full of carbon fiber and I get compliments by random people almost any time I'm out driving around. If you're in an ordinary black TT coupe then yea it might look like just another Porsche. That has its advantages though.

I bought my TT as a secondary car and I guess my mustang is my DD, but personally I would never even consider a lambo or ferrari as a DD.. Also you're comparing an old ferrari or lambo to an almost new TTS which makes the comparison pointless IMO. New is always always better, you will regret getting an older car in the long run no matter what make it is.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:33 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Turbo S 2011 cab. It is everything I could hope for in a car. From the muscular, understated looks to the incredible performance. You want exhilarating, heart stopping excitement, has it it spades. Want a comfortable, smooth daily driver, it can be. The Turbo S can be almost anything you want it to be. All depends on how you want to drive it. For me, it hits all my buttons. The comfort of the seats, the feel of the steering wheel, the cosmetics of the dash and most importantly, when you drive the car, you feel one with it. The Turbo S becomes an extension of the driver. The car almost intuitively responds to your commands and driving style. The vehicle's capabilities clearly exceeds the driver's ability to drive it. Push it and it responds with a composure and sure footedness that inspires total confidence.

I have driven both the Ferrari and Lamborghini and while both are exceptional rides, they are like New York City- exciting to visit but not a place where you wish to live.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:10 AM
shawsan
Instructor

The reply by ART is spot on. I've owned Porsche and Ferrari at the same time and continue to do so. If you get an F car be ready for jaw dropping bills. If maintenance costs are a concern, an F car isn't for you. Cracked my windshield on my 458; cost to replace it $7,000. Ceramic brake replacement =$30K. Simple yearly servicing $3-5K.

At yr. price point, a 430 coupe could be purchased but it will never be a DD; and, it's sufficiently special you'll be inclined to treat it like a tuxedo. How often do you wear a dirty tuxedo around. Never. It's pristine, hanging in the closet, just as yr. F. car will be tucked in the garage, buffed, most of the time.

The Porsche is simply practical, a great performer, take it to the track then out for dinner the same day. If only one car, surely it's a Porsche. If you've got money to play with and need a tuxedo in the closet, get the Ferrari as well.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:57 AM
bill8411
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up tt for the win

Great thread guys!

Looked at a Lamborghini G this summer, beautiful, but in the end, I bought an 08 tt cab. One of my issues was the interior space for a bigger guy, of which the L had far too little of. Plus when speaking of performance, the tt had it over the L in spades!!

One of my better decisions in life, other than my prudent choice of my wife, lol!!!

Last edited by bill8411; 11-26-2013 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Speling
Old 11-26-2013, 02:35 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

the 911 TTS is a nice daily driver. AWD, Automatic PDK and not too flashy.

The 430 can be daily driver but it is "in your face" styling.
Depending on where you live and where you go can be a factor when considering such a daily driver.
Ferraris sound great and are fun to drive. Takes a lot of character to drive one as a daily though.

Lambourginis are just all round lame IMHO. When was the last time you recall seeing or meeting somebody who drove a Lambourgini and thought they were "cool"? LoL
Old 11-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Leo997TT
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I trade my 997TT for a 04 Gallardo with 6k miles and in very happy with my Gallardo! I'm actually already making plans to trade it for a SL Gallardo in the next summer... My Gallardo put a smile on my face every day.... Lamborghini cars are way more reliable than Ferrari cars thanks to Audi. If you are looking for Exotic go with the Lambirghini If you are looking for reliable, warranty and excellent performance go with the 997TTS If you are looking for name recognition go with Ferrari
Attached Images   
Old 11-26-2013, 06:36 AM
Leo997TT
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Lambourginis are just all round lame IMHO. When was the last time you recall seeing or meeting somebody who drove a Lambourgini and thought they were "cool"? LoL

Mmmmmmmmmm
Old 11-26-2013, 08:59 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

once I almost got a 308.......I wish I did get it because that is a car with presence!
but alas.........I ended up spending twice as much on a Targa......haha......then a TT...

I could have gotten a brand new Lambo, or even an Fcar......but that's a lot of responsibility.....
and I didn't want the attention either.....plus, now I have three cars instead of just one

I love my TT, despite it being in the shop today for a battery......it's a great car to drive!
Old 11-26-2013, 09:44 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Tried a Lambo, cockpit was too low and too tight. Tried an F430 with 20K miles, asked for the service records, 20K worth of work, too much for me, then tried a Ferrari California, WOW, nice but not a DD. TT is the best all-around. BTW, Porsche of Tysons (VA) has a 2012 S for $119K. I've never seen it but I follow their site. It started at $126K so I know they want to aggressively move it.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 267 Posts

Many years ago (2005?) my friend picked up a (almost) brand new Ferrari 612 Scaglietti in Charcoal with the rare manual. This car is probably the only non PCar GT car that I would buy. Very civilized, the V12 is incredible, the car looks awesome (to me), and you don't get much/any gawking since it is not red and relatively low key. One of these days he will want to sell it...

Last edited by Igooz; 11-26-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:49 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo997TT
Mmmmmmmmmm
My bad
Just realized we have a lambo owner here…

In fairness, a lambo has AWD which the older ferraris do not which makes the lambo dare I say practical, but for a weekend (secondary car) rwd is all you will ever need.
Some say the manual transmission ferraris are worth a look now that F1 tranny has taken over.
430 is mosty reliable with none of the old belt service crap.
360 I beleive still requires engine out belt service. But is first of the aluminum mono body era when comparing it to a an older F355.
550 is front engine V12 manual tranny. Classic ferrari configuration.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
Many years ago (2005?) my friend picked up a (almost) brand new Ferrari 612 Scaglietti in Charcoal with the rare manual. This car is probably the only non PCar GT car that I would buy. Very civilized, the V12 is incredible, the car looks awesome (to me), and you don't get much/any gawking since it is not red and relatively low key. One of these days he will want to sell it...
Yes!!! I'm always drooling over those on eBay, will have one someday I hope.

Quick Reply: Older Ferrari/Lambo instead of Turbo S?