Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Wheel - scraping, screeching, and then a clunk.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 11:43 PM
shrkatk
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wheel - scraping, screeching, and then a clunk.

Hey guys - bought a 2007 TT about two months ago (CPO, 25k miles). On my commute home today in lot's of stop-and-go traffic I started hearing a scraping/screeching noise that I think was coming from the driver side front wheel, like metal on metal. The noise alternated between a rubbing sound to a terrible scraping/screeching noise.

I happen to be driving by an independent shop that works on P-cars when the noise started so pulled in to talk to a tech. Took him for a short drive so he could hear it. Other than confirming the noise was coming from the left side of the car, he didn't have an idea and said there wasn't anyway to diagnose without getting it up on the lift. Unfortunately, he couldn't do it right then and there. He said it didn't sound like something catastrophic and recommended going to a dealer since it's under warranty. I continued home at that point (about 2 miles) figuring i would ask you guys before calling the dealer tomorrow.

The noises continued on the way home and would change a little when turning, braking or accelerating. The noise was unchanged when engaging the clutch and coasting.

Then, when I was a quarter mile from home, the screeching suddenly got very loud, and then there was a clunking noise...and the problem went away... completely.

My first assumption is that perhaps a rock got caught somewhere in the brakes, but no evidence of scoring or anything. There is still a lot of rocks/sand on the roads here in Northern VA from the winter. Sitting here thinking about it, I am remembering a similar thing happened soon after I bought the car about 2 months ago but the problem rectified itself after only about 1/8 mile - but same sounds, then a clunk and all better.

Any thoughts, suggestions, similar experiences? (I forgot to mention I have PCCBs).

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2015, 12:38 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Def get it to the dealer, sounds pccb related. Could've been some foreign body trapped in there all this time, let the dealer figure it out.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:21 AM
lexart
Racer

You likely got small rock that got caught between the caliper and the rotor. That happened to me twice. There maybe small visible trace on the rotor that will go away after a few miles. Nothing to worry about.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:00 AM
boxster-r
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is not the rotor, check if you can see any grease on the innerside of the rim.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:18 AM
ctony66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happened to me about a month ago when the roads were really dirty from winter. I've had the wheels off since then and found nothing wrong. Hasn't happened again since. It did scare the crap out of me when it happened. I thought my caliper came loose or it spit the brake pad out.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:11 AM
shrkatk
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by boxster-r
If it is not the rotor, check if you can see any grease on the innerside of the rim.
Haven't checked yet, but if there is grease what are you thinking it could be? Wheel bearing issue?

Thanks for all the responses. I suspect a foreign body got lodged then dislodged, but the repeat of the issue has me wondering. I will get it to the dealer to be safe.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:03 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 267 Posts

The brake dust shields on these cars are very large (specially pccb), pretty lightweight and flimsy. If one of them gets bent because of rocks or road debri then you will hear the same kind of stuff. Crank the wheels to one side and look at the dust shields.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:49 PM
boxster-r
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shrkatk
Haven't checked yet, but if there is grease what are you thinking it could be? Wheel bearing issue?

Thanks for all the responses. I suspect a foreign body got lodged then dislodged, but the repeat of the issue has me wondering. I will get it to the dealer to be safe.
hopefully not the front axle drive shaft bearing. (Gelenkwelle). Seems there are going quickly bad, if you get a broken rubber protection for the grease. (Staubbalg)

Quick Reply: Front Wheel - scraping, screeching, and then a clunk.