Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Error-Free LED Driving Lights (Type 194 Bulbs)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 11:14 PM
Southpaw
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Error-Free LED Driving Lights (Type 194 Bulbs)

I couldn't stand the yellowish driving lights so I bought a pair of LED bulbs for the driving lights to match the headlights a little better.

I bought a pair of LED bulbs from VLEDS for the driving lights and they're triggering an error.

Looks like I'll need to buy different ones which won't cause the errors... Where can I get error-free, type 194 (wedge) LED bulbs?

Second question is, where can I move these LED bulbs since I already have them? I'm thinking possibly somewhere in the interior that uses the same bulb sizes?

Any input appreciated.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:09 AM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OhSoCal
I couldn't stand the yellowish driving lights so I bought a pair of LED bulbs for the driving lights to match the headlights a little better.

I bought a pair of LED bulbs from VLEDS for the driving lights and they're triggering an error.

Looks like I'll need to buy different ones which won't cause the errors... Where can I get error-free, type 194 (wedge) LED bulbs?

Second question is, where can I move these LED bulbs since I already have them? I'm thinking possibly somewhere in the interior that uses the same bulb sizes?

Any input appreciated.
Yes...Anywhere in interior, they will not trigger a CEL.

You can search on ebay for these T10/W5W/194 bulbs. Include the terms Canbus and/or error in your search (i.e. 194 canbus error led) or (t10 canbus led error) and you will get lots of options that will work and not throw errors. Also want bulbs that are 6000K for bright white, or sometimes called Crystal White.

Good luck,
DC

Old 07-19-2016, 12:12 PM
kchu221
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by therock88
Yes...Anywhere in interior, they will not trigger a CEL.

You can search on ebay for these T10/W5W/194 bulbs. Include the terms Canbus and/or error in your search (i.e. 194 canbus error led) or (t10 canbus led error) and you will get lots of options that will work and not throw errors. Also want bulbs that are 6000K for bright white, or sometimes called Crystal White.

Good luck,
DC

Thank you for the info!
Old 07-19-2016, 12:52 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

The sylvania osrams didn't work for me. I just went back to the standard lights. oh well.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:34 PM
BigBen97
Racer

I will look at what I bought from Amazon but they are error free. I ordered 2 sets and one did throw error codes while the other set didn't.

Edit, here's the ones that worked. Not the prettiest but you really can't see them in the housing.

iJDMTOY (2) 6-SMD-5630 2825 W5W T10 Canbus Error Free LED Replacement Bulbs For Audi BMW Mercedes Porsche Parking Lights, License Plate Lights, Xenon White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OAOANYK..._EL8Jxb3BKXVZF

Last edited by BigBen97; 07-20-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:24 PM
altesporsche
Instructor

ok not to jump in here but how in the H#ll do you turn the driving lights on... I cannot for the life of me get mine to work. lol
I ordered 194 LED from USP motorsports and they are great and almost match my HID headlights in the DRL position next to the signals.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:52 PM
Southpaw
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by altesporsche
ok not to jump in here but how in the H#ll do you turn the driving lights on... I cannot for the life of me get mine to work. lol
I ordered 194 LED from USP motorsports and they are great and almost match my HID headlights in the DRL position next to the signals.
It should be the click between "home" and the headlights on.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:32 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Will they plug into rear tail lights?
Old 07-27-2016, 12:02 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 790 Posts

Which lights are you calling "driving lights"?

In some countries, the lights that we call "high beams" in the US are known as driving lights. Many people do want to swap the OE bulbs out for something that matches the HID color temperature a little bit better.

You could also be referring to the "city lights", which are the two outboard incandescent bulbs in the LED turn signal assembly in the turbo. Those can also be swapped out for something different. The city lights are activated by turning the light switch to either the middle or far right position.

You could also be referring to the fog lights on the 997.1 turbo. These were replaced with LED DRLs on the 997.2 turbo. The fog lights are activated by pulling the light switch out. This can only be done when the lights are on, in either the first or second position. Changing these bulbs is also possible, although they would lose effectiveness in foggy conditions with a higher color temperature bulb.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Dennis C; 07-27-2016 at 12:39 PM. Reason: added image
Old 07-29-2016, 10:28 PM
BigBen97
Racer

For clarity I did the city lights.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:12 AM
altesporsche
Instructor

I cannot for the life of me get those fogs to turn on in my car. originally an American car now in Canada. the city lights work, but I cannot get the fogs on. tried every position on the light switch. starting to **** me off lol
Old 07-30-2016, 08:53 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts

Have you tried pulling the light switch out/towards you? It should do so after rotated two clicks to the right.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:53 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Interesting. Pulling the switch out to the first position should activate the fog lights, and pulling it out to the second position should activate the rear fog light.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:25 AM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by altesporsche
I cannot for the life of me get those fogs to turn on in my car. originally an American car now in Canada. the city lights work, but I cannot get the fogs on. tried every position on the light switch. starting to **** me off lol
My car is a 2012 TT and the "Fog" lights (the lights in the lower corners of the front grill) are illuminated when I go to the PCM computer controls and turn "Daytime Driving Lights" on and then they run w/o turning the switch at all. My "City Light" (outside light on the led cluster) come on when I turn the lights to position 1 or 2. Pulling the switch 1 click at position 2 has no affect but pulling it the second time does turn on the rear "Fog Light". I must be missing something here because what I would consider the fog lights (down on the front bumper) act more like daytime driving lights.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:24 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I'll try to find the article that I read about that. As I recall, Porsche replaced the fog lights on the 997.2 turbo with LED DRLs because the new headlight design obviated the need for fog lights.

Quick Reply: Error-Free LED Driving Lights (Type 194 Bulbs)