Sponsored by:

Tire Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 05:34 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
Question Tire Noise

I just read L-perm's thread on road noise which prompts my question specifically on tire noise. My recently acquired 09 TT came with a new set of Potenza RE050A mounted. On a recent 1000 mile trip the tires seemed noisy to me. Of course this was on Califs now 3rd world roads so that might be part of the issue, but they still seemed loud. As all high performance tires will get noisier as they gain heat cycles and lose tread, I'm wondering what my tires will sound like once they've racked up some miles.
Here's my question, it there a tire from the usual list of choices that is quieter that the rest? I'll probably never track my car and frankly any appropriate tire will probable deliver more that enough performance from a traction standpoint, so my criteria probably places road noise and ride comfort above other considerations. I don't care about tread life (they're all pretty short and get noisier with age anyway) and don't care about wet traction either (it's So Cal, so no rain). I also appreciate an aggressive tread pattern like the 888's, but wonder if a super high performance tire like that will be noisy and harsh. I've always assumed that the Michelins are the best choice from an overall perspective, but I noticed someone even dissed them for noise. Any tire experts want to weigh in on the question? Thanks
Old 04-18-2014, 06:17 PM
AllanB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have same tires and they have very poor reviews for road noise and ride quality.
I hate them. When alone they don't bother me quite as much as crank up the stereo and use my blower fan to mask the tire noise.

I think am going to go with probably the Hankooks that put on my SL55. Those are much better and also I have zero intention of ever tracking my car. I forget what model of hankook and think they have even a newer more improved version . You can look them up on like Discount tire direct? think they are called.
They are very affordably priced. I also do see pretty good comments on the Michelin super sports.
I may try to suffer thru this season as those bridestones are still nearly brand new but they are definitely going to be off the car next season. I think the "stones " part of the name is appropriate. They ride like stones. They handle pretty good about all I can say for them and they might have long tread life but really don't care would rather change tires more often and enjoy quiet and nicer ride.
Also I think notice road noise/tire noise more as my car has such a wimpy exhaust. I want likely a europipe but those are stupid expensive. So likely next year country on that. The factory should have put in a dual mode exhaust like corvettes have. Loud when you want and quiet when you want. Best of both worlds.

Anyway its not you,those Bridestones re50 do SUCK! LOL
Old 04-18-2014, 06:30 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

For DD I have found Michelin to be satisfactory...
Old 04-18-2014, 08:22 PM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

Pilot Super Sport is Michelin's Max Performance Summer tire that's what I am trying next.

Ian
Old 04-18-2014, 09:01 PM
Sobrut911
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I switched from Pirellis to Michelin super sports and they are quieter and handle great.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:21 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

MPSS are quite good. I'm in my fourth set. Can't say that noise is no issue, but I think this is the best I can get from a 997.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:48 PM
550bryan
Pro

MPSS seems like the preferred choice. Does anyone know about the ride and noise properties of the 888's? Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:52 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm running Michelin Super Sports. The fact is, if you want less tire noise, buy a 991--it's much improved in that area. Most any tire will make noise in our car; the 997's priority wasn't ridding itself of that roar.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:11 PM
550bryan
Pro

Originally Posted by docfink
I'm running Michelin Super Sports. The fact is, if you want less tire noise, buy a 991--it's much improved in that area. Most any tire will make noise in our car; the 997's priority wasn't ridding itself of that roar.
docfink, Great suggestion, you wouldn't happen to have an extra 100K sitting around you could loan me to cover the difference between my 09 and a new 991 turbo? Just kidding. I realize the purpose of the 997 TT, and it's not primarily driven my NVH considerations. Of course I would argue that the 991 is intended to basically serve the same purpose and as you say it is markedly better from that perspective. I accept what my 997 is and am enjoying it immensely, that said I'd still prefer it to have less tire noise if possible. Certainly when I replace the tires I want to select a tire that is superior in that regard. My experience tells me tires are not all the same. So far the consensus seems to be the MPSS. Still wondering about the 888's but no one has offered an opinion on them.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:02 PM
AllanB
Advanced

Here are the hankooks and they have an upgraded model might be even better. Am very happy with these on my SL55. Probably get these for my 911 also. But the super sports are not that much more either.
Either of these will be an improvement over the RE50s.

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 K120 previous model is evo k110

You can also go to sites like tire rack and look up reviews on whatever tire you are thinking of getting.

Last edited by AllanB; 04-24-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:18 AM
acf
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Bryan, I am on the same page as you regarding tire noise. from what I've read MPSS are the best we can do.

I do wish the cabin noise in our cars was quieter.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:25 AM
Yogi911
Racer

My car came with well worn 30% tread MPSSs and when i bought wheels they had 75% tread Hankooks on them. I know old tires are generally louder but the Hankooks are significantly more quiet fwiw. Not really a fair comparison just an observation.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:06 AM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

Just be aware as the MPSS age they get louder.

I had them on my SL55 amg and they were very loud I replaced them with 4 new ones and things got nice and quiet.

The Pirelli P zero is noisy from the start. The Hankooks are quiet with good grip and low noise.

Ian
Old 04-22-2014, 03:16 AM
550bryan
Pro

Originally Posted by flyjets
Just be aware as the MPSS age they get louder.

I had them on my SL55 amg and they were very loud I replaced them with 4 new ones and things got nice and quiet.

The Pirelli P zero is noisy from the start. The Hankooks are quiet with good grip and low noise.

Ian
Ian, Thanks, yea, you're right. Over a variety of cars with high performance tires I've observed that they all get louder as they wear and go throughout heat cycles. Every tire gets louder although some seem to be worse than others. Regardless, a new set of shoes always seem so much smoother and quieter, if they're not you're in big trouble......
Old 04-22-2014, 11:47 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Okay--you got me...

I still love the MPSS and they seem to be quieter on this car then they were on my '06. While they might get louder over time, I have no complaints with these and feel you'll enjoy them. They're incredibly grippy and let you know when they're at the limit of adhesion. I haven't used the Hankooks.

If I had an extra $100K laying around, I can assure you that other options would come to mind before loaning you the cash!

Originally Posted by 550bryan
docfink, Great suggestion, you wouldn't happen to have an extra 100K sitting around you could loan me to cover the difference between my 09 and a new 991 turbo? Just kidding. I realize the purpose of the 997 TT, and it's not primarily driven my NVH considerations. Of course I would argue that the 991 is intended to basically serve the same purpose and as you say it is markedly better from that perspective. I accept what my 997 is and am enjoying it immensely, that said I'd still prefer it to have less tire noise if possible. Certainly when I replace the tires I want to select a tire that is superior in that regard. My experience tells me tires are not all the same. So far the consensus seems to be the MPSS. Still wondering about the 888's but no one has offered an opinion on them.

Quick Reply: Tire Noise