Sponsored by:

Looking for feedback from Tiptronic owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 10:39 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking for feedback from Tiptronic owners

Any regrets? Sure everyone loves the 6 speed manual, but my 997TT will be a daily driver. I'm not a track rat, and I've got a torn meniscus in both knees

I'm getting much better deals on tiptronics, cars with lower mileage that appear to be driven less hard. Cleaner DME reports too, with several tips showing a 0 in ranges 3-6. I'm tempted to go with a tip. Are they really marginally faster to 60 and in the 1/4 mile?

Thoughts?
Old 06-06-2016, 11:06 PM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I own a 996TT Tip, love it for driving around the NYC burbs which are traffic filled and pothole ridden. allows me to focus on handling and braking and the tip, while no manual, still allows manual shifting albeit with a very slight delay in response. have owned manual sports cars previously, no regrets here.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:20 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by svb
Any regrets? Sure everyone loves the 6 speed manual, but my 997TT will be a daily driver. I'm not a track rat, and I've got a torn meniscus in both knees

I'm getting much better deals on tiptronics, cars with lower mileage that appear to be driven less hard. Cleaner DME reports too, with several tips showing a 0 in ranges 3-6. I'm tempted to go with a tip. Are they really marginally faster to 60 and in the 1/4 mile?

Thoughts?
I love mine. Drive it daily. Yes they are quicker 0-60 and 1/4. They are less engaging obviously. The tip is pretty well mated to the boost profile of the Turbo.

It "learns" which means if you putter around all the time it gets less and less aggressive. If you drive it hard for a bit, its aggression will ramp up.

Sport Chrono is a must IMO. Sport button makes a difference.

The biggest short coming is that it loves to start in 2. But if you ride in sport mode and drive aggressively, it will do that less and less. You can also flick down to first with the tip buttons. Lousy compared to paddles, but they work.

It's tough b/c IMO a 6MT 911 is one of the great driving experiences. The Turbo is a speed appliance really though, so the auto fits.

If you go newer you can get the PDK, but then you lose the Mezger. Personally I'm not a huge fan of dual clutch, but most disagree. End of the day for me hydraulic steering is actually more important than transmission, but again subjective.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:35 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I love mine ... 07 Tip. After a few upgrades it's perfect. You must do a tune! Responsive and easy to drive.

Just add the 997.2 paddle....it makes the driving more involved.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:47 PM
ags28
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up 997.1 TT Tip

I like mine just fine. Best of both worlds. You can cruise in auto or shift for yourself. Besides, the 997TT is so fast it doesn't matter!!
Old 06-07-2016, 01:32 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 435 Posts

I don't have a tip so I shouldn't be responding but I was compelled to anyway. I have a pdk (similar in a way) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE not shifting anymore with my messed up knees. I drove a manual 911 for 17 years. Would never go back due to the knees and horrible bumper to bumper traffic.

I find it curious that people really talk about 0-60 mph #'s on here like it's that important to be faster by 1/2 a second or whatever. Really? Doesn't it depend on the driver? And who really needs to beat another car out by 1/2 second?

1/2 second could totally depend on how you are able to drive a car. I'm sure my 2.8 or 3.0 or whatever 0-60 time on my car would never, ever be achievable to me. I'm not the greatest or most knowledgeable driver. I only know it's fast as sh** and that's good to me.

I'd just get your tip and enjoy the heck out of it. You can't go wrong. Or pony up a bit more and get a PDK car, much more preferable to me. I decided to kill my budget and just do it. I don't have lattes or expensive meals too much anymore and I'm loving that I "went for it" on the PDK car.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:53 AM
vettenomore
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've only had my '08 TT for a couple months now and I've never driven another 911TT so I don't have much of a reference point. However, I came from the Corvette world where I had MTs on all my cars. I wasn't sure how I would like going to an AT sports car. My car has a tune, headers, and exhaust and is much faster than my vettes ever were. I occasionally miss rowing through the gears, but I was ready to try something different and, for the most part, I have been very happy with the tip. I previously drove my friend's Carrera S with PDK and thought it was a great transmission but, honestly, for street driving I don't notice that much difference.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:31 AM
jaycm3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also looking at 6mt turbos but after driving the tip i was happy. Like previously mentioned it fits the turbo motor well. If i wasnt looking at turbos but NA 911 then the 6mt is a must. If the Mezger came w a pdk id be in heaven.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:20 PM
Steven954
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Not a surprise

There is a reason why the tips your are finding are drastically cheaper than the manual, most want a manual. My cousin had an '08 997TT insanely modified, loved the car but wished it was stick. From what I understand, big different between the PDK and Tiptronic on these cars, with that said I would go with PDK if you want an automatic. I know I will get blasted, but will say it anyway... Nothing like a Stick!!!

To be honest, if my turbo was my DD I would not enjoy it as much being a manual, especially in Los Angeles traffic.

My DD is an automatic Lexus. I just feel that all sports cars should be stick..

Either way, you will love the Turbo. Good Luck with your search.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:22 PM
TTurboRoo
Advanced

I certainly found the manual cars a bit more costly but "drastically"..... I don't think so! I bought the 997tt to enjoy the power and technology of a very late car that afforded me the choice to shift or not. There was nothing I wanted about a 6mt 997tt. I have and have had enough stick shift cars. I personally love the Tip on the 997tt and the E55 AMG cars both. They learn but if YOU learn them you can enjoy a more relaxed driving experience as well as have all the fun you want and shift all you want. With Sport Chrono on, it start out in first gear all the time and is more responsive both. What you can't do with a 6mt is make it automatic when you would like to!
Old 06-08-2016, 11:14 AM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I love my tip and agree, the prices aren't "drastically" cheaper. I easily outrun similarly mod'd MT cars, and if I want to shift I just put it in manual mode. If you have knee issues, don't even think twice about buying a tip, it's great, and a ton of fun to drive. BTW, if you do decide to track your car, many instructors will tell you they can get a tip owner faster around the track sooner than a MT owner. :-)
Old 06-08-2016, 04:54 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts

Start engine, turn on "Sport Mode", drive, smile like a kid again, every time you drive the car
Old 06-08-2016, 05:00 PM
rayng
Rennlist Member

not for a second. i love my 997tt tip. wife can drive it too--which she does from time to time. she didn't want me to buy too many cars she can't or won't drive. so tip it is.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:24 PM
Jean-marc Rif
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rayng
not for a second. i love my 997tt tip. wife can drive it too--which she does from time to time. she didn't want me to buy too many cars she can't or won't drive. so tip it is.
Same here, wife influenced purchase of a car that we both can drive. Went for the tip and never regretted it. Weirdly enough in our part of the world (Lebanon-Middle East) demand for tips is much higher than MT. Tips command a 10k premium over MTs, guess it has to do with the roads and the traffic.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:27 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 230 Posts

i DD mine, and tip was IMO a way better choice. ZERO regrets .

Quick Reply: Looking for feedback from Tiptronic owners