Sponsored by:

997 Turbo pricing: stable or dropping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by HellaHashTags
You're not going to find a lot of people on here who have had both a .1 and a .2.
Both platforms have their merits and you definitely won't be unhappy with either.
Objectively speaking, the 997.2TT was the Last manual Turbo made.
I haven't owned both but certainly have lots of seat time in both.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:03 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Looks like I'll have to try both then Thinking about an '09 Unicorn with the Mezger but also updated interior in 6MT.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:07 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Looks like I'll have to try both then Thinking about an '09 Unicorn with the Mezger but also updated interior in 6MT.
I went with the 2009
Old 06-09-2017, 03:51 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
Probably right, though FWIW, RL member 4ocious had both - a 2009TT and now a 2011TTS. I can't recall which posting, but I recall him providing a bit of comparison (though not entirely apples to apples, since latter is TTS, not TT). Perhaps he can chime in on differences and experience. Generally, I suspect most would say they've both incredible cars, but differences (e.g. Mezger ended 2009, .2's have less turbo lag, etc.).
Hi PorscheStrong, thanks for the intro-

Yes, I've owned both, a 2007 TT Tip coupe, a 2009 TT 6MT cab, and now a 2011 TTS PDK coupe. You've heard and read this before and I'm here to confirm that each car is different and each has it's strong and weak points.

First, my 2007 Tip. Great entry level car if you want a TT. It's solid, has a Mezger and is easily modified. I went down that path and soon discovered you must also upgrade your tiptronic transmission if you want it to keep pace with the increased HP and TQ. If you don't you'll be wondering when it was gong to automatically upshift/downshift or, you shift it manually and hope you get it right. I thought the PCM 2.1 was really archaic and swapped it out for a modern Kenwood unit that does interface nicely with the OEM fiber optic wiring harness. My 07 handled well (but not as good as my 08 MB CLK63 AMG Black Series) and straight line acceleration was impressive, especially in sport. But, it did start to reach its limits around 140 so a tune and exhaust certainly helps. It's comfortable and if I knew then what I know now I would opt for the sport-adaptive seats and a 6MT to better improve driver engagement. There's also been a lot of pro/con posts about PCCB's and LSD's but unless you're tracking I really don't think IMO they are worth the premium. But, if you have a choice between two equivalent cars for approximately the same amount choose the one with the better options. These cars are also made to be driven but if you own a tip watch out for leaking seals and also ensure you know when the plugs were last changed. If they haven't been changed in quite a while they may/will seize in the head and become a real problem to remove (I speak from experience).

Gotta run for now but I'll updating this thread later today and tomorrow.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:00 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I saw an 07 yesterday with the stock wheels...it's been so long since I've seen the stockers...they look sooooo tiny and date the car...car really needs 20s
Old 06-10-2017, 12:39 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
I went with the 2009
Me too, best of both
Old 06-10-2017, 12:32 PM
HellaHashTags
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeRed
Me too, best of both
debatable
Old 06-10-2017, 06:25 PM
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

However, there's a certain performance value proposition that 997 Turbos have that can't be ignored. For example, a .2 has 500 hp, 500 ft-lb, amazing AWD traction, weighs less than 3500 lbs, comes with three pedals, and can be had for less than six figures. How many other cars on the market (new or used) can make those claims for less money? The next best thing is a 997 GT2, which trades for double the price.

It isn't just a frenzied bull market or fetishist collectors keep the values steady, these are legitimate high-performance values to be had. We're not talking about dog-slow six-figure 300hp air-cooled cars here, we're talking about cars that still hold their own against the best cars money can buy.
agree with this, especially with some mods these cars can hold their own against 99% of the new stuff out there. pretty amazing given the platform is 10 years old now.

Originally Posted by raclaims
I saw an 07 yesterday with the stock wheels...it's been so long since I've seen the stockers...they look sooooo tiny and date the car...car really needs 20s
i actually don't mind the stock wheels that much but they do date the car a bit. i'd say wider 19's with coilovers are a must.

debatable
regarding the .1 vs. .2, i looked at both and almost pulled the trigger on a .2 with PDK. i just really wanted manual though so i waited and found a .1 that worked. i think you can't really go wrong with either and the .2 with PDK (at least stock) feels quicker but you miss that layer of interaction imo. especially given that im not trying to eke out the last few tenths on my way to work. my plan was to mod fairly heavily so a .1 made more sense anyway. i think if you were to keep mostly stock a .2 would probably be the way to go, and i can't fault anyone for getting a PDK as .2 manuals aren't easy to find and the PDK felt very nice (and fast!). if i was solely focused on runway events or something similar i would get a .2 with PDK and do the mods that longboarder guy did.

regardless, both great cars and we're lucky to have them. at the end of the day we're driving Porsche Turbos which is pretty cool when you think about it. everything else i could have bought new or used in this price range felt less special (M4, R8, C63, etc).
Old 06-12-2017, 04:49 PM
997TTEQNY
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I paid $74K for my car a year ago with about 33K miles.

At the time, I paid the premium because it was a low production color, with PCCB's, and had $30K+ of go fast mods on it.

I agree with the consensus that the pricing us relatively flat, but stable.

The point is moot for me since I can't seem to stop putting MORE money into it
Old 06-12-2017, 08:32 PM
Pro

ya i could care less about future values. i plan to keep and mod, car is too much fun to preserve for a future owner.

not to get political but if Trump institutes that 35% import duty on German cars as he has threatened things could get interesting for used German cars...
Old 06-14-2017, 09:41 AM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
ya i could care less about future values. i plan to keep and mod, car is too much fun to preserve for a future owner.

not to get political but if Trump institutes that 35% import duty on German cars as he has threatened things could get interesting for used German cars...
Same here, I've been modding very conservatively and keeping the stock parts but I've made up my mind I like this car too much to part. I wasn't aware of any potential 35% tax?? Guess my wife needs to get me in an AMG sooner than we thought
Old 06-14-2017, 10:43 AM
Pro

could be nothing, but you never know these days.

http://in.reuters.com/article/usa-tr...-idINKBN150187

Trump threatens German carmakers with 35 percent U.S. import tariff

U.S President-elect Donald Trump warned German car companies he would impose a border tax of 35 percent on vehicles imported to the U.S. market, a plan that drew sharp rebukes from Berlin and hit the automakers' shares.

In an interview with German newspaper Bild, published on Monday, Trump criticised German carmakers such as BMW, Daimler and Volkswagen for failing to produce more cars on U.S. soil.

"If you want to build cars in the world, then I wish you all the best. You can build cars for the United States, but for every car that comes to the USA, you will pay 35 percent tax," Trump said in remarks translated into German.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts

Looking for clean low mileage (less than 25k) sport chrono 09 MT from private owner. I'm an individual. No white, red or cabs please.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:44 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

debatable
Depends what you want....

997.1 definitely seemed more raw to me. Idling side by side, the .1 was more intense. Suspension in the .2 is definitely better.

What if they would have made a 997.1 Turbo S with a manual?
Old 09-07-2017, 09:12 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,268 Posts

I'm looking at an 08 997.1 TT with less than 10K miles and hoping the values stay stable for sure.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo pricing: stable or dropping?