Sponsored by:

Finally ditched PCM

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:03 PM
phsingl
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Finally ditched PCM

My 2008 had a bunch of aftermarket audio but still had the PCM 2.1 presumably as the last owner wanted to retain the OEM look.

I have PCM 3.0 in the Cayenne and it's *just* about tolerable with A2DP but the 2.1 is really out of the dark ages in the TT.

The previous owner had various Mobridge products to add iPod connectivity and to convert the MOST signal to analogue for aftermarket amp and crossovers/speakers. If I'm honest this seemed like a lot of money for minimal benefit...

I brought a Sony double din unit with Apple CarPlay, a harness for the 997 and RCA cables, Aerial adapter and trim pieces from Crutchfied and Amazon. Armed with a bunch of YouTube videos and tools I spent most of the day today buried in the footwells and frunk....

Didn't take enough pics to do a full write up but thought I'd share a few pics to explain my progress....
Old 07-08-2017, 08:15 PM
phsingl
Instructor

There are plenty of YouTube videos showing how to remove the PCM.

I used these 2 (note they don't always get the torx size right in the videos. Always worth a check)

Removing the left trim piece I used this pry tool to unclip the top clip
Old 07-08-2017, 08:27 PM
phsingl
Instructor

This set screw was really difficult to remove. It's not needed for the atermarket unit so I removed it completely- I'm not sure it's entirely necessary for the PCM....

There are 4 hex cam locks that should be turned 90 degrees anti clockwise. They retract the clips holding the PCM into the chassis but only 3 of mine worked...

I had to manually pry the lower right clip. It's accessible through the chassis. I pushed it with a flat head screwdriver to release the PCM

Last edited by phsingl; 07-08-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:34 PM
phsingl
Instructor

...meanwhile in the frunk. Removing all the trim is mostly screws and in the case of the side mounding a little bit of Velcro...Pulling the nav case vertical up reveals the DVD and possibly the Bose amp but as mine had been removed just the DVD nav... unclip the 2 connectors underneath and then press the 2 pink tabs either side to release and slide the unit up out of its chassis...

The chassis is attached to the bulkhead by these little buggers. Small flathead screwdriver and some patience pries them off. I'm not worried about the chassis cosmetics...

Another of the little buggers. There are 4 of them. Once complete you should open a beer to celebrate....
Old 07-08-2017, 08:41 PM
phsingl
Instructor

Testing the Sony unit. Note RCA cable is currently exiting the car via the passenger door and over into the frunk. Need to find out where we can route that into the bulkhead...

Previous install had used grommet behind the battery so I had to remove the battery and locate the loom. You can see in this pic it's the corrugated loom which handily is split so I can put he RCA in there.

Sadly the previous install enters the frunk behind the carbon filter so we need to remove that....
Old 07-08-2017, 08:48 PM
phsingl
Instructor

Complete removal of the carbon canister not necessary thankfully so just took off the top support and then lifted the canister out of the way enough to feed cables through....

Caron canister support is attached via a screw next to battery compartment which took me ages to find. It's the black screw partially removed above the amp power wire (blue)....

Temporary location for amp and crossovers. The fiberboard box is from the previous install. I will mount amp and crossovers where nav was and retain original cover for a more OEM look when I have a little more time. Also note the temporary switch mounted in one of the carpet trim holes to the left. There's no ignition switched power source in the frunk so as a temporary measure I have a manual switch to power the amp. I'll run a switched power trigger for the amp when I mount it properly next weekend.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:58 PM
phsingl
Instructor

Mounted the head unit with the trim plate from Crutchfield. Fit is pretty good but color match is not perfect in some lights...

Trim plate slightly lighter silver than OEM.

I ended up buying 2 trim plates as I had read issues with the color match. The second one here is a slightly better match but unfortunately it doesn't fit as well as the other one. I plan to get the whole stack painted black in the near future so I'm not too worried....

Remote bass control for the subs hidden in the lower cubby hole.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:10 PM
phsingl
Instructor

My photo documentation leaves a bit to be desired. The USB cable is routed into the glovebox and the phone can connect there. The microphone is tucked into the headliner at the top of the A pillar and the cable hidden. It's not quite finished but it's operational for the next week before I get more time to work on it further.

Initial impressions are that this makes the car feel like a contemporary vehicle. Not everyone wants to listen to music I know but when you do this now can deliver. Sound quality is excellent (Morel speakers and crossovers, Alpine PDX v9 amplifier) I no longer have the center speaker but I don't miss it at all. Sounds stage is much more forward than the PCM and the Sony supports much better EQ options.
More importantly I have integrated nav and streaming music capabilities with a 21st century UI...

Possibly not worth the hassle for everyone but I think I saved a good chunk of change doing it myself and learned plenty in the process.
If anyone has any questions I'm happy to help....
Old 07-09-2017, 06:50 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Very nice and you are right it makes it look modern. OEM stuff looks like from the 80's. I would do it but I would lose all my Porsche settings. I have the Denison so it's great
Old 07-10-2017, 09:22 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

great job! I got rid of mine within a year of ownership. Btw have any instructions on how to remove the 6-disk CD player?
Old 07-10-2017, 06:06 PM
phsingl
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
great job! I got rid of mine within a year of ownership. Btw have any instructions on how to remove the 6-disk CD player?
On my car the CD changer had already been removed to insert the mobridge unit into the MOST loop. I'm pretty sure I saw a removal DIY on here or 6speed previously. the CD changer cover is a pull-off (up if I recall) and the changer is attached to the frunk walls by 2x 8mm bolts. I used the front-most bolt as the earth source for the amp.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:09 PM
phsingl
Instructor

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Very nice and you are right it makes it look modern. OEM stuff looks like from the 80's. I would do it but I would lose all my Porsche settings. I have the Denison so it's great
I did some (limited) research and there were no settings I really cared for that I can no longer access.
If I track the car I'll use a proper lap timer so having Chrono data saved is not relevant for me.
The lost trip data is also not really something I care for, nor any personalised seat settings.

Are there other settings I missed that are critical (a bit late now I guess)?
Old 07-10-2017, 06:17 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Looks sharp...I found once I added the sat radio and bluetooth via nav tv and tooki that it works pretty well with the old stuff...but this does look good.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:35 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts

Removal is relatively straight forward, I wrote some notes on it in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...0&postcount=18
Old 07-11-2017, 04:06 PM
phsingl
Instructor

Originally Posted by nzskater
Removal is relatively straight forward, I wrote some notes on it in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...0&postcount=18
interesting that the Bose amp isn't mounted in the frunk on RHD cars...

Did you ever get a revised carpet from another Carrera to finish the floor? I assumed it would be the same size as C4S but interested in your experience...

Quick Reply: Finally ditched PCM