Sponsored by:

997TT as a GT on Stock Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 03:48 AM
JKay
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 997TT as a GT on Stock Suspension

Id heard the above said about the 997 a few times, and today finally understood what everyone means.

My 997TT was my first Porsche, and before I got it, I was expecting a really sharp precision tool, suitable for carving perfect lines into back country roads. I was then unable to bond with the car because it just didn't feel that sharp at all to me (acceleration is great tho). This isn't helped by the fact mine is a tip (wanted a manual C2S Coupe, ended up with a Tip Turbo Cab ). Owned for about 2 months now with stock suspension

Then today, on my way home from an early morning mid week blast, I decided to take it a little easy, and went at around 7/10th's instead of trying to go all out, and everything just seemed to fall into place. It felt like a fast, comfortable cruiser, capable of swallowing continents in its stride, and could also handle a few turns while at it.

Had a great time, and also found I personally much prefer driving it in M mode.

Feels kinda ****ty when you get a new Porsche (after wanting one for years), it not living up to expectations, but then feels good again when you finally start to bond with the car after that.

I am curious how others feel about their 997.1TT tho, do they feel sharp to you stock, or is it just me

Thanks

Name:  image_8.jpeg
Views: 316
Size:  175.3 KB
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 310
Size:  125.3 KB
Name:  pb.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  82.0 KB
Old 09-20-2016, 03:52 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Get yourself a dsc box, brings the stock suspension alive.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:58 AM
JKay
Instructor

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Get yourself a dsc box, brings the stock suspension alive.
Lol I wish you hadn't told me that, I went and did a search and want one now
Old 09-20-2016, 05:08 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts

I'd try that first. Is a must have upgrade. If that still doesn't do what you feel you need then swap in some GMG springs and/or the GT2RS rear sway bar. IMO the three are a great combination, alongside a more aggressive alignment, and as far as you need to go 99% of the time.

I had no baseline so can't comment on how it compares to other more focused cars, but I struggle to find fault with how my car drives. It devours tight B roads, and as you say cruises effortlessly along faster stretches of road. I find it very responsive to driver input and gives a great level of feedback.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:36 AM
JKay
Instructor

Originally Posted by nzskater
I'd try that first. Is a must have upgrade. I struggle to find fault with how my car drives. It devours tight B roads, and as you say cruises effortlessly along faster stretches of road. I find it very responsive to driver input and gives a great level of feedback.
Hey Nzskater

Are you running the box with stock suspension or have you got aftermarket springs?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2016, 07:26 AM
austx911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '09 C2S handled better and had more road feel. Between AWD, more weight and stock suspension my TT feels more like it's floating and has less road feel even in sport mode. I am going with DSC box, GMG springs and sways to help remedy the situation.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:36 AM
JKay
Instructor

Originally Posted by austx911S
I am going with DSC box, GMG springs and sways to help remedy the situation.
Im going to try the DSC Box with my stock springs first and see if I still want for more (GMG springs)
Old 09-20-2016, 07:40 AM
austx911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going with GMG springs to lower it one inch.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:37 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by JKay
Hey Nzskater

Are you running the box with stock suspension or have you got aftermarket springs?

Thanks
I'm running GMG springs. I kept it stock for 9 months, then added springs to reduce the floating/diving characteristics I didn't like so much, and to lower it a little. After doing so I found the ride a bit too harsh in Sport, and at that stage TPC had just started discussing the upcoming DSC, so in Oct '14 I picked up an early unit. Rate it highly.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:41 AM
JKay
Instructor

Originally Posted by nzskater
I'm running GMG springs. I kept it stock for 9 months, then added springs to reduce the floating/diving characteristics I didn't like so much, and to lower it a little. After doing so I found the ride a bit too harsh in Sport, and at that stage TPC had just started discussing the upcoming DSC, so in Oct '14 I picked up an early unit. Rate it highly.
Thanks matey. Just when I told myself I wouldn't be doing anything to this car except an exhaust...

Lets hope the DSC Box doesn't leave e wanting for more. It shouldn't from what I can see
Old 09-20-2016, 09:58 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

The lack of precision was one of the reasons I movd out the TT cab and into a Boxster Spyder. I found, when pushed hard, the TT would understeer etc... The Spyder? A precision machine that is almost TOO easy to drive!

All this being said, I miss the DD practicality of the TT and quite possibly would have been very happy with a DSC tweak. I had not heard of that option until now.

And so, I have started the (long?) journey of perhaps getting back into a low mileage, PCCB, good color and optioned TT cab.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:36 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 269 Posts

Suspension needs work. My biggest complaint is rear sway. Planning on RS bar; RS MM; and DSC. Not sure which order.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:03 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,260 Likes on 791 Posts

Is that a Macadamia Brown Metallic turbo cabriolet? It's hard to tell in the photos, but it appears to be so. Welcome to the Macadamia club!

I agree that the 997 turbo in stock form is an excellent GT car. It's a comfortable cruiser, but it can carve up the canyon roads when pressed. Looking forward to taking mine out on a fall color tour in the next couple of weeks.
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2016, 06:19 PM
JKay
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Is that a Macadamia Brown Metallic turbo cabriolet? .
Hello Dennis it certainly is indeed. Yours is now the only other one I know of (I know they exist just don't know where) I haven't seen any others around where I live so it's good to see another here on RL.

Are you running all stock suspension on yours ?
Old 09-20-2016, 06:24 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,260 Likes on 791 Posts

Mine is totally stock. I love the look of cars that are lower than stock, but it's just not possible for me. I live in the mountains and my car is so low at stock height that I frequently scrape on the ground. I am considering the DSC modification.

The Macadamia turbo is a pretty rare car. I've seen one other example, but there aren't many of them out there.

Quick Reply: 997TT as a GT on Stock Suspension