Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QUESTION: Pulling the parking brake one notch on 997.1 tt makes it RWD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 05:47 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Edovol
Just heard from a friend something which may sound like a urban legend: is it true that when you pull the parking brake (just enough to close the parking brake switch, without actually braking) it dis-engages the front drive??

Initially I thought it was a bit absurd, but then I realized that technically it could be possible on a 997.1 tt as the FWD is engaged by an electro-actuated clutch (normally dis-engaged)!

...still, all of this sounds too good to be true…

Any info?
I just did a quik search...it has been mentioned on renntech going back to 2010 but I certainly would call B.S. If you think about it, if you go RWD in a TT non LSD car you are in for some serious wheel (not wheels) spin issues and leave the car undrivable in certain conditions. On top of that PSM is going to go crazy...I would think the only way to go RWD that would make it nominal would be to do the full GT2 RWD conversion. My 2 cents anywho.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:50 PM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

guess what I am doing tomorrow...
Old 02-07-2019, 06:16 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by USNA12
guess what I am doing tomorrow...
LMAO...you and every other swinging D on here...
Old 02-07-2019, 06:18 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RJKflyer
True.

Confirmed to me by one of the Porsche Experience drivers.
Oh boy...here we go...ROTF
Old 02-07-2019, 06:24 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Okay...Couldn't resist...walked down the garage and started the P TT car, backed her out, One Click and One Click only on the parking brake. No Parking brake alert. So I took her for a drive and WOW...RWD, it works. She power slides out of corners with perfect oversteer...I am amazed and stupefied that anyone would believe this.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:29 PM
911.Forever
Racer

hard to believe if this hack were real, that somehow over the years there wasn't a leak. There has to be Porsche engineers on this forum, or 6Speed, or...For goodness sake, news is chock full of leaks these days.
I did find that if the park brake was set into the middle (have to count the clicks to be precise) the transmission failed to engage either front or rear axle while in park or neutral.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:53 AM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has to be total BS, at least for the 997.1 cars. I've followed the p-brake cable all the way back to the rear brakes and can't see any mechanical way how this would be possbile. Can't speak for 997.2 with PDK.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:13 AM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah....This is some of the dumbest Sh*t ever. The parking brake is a mechanical cable, and is simply the drum brake inside a hub made into the rear rotors. So if you do pull it up enough, you will cause the drum to expand and drag the shoes in the hub, until you eat off the material and they spin freely again. Also generate a bunch of heat and potentially warp the rotors. Also dumb, because if you want rear wheel drive, why in the hell would you put brakes on (mechanically) on the rear wheels...which is where the Emergency brake shoes are?

There is however, a secret hidden hack to do this. You have to remove the rear seats, and locate the unicorn horn that is right near the DME box. Then take the bonnet trim out and locate the TPMS module and insert the unicorn horn there. This will create RWD and add an additional 200 BHP!

DC
Old 02-10-2019, 01:52 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If this were really true (which it most probably isn't on the 997.1), it would have to be triggered electrically via the handbrake lever. There's no way it could be a mechanical connection.

Dan
Old 02-12-2019, 04:42 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 234 Posts

On Haldex Audi/VW cars it looks at the switch on the ebrake and will disable the rear clutch pack on those cars, which could be used to dyno the car or by pulling the pump fuse. I have not looked into any of it on the 997tt however.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:12 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by therock88
Yeah....This is some of the dumbest Sh*t ever. The parking brake is a mechanical cable, and is simply the drum brake inside a hub made into the rear rotors. So if you do pull it up enough, you will cause the drum to expand and drag the shoes in the hub, until you eat off the material and they spin freely again. Also generate a bunch of heat and potentially warp the rotors. Also dumb, because if you want rear wheel drive, why in the hell would you put brakes on (mechanically) on the rear wheels...which is where the Emergency brake shoes are?

There is however, a secret hidden hack to do this. You have to remove the rear seats, and locate the unicorn horn that is right near the DME box. Then take the bonnet trim out and locate the TPMS module and insert the unicorn horn there. This will create RWD and add an additional 200 BHP!

DC
I have no idea whether this is true or not, but if it is, it wouldn't be a mechanical mechanism. There is a sensor that checks whether the parking brake is activated; this is obvious because there's a light on the dash for the parking brake. Therefore, anything that can be activated electronically could be activated by the parking brake. There's nothing magical about pulling it up by one notch—that would simply trigger the detection (turn on the BRAKE light on the dash) without actually engaging the brake mechanically.

The claim is that the front drive is connected via an electronically controlled clutch. I don't know whether that's true or not, but if it is, there's no reason why it couldn't be triggered by the parking brake sensor.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:35 AM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Im definitely trying this by the end of this week when my new springs come and my car is on a lift
Old 02-13-2019, 04:40 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Just did a bit more reading, and the 997tt (.1 and .2) does indeed use an electronically controlled multi-clutch center diff to control torque split between front and rear axles, AND the center diff is set to open when ABS is engaged. It seems very plausible to me that it would also open when the parking brake sensor is triggered. Wouldn't know for sure without trying it, but I find it amusing how many people are confidently asserting that it's impossible, to the point of ridiculing anyone who might believe it.

Edit: There's some good info on the system in this thread, for anyone interested: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...m_details.html
Old 02-13-2019, 11:44 AM
USNA12
Banned

Fun fact: didn't work.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:27 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

One Click and One Click only on the parking brake. No Parking brake alert.
Fun fact: didn't work.
You don't say.

I mean, it's hard to tell what's fact vs sarcasm, but if that's really what you did, of course it didn't work. Again, I have no idea whether this works or not, but if it does, it would be an electronic mechanism triggered by the parking brake sensor. If that's not activated, it wouldn't work.

Quick Reply: QUESTION: Pulling the parking brake one notch on 997.1 tt makes it RWD?