Sponsored by:

Tire question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 11:42 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts
Default Tire question...

Hi guys - just looking for an up to date recommendation on tires for my C2S. I recently purchased a set of all season Continentals (model ?) on my OEM 17" Cup II's and, frankly, it drives like sh#t!

It tracks fine in a straight line but I have to muscle it through the turns and it seems to "bob" all over the place. Yeesh!

Next step is to check the pressures.

Any thoughts, recommendations?

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-18-2016, 11:46 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Any thoughts, recommendations?

Thanks in advance...

Ahhhh, don't run all season tires on a 911 unless you plan to drive in the snow.

How do you use the car?

Look into Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Yoko AD08R.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:31 PM
MK_TT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Michelin pilot super sports will solve the problem.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:16 PM
vettenomore
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had Continental DWS tires on two of my previous Corvettes (C6) and found them to be exceptional STREET tires for the money. Good dry traction, exceptional traction in the wet, and pretty good in light snow. The DWS stood up pretty well for spirited driving but I would never have considered them to be suitable for track use. I would check pressure and alignment before blaming the tire. If those aren't the problem, then perhaps that isn't a good tire for your car. Disclaimer, I just purchased Conti DWs for my 997.1 tt and will have them installed tomorrow - I'm hoping they ride and wear as good as the DWS. Again, I got them for primarily street use.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:33 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 790 Posts

I'm personally not a fan of all-season (aka no-season) tires in any situation on a Porsche sports car. They will allow you to get by in most situations, but they won't excel in any situations. I've used the DWS on my wife's SUV in the past, and they were fine for that application in warmer weather. She never pushed the car too hard. In winter conditions, they are no substitute for a proper winter tire. I experienced this first hand when I saw her trying to drive up our driveway in an early season snow. She was stuck at the bottom, with all four wheels spinning. Once I switched to proper winter tires, she was able to drive up the driveway like it was dry.

Tire selection is one of the most important decisions you can make for your car. They can dramatically impact ride, handling, grip, braking, acceleration, etc. If you are okay with a tire that compromises in all situations but gives you flexibility, then you should consider an all-season tire. If you want a tire that maximizes your car's handling, then you should consider an ultra performance, summer only tire. You should switch to a proper winter tire in winter conditions. Every choice has some compromises. If you want the safety of a run flat tire, it's out there. What you give up is ride quality. The sidewalls in run flats are very stiff, allowing them to hold their shape if they lose pressure.

The holy grail of a tire that gives you maximum performance and long life hasn't been discovered yet. I do believe that the life expectancy of ultra high performance tires is improving, but it isn't the same as an all-season tire.

As a buyer of tires, you need to prioritize: grip, tread life, ride quality, price, and foul weather performance. You can't have them all as your first priority. Once you get your priority list in order, then you'll have an idea of which tires to buy.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:38 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Little confussion, you posted in the 997 Turbo Forum, but seem to be asking about 17" tires for a 993???? A lot of the 993 guys run low cost Sumi's, Hankooks, and Kumhos.

I'd still say MPSS.

If true dry traction is your goal, then I'd say Yoko AD08R.

Without knowing how you plan to use the car, most of this is moot.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:51 AM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll actually take the DWS over the last set of MPSSs I had, but it's been a very long time and the DWS was more recent, so probably apples to oranges...

FWIW, I'm still in love with just how a p-zero lets go at the limit, they just don't have a limit that's in the same range as anything that's up to date.

I really wish dunlop would do a star spec in the right size for the 997tt, but they don't. I've got the OEM potenza's now and they are OK, going to try the re-11's next. I can't quite justify a set of proxes r888 given the limited wear I suspect I'll get out of them, but I suspect that they are the correct tire for this car.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:35 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I've always liked the performance of the P-Zeros, it's the noise that I can't take. They become very noisy after a few thousand miles. I've never tried the Michelin PSS, but I'm very happy with the PS2.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:19 AM
vettenomore
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I've always liked the performance of the P-Zeros, it's the noise that I can't take. They become very noisy after a few thousand miles. I've never tried the Michelin PSS, but I'm very happy with the PS2.

+1 on the noise issue - I have P-Zeros on my car now and they are driving me nuts with the noise. I have 5/32nds on the front and 4/32nds on the back so I expect road noise at this point, but they were noisy when they were at 8/32nds. I'm hoping the Conti DWs I'm installing today will be as quiet and long-lived as the DWS were.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

New tires are always quiet and smooth. I'm sure you'll love them. It's interesting to compare different tires from the same manufacturer. Our Cayenne S came from the factory with Continental 4x4 Sport Contact summer tires. They were awful. They were noisy and the tread life was terrible. I replaced them with Continental Extreme Contact DWS and I loved them. They were quiet until the day that they were replaced due to tread wear.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:57 PM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Pzeros and then Michelin All Weather on my 2002 C4. Pzeros were great but only lasted about 12k miles. The All Weathers went about 30k. I now have MPSS on my TT. The Pzeros were so loud I thought I had rear end problems. The All Weathers were great for mileage but really didn't handle all that great for spirited driving. By far the MPSS tires are the best and I have 18k miles on them and they at 5/32nd on the front and rear. I did do a four corner alignment when I had them installed - last tires had prematurely worn on the inside of the rears.

Quick Reply: Tire question...