Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if i was porsche i would be embarrassed...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 12:39 PM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2012 TT has a combo of CF and Alcantara. The console, door ledges and Cup holder cover are CF and the center console armrest cover and steering wheel are Alcantara. The only CF issue I've had was when a Porsche mechanic working on the top put a knee on it, with the weight of his body, while installing the new top and cracked it. My car was under original warranty so Porsche replaced it - no questions asked.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:30 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Give it a couple of years
Old 08-20-2016, 04:42 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Carbon Fiber tub: belongs on a poster.

Carbon Fiber trim: belongs on a poser.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:58 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ This is true, CF interior serves no purpose except marketing
Old 08-21-2016, 08:38 AM
ru'
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
...I realized then I would never, ever get a car with any carbon fiber interior parts due to this. The last think I'd want to do is rest my arms on a sticky feeling, plastic interior body part. No thanks.... leather or a nice sturdy vinyl feels 10X better resting against my skin.
Not sure if they changed it, but there's nowhere on mine where you rest your body parts on carbon. Even the steering wheel has leather for where you normally grip it (okay, it is possible to hold carbon on the wheel, but not during normal driving). Door arm rest, centre console top etc. are all leather.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:07 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeRed
^ This is true, CF interior serves no purpose except marketing
Not always

Old 08-21-2016, 06:08 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TT-911
Not always

Well...

That's the frame of the seat so i guess it belongs to the comment above "carbon fiber tub: belongs on a poster"

But excellent one up-manship!
Old 08-21-2016, 09:18 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anonymoususer
Well...

That's the frame of the seat so i guess it belongs to the comment above "carbon fiber tub: belongs on a poster"

But excellent one up-manship!
+1^
Old 08-22-2016, 01:23 AM
ru'
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ru'
Not sure if they changed it, but there's nowhere on mine where you rest your body parts on carbon. Even the steering wheel has leather for where you normally grip it (okay, it is possible to hold carbon on the wheel, but not during normal driving). Door arm rest, centre console top etc. are all leather.
Update fwiw; I forgot about the handbrake - that's carbon so you do touch that during normal operation.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:34 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

When I ordered my TT I had perhaps - subject to personal taste and interpretation - more money than taste.

I have had the drivers side CF that faces up to the windshield delam 5 times. 3 paid by Porsche under original warranty and parts warranty, and 2 by me.

You can put the sun protector on every time you park, as I do. But the other 93K miles I have driven it, have to take it off.

I have come to look on this as a maintenance item, but yes, Porsche should be very ashamed. It's not the company it used to be, especially now that they have to help pay for VW's farkups.

And $8K for total water system rebuild should not happen either.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:47 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree Porsche CF is total crap. Had almost all mine replaced with CPO. Now they are failing again. Like the other posters my car is never in the sun. BMW CF is far superior to Porsche. Little by little I will replace the CF parts with leather.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:45 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Love CF wheels (Koneigsegg/GT350R) and CF seats. Looks cheap anywhere else imo.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:15 PM
phillipj
Drifting

I don't think my CF looks cheap. I have it on the doors and the E brake and shift ****. It looks tasteful against a black interior and it's just accents. If I ordered a car new I would not consider it. Not based on looks but based on durability. And of course it's just a marketing tool. I know people with BMW's and Merc's that have lots of CF in their interiors. Their's have never failed. AS we all agree here Porsche failed miserably with their CF. As with the Hydraulics for the rear spoiler. $3500 for parts to repair the wing is pure rape. I love my car but I curse Porsche frequently as well.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:17 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dstutler
My 2012 TT has a combo of CF and Alcantara. The console, door ledges and Cup holder cover are CF and the center console armrest cover and steering wheel are Alcantara. The only CF issue I've had was when a Porsche mechanic working on the top put a knee on it, with the weight of his body, while installing the new top and cracked it. My car was under original warranty so Porsche replaced it - no questions asked.
Can you post pictures of how the CF and Alacantra look together? I always imagined they would not mix well..
Old 11-09-2016, 03:34 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Porsche should be embarrassed".
After 46 Porsches over 43 years I feel compelled to report my Skoda has no carbon fibre, no IMS bearing, no cam chain, no timing belt, no water pump, no radiator, no frim fram and no doodle whopper, issues. Tuneups are at 200,000 intervals and cost $100. All repairs are in multiples of $60 whereas all my Porsche repairs are in multiples of $600.
My Suzuki Samarai is even better than the Skoda. The Skoda takes me all the same places the Porsches do and the Samarai takes me to places the Porsches can't dream of. Not at the same speed mind you but interestingly the Samarai gets more thumbs up and the Skoda more questions than most of the Porsches.
And yes, IMS, cam chains and timing belts, ad infinitum, should be embarrassing to Porsche.
Where is Ferdinand Piech (the top automotive genius of all time) when quality control and subcontract components are reviewed?
Hooked on Porsche but often wonder why.

Quick Reply: if i was porsche i would be embarrassed...