Sponsored by:

Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 07:15 PM
limitedslip
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes?

Anyone has them? I would love to hear your opinion on how it sounds and how you like it. There's hardly any videos on youtube.

I currently have the maxflo setup and considering ditching the mufflers for their bypass pipes.

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2014, 02:09 AM
Streetgear
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by limitedslip
Anyone has them? I would love to hear your opinion on how it sounds and how you like it. There's hardly any videos on youtube.

I currently have the maxflo setup and considering ditching the mufflers for their bypass pipes.

Thanks!
What is the reason for wanting to bypass the mufflers? If it for sound I understand but for power there is nothing to be had. Your muffler are a flow through design. If it for power I would suggest bypassing the Cats if you can get away with it in your state. You will need to run an 02 simulator or have you car tuned otherwise there will be a CEL.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:17 PM
limitedslip
Rennlist Member

It's not for power, the car is stock and I'm perfectly happy with it that way It would be purely for sound. But then I do not know what to expect. Is it going to be crazy loud or still reasonable? I'm surprised how little feedback there are on those. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Birk1
Intermediate

Still very reasonable
I have straight pipes on my car (no cat FVD).

Love it

It's loud but not stupid loud
Ryan
Old 02-14-2014, 05:26 PM
limitedslip
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your input Ryan.

Some people argue that having no mufflers results in torque loss. What are your thoughts? Notice anything when you switched?
Old 02-14-2014, 09:31 PM
Streetgear
Intermediate

It's not for power, the car is stock and I'm perfectly happy with it that way It would be purely for sound. But then I do not know what to expect. Is it going to be crazy loud or still reasonable? I'm surprised how little feedback there are on those. Thanks for the reply.
If you want better sound bypassing the mufflers will do the trick. It will still be reasonable as long as you don't remove cats.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:13 PM
BrentM368
1st Gear

I have bypass pipes for muffler portion available from fabspeed. You'll need to buy the cat bypass pipes. PM me for price and I'll cut you a deal.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:01 AM
Birk1
Intermediate

Thanks for your input Ryan.

Some people argue that having no mufflers results in torque loss. What are your thoughts? Notice anything when you switched?
I haven't experienced a bit of that.

That is folklore from experience w turbo cars - they spool faster = more boost = more power faster.

My TT is flashed too - it spools so fast now and "feels" faster - probably because it's loud

I like it
Old 02-16-2014, 04:22 PM
prg
Pro

Can't speak directly to the 997tt, but I had a set for my 996tt. I put them on for a few track days and promptly sold them. I found them intolerably loud. The novelty of hearing the turbos spooling quickly wore off. I generally don't enjoy very loud environments, so your enjoyment of them may be far greater than mine.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:27 AM
limitedslip
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies fellas. I am planning to keep the cats, so it won't be like a complete "straight pipe" exhaust.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:24 PM
mpiffaretti
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the Fabspeed X pipe without resonators , basically a straight pipe, with hi flow HJC 200 cell cats. Its sounds great and its not stupid loud, for me its just perfect. I can take my daughter to school without frown upon stares
Old 02-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Guys,

Just an FYI, the variable vane turbo cars will sound different from the 996TT. Better, not as obnoxious.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes?