Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This read is even better.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ck-turbos.html
Old 10-15-2014, 07:06 PM
Stage7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
This 9A1 vs Mezger debate is entertaining if nothing else. Fact: stock 9A1 DFI dfi combustion technology produces more power and is more efficient than efi. With DFI the combustion temps are lower so in turbocharged applications you can do more with boost than an efi mezger which needs to offset the higher combustion temps from adding boost. The 9A1 DFI produces more power per cc, is more efficient as a performance engine, and is simply more technologically advanced as an engine on a number of fronts, a clear step forward on all counts. i.e :9A1 has 40% less components than Mezger making for less complications/problems, weighs less, the new design allowing a lower center of gravity in chassis. All clear positive steps forward.

The age old argument the Mezger is tried proven and tested and the 9A1 isn't, is getting old along with the 997.1 platform in general.

9A1 has no history of premature failures least of all suffering from the same problems mezger suffers (i.e IMS shaft failures etc) note: 9A1 has been in the market in large numbers for some years now...purring away reliably, fuss free with better performance and all round efficiency.
Sure, race teams will always work with what they are accustomed to and, what they can get parts readily for at a cheaper price (usually for when it pops from over-tuning it without replacing the "rods" and other hard parts lol).

If there are any comparative weaknesses between both engines it is purely in the rods of 9A1 which are marginally lighter. Like big deal! How many tune the engine to a level which will bend rods anyway?...and those that do usually regret it at one point and/or sell the car off for reasons previously mentioned i.e it becomes a pig to drive beyond short blasts, becomes garage queen accordingly.
The whole Mezger is "detuned" story and 9A1 is "tuned out to the max stock" story is pure unadulterated fantasy, evidently based on die hard emotion with zero supportive facts beyond the weaker rods story (which is a thin argument at best).
Die hard's raving on about Mezger's racing history/pedigree as if they are driving around with a full blown Lemans race engine under their hood is laughable, as fact is a proper Mezger race engine has so many different up-rated internal hard and core parts than the street Mezger engine (save the basic bare block) it may as well be called a different engine model, yet certain owners of the street Mezger claim the same status as the race variant LMAO! You guys crack me up. Seriously. Who are you trying to fool? I mean just look at the differences in the pistons, rods, oil pump, crankshaft, valves, springs, camshafts etc..so why bother embarrassing yourselves by even comparing the two variants! Oh, but the block is the same lol so yup it's the same engine lol
I think the best cure for some guys is to actually get the keys to a new 9A1 car and take it out for a day, then get back into .1 mezger and deal with the fact the new car is simply better performing everywhere and not just down to the pdk box. Times have moved on boys and to much greener pastures....

PS. Forgot to add a DFI engine in general is far more costly to manufacture than a conventional EFI due to the requirement of more robust components, which kind of blows the argument that the engine is weaker and Porsche changed to the DFI to save money on production lol.
Great post...saved me from a lot of typing.

Nostalgia is the only valid argument for a stock/bolt ons street car.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:24 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage7
Great post...saved me from a lot of typing.

Nostalgia is the only valid argument for a stock/bolt ons street car.
Gents, there is no question that a 2014 model engine should have more power than a 2007 of the same model. I don't think anyone with a rational mind would argue any different.

But here are the facts:
996TT to 997TT: 15%+ HP increase over 7 years. Both with same 3.6L displacement

997TT to 991TT: 8% HP increase over 8 yrs. and the DFI is 3.8L vs the mezger at 3.6L. The additional displacement alone accounts for the majority of the HP increase.

With more boost and larger displacement why is the 9A1 TT only making 8% more HP if it is such a technological advancement? Am I really the only one disappointed with this? IMO the majority of the performance gains in the 991 TT are coming from the PDK, 4 wheel steering, and improvements to the chassis, but the power gains from the engine are not impressive by any measure.

All IMHO of course
Old 10-15-2014, 08:33 PM
speed21
Banned

Lmao guys. You are clutching at straws. Even Tom from CMS said in that link the .2 is soooo much better! A tune and a bit of fuel and voila 9 second! As I've said a few times here already. Grab the keys for a day and put one of the 9A1 engine'd cars through its paces and then tell me all about it ok. Porsche is about accel times and lap times both of which exceed the Mezger where the new car/engine is concerned. Forget the hp increases not being to "expectation". Its all meaningless when the the new car is eating the old car for breakfast. The new DFI engine is capable of much more yet doesn't need to do any more to spank mezger and blind freddy can see that. That's all that matters. While you guys are tripping on the nostalgia of an engine which in essence is vastly different in terms of internal parts than what your street engines have, the new street car has left you in its dust.

Read and weep: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ck-turbos.html

Game over.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:53 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Lmao guys. You are clutching at straws. Even Tom from CMS said in that link the .2 is soooo much better! A tune and a bit of fuel and voila 9 second! As I've said a few times here already. Grab the keys for a day and put one of the 9A1 engine'd cars through its paces and then tell me all about it ok. Porsche is about accel times and lap times both of which exceed the Mezger where the new car/engine is concerned. Forget the hp increases not being to "expectation". Its all meaningless when the the new car is eating the old car for breakfast. The new DFI engine is capable of much more yet doesn't need to do any more to spank mezger and blind freddy can see that. That's all that matters. While you guys are tripping on the nostalgia of an engine which in essence is vastly different in terms of internal parts than what your street engines have, the new street car has left you in its dust.

Read and weep: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ck-turbos.html

Game over.
You're stretching your evidence. It relates to times set at a drag strip with a modified DFI engine; no insight is offered about the modified DFI engine's purported advantages on a road course. Moreover, you legislate out of consideration or trivialize any evidence which runs counter to your views.

Sitting must be difficult for you.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:05 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by aa909
IMO the majority of the performance gains in the 991 TT are coming from the PDK, 4 wheel steering, and improvements to the chassis, but the power gains from the engine are not impressive by any measure.
Art I wasn't bringing the 2014 TT into the discussion as it is on another level again. Just working with the .2tt for now....to be fair.

Originally Posted by Doc V.
You're stretching your evidence. It relates to times set at a drag strip with a modified DFI engine; no insight is offered about the modified DFI engine's purported advantages on a road course. Moreover, you legislate out of consideration or trivialize any evidence which runs counter to your views.

Sitting must be difficult for you.
Lol. The engine was not modified. The tune was. 2 intercoolers an exhaust and some race fuel. That was what Tom said. No internal modifications or changes to turbos. Nada.

And your "sitting is difficult for you" comment is obviously based on your own personal experience. You really shouldn't assume the next persons position and direct insults just because the argument is not going to your particular favor.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:32 AM
Doc V.
Racer

Your emotions are getting the best of you, speed21, and you're losing track of reason. When details become inconvenient, you simply overlook them. The Champion car was modified, and Tom described the nature of the modifications: "new CMS/GIAC software, Tubi Race exhaust, Werks1 Y-Pipe & Airbox, Champion Intercoolers, IPD plenum, and a pair of drag radials on the rear wheels." Clearly, for you engine modifications must necessarily entail "internal modifications or changes to turbos." In other words, only internal modifications, altered turbos, or both constitute "engine modifications." While on some occasions you distort evidence to fit your position, in this instance you're restricting evidence.

I have no horse in this race, speed21. I am however, intrigued by the types of rationale and rhetorical strategies which some are employing.

You once used the abbreviation "LMAO." If you've been "laughing your *** off" to some of the responses to your posts, then you must have difficulty sitting. Your accusation concerning "direct insults" completely misses the mark.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:27 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc V.
Your emotions are getting the best of you, speed21, and you're losing track of reason. When details become inconvenient, you simply overlook them.

You once used the abbreviation "LMAO." If you've been "laughing your *** off" to some of the responses to your posts, then you must have difficulty sitting. Your accusation concerning "direct insults" completely misses the mark.
This sums it up in a nutshell and is why I have him blocked. Any little bit of credible evidence is overshadowed by his highly emotional and skewed posts. I think many of us tire of these responses.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:55 PM
garychios
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think speed is fine. Talking to major tuning shops like AMS, Shop CT shows how you guys are acting stupid with your .1 cars.

Everyone working on these cars will tell you the .2 is better from Tym S, To AMS, To Vivid and more. Do you guys even work on your cars? Or they just trophies with clean DME reports. lol
Old 10-17-2014, 01:06 AM
speed21
Banned

^ Cheers Gary. Since linking the CMS 9 sec .2 I've seemingly acquired two emotionally charged sheilas, one who interestingly wants to tell everyone about blocking me yet still can't refrain from reading my posts, now posting only to pop the boot in on me trying to seek the high moral ground, and looking for any support available lol! Pathetic really. Must be that time of the month I guess.

.1tt is still a great car but it's Game over against either of these two newer models...all over bar the shouting it would seem.

PS. Hey OP where did you get up to?
Old 10-17-2014, 01:18 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by garychios
I think speed is fine. Talking to major tuning shops like AMS, Shop CT shows how you guys are acting stupid with your .1 cars. Everyone working on these cars will tell you the .2 is better from Tym S, To AMS, To Vivid and more. Do you guys even work on your cars? Or they just trophies with clean DME reports. lol
Vivid excuse me repeat vivid as in the Vivid Racing? VRT tuning? I'm sorry but I would not list this name with those listed above. Even those with zeros in all rev ranges know this. Paul will agree with me here.

As far as this thread OP go for the .2 !

Does anyone know where I put in fuel? I can't find a gas cap in the back of the car!
Old 10-17-2014, 01:24 AM
speed21
Banned

Agree Tom Vivid wasn't the best choice to draw upon where cred is concerned but I get the gist of what Gary is saying re .2 and .1. Hey btw I see VR is on track in destroying the 991tt now....a work in progress.

What's this about the gas cap? Ya lost me..
Old 10-17-2014, 02:57 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts

You guys have gone off track. Key takeaway: no reason to avoid a 2011 TT. Get the newest car you can afford and enjoy the f$&@ out of it. Either an early or late 997 TT is going to be hellishly fun to drive.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:24 AM
93ls1rx7
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The primary reason the 997.2 runs 9's at the dragstrip with a tune, intercoolers and fuel is the PDK. It has nothing to do with anything else. The transmission is so far superior on the track than the 6speed or even Tip that it isnt even a contest.

I wonder if you could mate a PDK transmission to a 997.1 engine.....
Old 10-17-2014, 11:59 PM
Doc V.
Racer

I've seemingly acquired two emotionally charged sheilas, one who interestingly wants to tell everyone about blocking me yet still can't refrain from reading my posts, now posting only to pop the boot in on me trying to seek the high moral ground, and looking for any support available lol! Pathetic really. Must be that time of the month I guess.
You're reasoning ad hominem, speed21, in an attempt to create a distraction. There isn't much traction to be had from three sentences which are compromised by two material fallacies. Your attempts to control your thinking continue to deteriorate.

Quick Reply: Any reason to avoid 2011 TT?