Looking to trade up from a 997.2 to a 997.1...thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 03:49 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Looking to trade up from a 997.2 to a 997.1...thoughts

997.2 C2 to a 997.1 Turbo.

I'll spare everyone the fulfilling a lifelong dream to own a Porsche stories, because I suspect we all had that experience, plus I've already done that by owning my current car. When my wife gave me the green light to go ahead and get the Porsche, I was only given two conditions... 1.) a budget of $50K, and 2.) it had to be an automatic. Not one to argue when I was getting most of what I wanted, I picked this up... at 2009 C2 w/PDK and Sport Chrono.

It's a fantastic car, and one I'd be happy to keep for the haul if that's what it comes down to. But we just got her a "fun car" (a Z4, don't ask), so now the whole "it has to be an automatic" thing is out the window. Naturally I've taken that as my cue to start shopping for the 6sp that I really wanted...only it wouldn't be worth it to trade unless I can trade up!

So now I'm looking for the keeper, and I'm taking my time with it. I've got a little better budget this time as well, and mid-mileage 997.1 Turbos are starting to sit right in there. Not low mileage garage queens going for $80K... but cars that have between 30K-50K miles. This is the keeper, so resale is not that important for me. If the car has been driven, but has a great maintenance record, that's actually preferable.

So this post is two-fold. One, it is sort of a WTB post (though the fact that I have to sell or trade my current car makes it less pressing and more likely to have to deal with a broker or dealership), but more importantly it is a information gathering thread, especially from those of you that previously had NA 911s (or still do) and now own turbos. Worth the upgrade? Wish you had stayed with your NA 911? Part of me remembers from years as an S2000 owner that the NA version was much more fun than the modded turbo version I later bought. I know that's a much smaller scale, but that car was fun and tossable at crank hp and adding another 100+ didn't make it more fun at all. Then again, we're not talking about S2000s here, and it's hard to get away from the fact that the 997TT is the car I've really always wanted.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:20 PM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll respond with the caveat that I may not have gone down the road you are asking about. I moved from a 2002 C4 M/T to a 2012 TT with PDK. I have a back issue so the prospect of staying with a M/T wasn't in the cards. As for Turbo vs NA....huge upgrade in grin factor with the Turbo.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:24 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

i just sold a sweet .1 3 pedal turbo because I prefer NA engines.
I console myself by driving my wife's .2 C2S or the 360M as I shop for a .2 GT3.

If you prefer turbo over NA, .1 Turbo is hard to beat.

have fun.
turbo and C2S below
Attached Images   
Old 06-13-2016, 07:26 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts

I know you are looking at a TT and I totally get that but have you considered a n/a move up like say a .2 GTS? You'd get a pretty big bump in hp from where you are now ~ 50 hp
Old 06-13-2016, 08:24 PM
vbb
Pro

Thanks for the replies. As far as whether or not I have considered a GTS, the question is absolutely yes. A 997.2 GTS is the only other car on my ”realistic and attainable" wish list other than a 997.1 turbo. Personally, I think it's the ultimate in a vehicle, because I would like to retain the rear seats and don't need the pure track-focused weapon of a GT3.

Now, whether or not I would prefer an NA vs a turbo I don't really know. I have never driven a turbo Porsche. I realize the only way to know for sure is to drive one, but that's part of the reason I posted this thread. I would like to know from those of you who have driven both what your thoughts are. I figured most people here will say get the turbo, because it's the turbo section of the forum obviously, but I also realize that some people may have regrets.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:24 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by cgfen
i just sold a sweet .1 3 pedal turbo because I prefer NA engines.
I console myself by driving my wife's .2 C2S or the 360M as I shop for a .2 GT3.

If you prefer turbo over NA, .1 Turbo is hard to beat.

have fun.
turbo and C2S below
Both are simply beautiful. I love the Orange. Is that a PTS?
Old 06-13-2016, 08:37 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 790 Posts

I've driven many modern Porsches, turbo and naturally aspirated. I like things about all of them. My 996 C4S was my daily driver for many years.

I prefer the turbo, for many reasons. The huge rush of boost is certainly fun, but you also have to be aware of turbo lag. It's an issue for some people, but not for others. To me, the turbo represents the flagship of the 911 line (excluding specials, GT2, etc.). The car is trimmed out at a higher level than most 997s, and the look is more interesting with the rear spoiler and the intakes on the sides. I don't know if you really care about this, but the turbo has a more exotic feel to it.

I think you'll be hooked once you drive a turbo, but only you can make that choice.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:34 PM
TTurboRoo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, what I have to say is that if you have never driven a factory built Porsche Turbo... of almost any vintage, just go drive a candidate or two. I won't get into the mt vs tip or pdk... it is simply this: When you put your foot in the kitchen of a 997TT for a few seconds you will turn to the Lord. There is a 90 percent chance that you will immediately say "Oh my God", "Jesus Christ", or "Holy ****". These are the three things that I have heard and enjoyed hearing for 30 years in my Turbo cars!

If you have never driven a 997TT it is entirely likely that you actually won't put your foot in the kitchen the first time and keep it there for very long but if you DO keep it there, after about 12-15 seconds, when you are passing 140mph, 150mph, 160mph, 170mph, 180mph..... you WILL get it!!

Go test drive and prepare for the smile of your life!!

Rex
Old 06-14-2016, 01:06 AM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Turbo is at the top, hp/acceleration is certainly there, but it's not just that...there's more to it. I wasn't floored by the power in the Turbo, it's about the overall feel, appearance, and intangibles. Additionally, resale is great, engineering, reliability, etcetera, all play a part, but the Turbo is viceral experience. In any event, go drive a FEW and report back! I recommend driving more than one, as I have driven some that were not properly maintained and it made a difference. It's the car you've always wanted, and I have a feeling you'll regret stepping into any other car every single day.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:03 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Indiana Jones
. It's the car you've always wanted, and I have a feeling you'll regret stepping into any other car every single day.
+1^
You can always go back to NA.
You'll also notice your foot going to he floor a lot more in any other car after driving a turbo regularly.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:14 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this a trick question?
Old 06-15-2016, 08:45 AM
Retinasurgeon
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CodeRed
Is this a trick question?

Haha. I agree the turbo is a special car. There is no comparison.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:56 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

$50,000 plus trade value of the old car? That'll get you into a nice 997.2TT PDK. I haven't driven a 997.1TT Tip, but unless it's significantly different from all other slush-box auto's, i don't think i'll like it. And knowing you're coming from a PDK, i'm pretty sure you might agree with me.

Manual 997.1TT>997.2TT
Auto 997.2TT>997.1TT

$0.02
Old 06-16-2016, 05:03 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by anonymoususer
$50,000 plus trade value of the old car? That'll get you into a nice 997.2TT PDK. I haven't driven a 997.1TT Tip, but unless it's significantly different from all other slush-box auto's, i don't think i'll like it. And knowing you're coming from a PDK, i'm pretty sure you might agree with me.

Manual 997.1TT>997.2TT
Auto 997.2TT>997.1TT

$0.02
No, unfortunately it is not $50,000 plus the value of my current car. My budget for my current car was $50,000. I have a larger budget than that now of course but I do need to sell my current car first, or trade it in. I've called around a few brokers/dealers I know in the area, and even put my car up for sale as sort of a test, and I am finding out that I'm probably not going to get what I think my car is worth and I'm not that hell bent on upgrading to a turbo that I'm willing to let my car go for a song. Plus, if I'm honest, my car is set up just the way I like it. Even if I got a 997.1TT, I would want to do a few things to it, and that's just more money to factor into the deal.

The pdk is a nice compromise but a 6mt is really what I would have preferred from the get-go, and on my next car that's what I plan to get.

Last edited by vbb; 08-30-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:39 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
No, unfortunately it is not $50,000 plus the value of my current car. My budget for my current car was $50,000. I have a larger budget than that now of course but I do need to sell my current car first, or trade it in. I've called around a few brokers/dealers I know in the area, and even put my car up for sale as sort of a test, and I am finding out that I'm probably not going to get what I think my car is worth and I'm not that hell bent on upgrading to a turbo that I'm willing to let my car go for a song. Plus, if I'm honest, my car is set up just the way I like it. Even if I got a 997.1TT, I would want to do a few things to it, and that's just more money to factor into the deal.

You are right about the fact that I would not even consider a Tiptronic. It's not that I think the car would be bad, it's just not what I'm looking for. The pdk is a nice compromise but a 6mt is really what I would have preferred from the get-go, and on my next car that's what I plan to get.
I hear ya. My last three cars were equipped with dual clutch boxes, and prior to that i've never owned an automatic. My 997.1TT is a manual, but i actually really miss the dual clutch setup!

Quick Reply: Looking to trade up from a 997.2 to a 997.1...thoughts