Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 04:12 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 344 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by 911ofborg
Is there a changeover model where SATA or IDE is used? I’d like to do this preventative update on my 2014 991. Ideally I’d order everything I need up front before exploring.
I'm trying to put together a list in the cayenne forum for the crossover date. My CTT is a 2012 and "was" an ide hdd. You are probably going to have to go on a recon mission and look to see what you have. I can get my drive out of the pcm in about 5 minutes now. It's not difficult.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:23 PM
kari
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 911ofborg
Is there a changeover model where SATA or IDE is used? I’d like to do this preventative update on my 2014 991. Ideally I’d order everything I need up front before exploring.
Based on all the cases I've run into, the ide drives were used until 2012 or early 2013.. since ur model is 2014, you should have a sata drive...

One way to know it is to check for the jukebox. It was introduced with the 100gb sata. Earlier models with no jukebox had a 40gb ide..
Old 08-06-2020, 10:42 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 870 Posts

2009 C2S 157K

Thanx man, with your help I did this in my 997.2. Write up here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...tructions.html

Peace,
Bruce in Philly
The following users liked this post:
kari (08-24-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 12:51 AM
911ofborg
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
I'm trying to put together a list in the cayenne forum for the crossover date. My CTT is a 2012 and "was" an ide hdd. You are probably going to have to go on a recon mission and look to see what you have. I can get my drive out of the pcm in about 5 minutes now. It's not difficult.
Time to go exploring. Might as well look into some CarPlay too. Doesn’t look too bad. I have just had bad luck with other cars breaking plastic tabs, never fun. Should be easier than the rear bumper, which isn’t too bad either just annoying. Really good info here hopefully can get some clone and enjoy the radio for decades to come. Or long enough for the car to become a classic and we get an OEM upgrade like the 996 folks with CarPlay
Old 08-22-2020, 02:44 PM
Shmigy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys! New to Rennlist. I'm also having a similar issue with my PCM restarting every 2.5 minutes. If someone is experienced and open to it, I would like to send my PCM to you to do the SSD swap and cloning. Among really anything to get my PCM back. I've had the fuse pulled for the past few months. Ever now and again I would plug it back in and do the vehicle hand over with no success. Even called Sirus numerous times to send a cancellation signal.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:35 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is yours a 2010? I was in the same situation. I cloned my drive and it still rebooted every 2 minutes. Found the rebooting stopped if I removed the hard drive (no more GPS), or if I removed the Sirius card from the PCM.

I ended up pulling the hard drive. To offset the loss of factory GPS, I purchased the Joyeauto CarPlay kit, so I’ve got Waze on the PCM, which I like better.

Originally Posted by Shmigy
Hey guys! New to Rennlist. I'm also having a similar issue with my PCM restarting every 2.5 minutes. If someone is experienced and open to it, I would like to send my PCM to you to do the SSD swap and cloning. Among really anything to get my PCM back. I've had the fuse pulled for the past few months. Ever now and again I would plug it back in and do the vehicle hand over with no success. Even called Sirus numerous times to send a cancellation signal.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:49 PM
Shmigy
3rd Gear

Actually it is a 2010! I’d be happy to remove anything, especially since I don’t use GPS or Sirius, in order to get my rear view camera and ability to Bluetooth my phone again. I just don’t know what any of these those things you mentioned look like.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:23 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

The HDD is probably the easiest to remove. Getting the PCM out will be the hardest part. There are instructions on how to pull the PCM and remove the hard drive here. After removing it, you can just put the cover back on and re-install the PCM. It fixed the reboot on mine.

Actually it is a 2010! I’d be happy to remove anything, especially since I don’t use GPS or Sirius, in order to get my rear view camera and ability to Bluetooth my phone again. I just don’t know what any of these those things you mentioned look like.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:17 PM
GRIEHL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wait a sec.............you had a constant reboot issue and you removed the hard drive all together and it was fine?

Here is my situation:
- 2014 Pani 4
- 3.1 PCM with nav and sat
- when I bought it I was aware that the PCM would reboot every 2 minutes
- I was told it was after the XM update but not sure about about
- removed PCM, took it all apart
- removed XM board with no change
- bought a used PCM (same PN) and swapped hard drives, I had the same resut
- sent the hard drive out to get looked out and hopefully repaied
- I was told it was corrupted beyond repair

What options do I have?

thanks folks!
Old 08-30-2020, 11:15 AM
Shmigy
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Mike Murcia
The HDD is probably the easiest to remove. Getting the PCM out will be the hardest part. There are instructions on how to pull the PCM and remove the hard drive here. After removing it, you can just put the cover back on and re-install the PCM. It fixed the reboot on mine.

Mike Murcia, Our PCM's don't need to have their hard drive to function?
Old 08-30-2020, 11:57 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Mike Murcia, Our PCM's don't need to have their hard drive to function?

Mine has been running great without it. XM, AM/FM, camera, etc all work. My understanding is that the HDD is used for GPS and jukebox functionality, at least on my 2010. I now use the CarPlay upgrade for GPS, so I’m not missing the drive.

Some newer models might rely on the drive for other features, but it was only causing a problem with my car, triggering the reboot cycle after the Sirius XM debacle.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:41 PM
wvanderclock
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jslo - Thank you for all of your posts on this. I need some help but can't figure out how to contact you directly.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:33 PM
Martynoonan
1st Gear

Default PCM RESET Video

This is a link to an excellent Macan PCM reset video that applies to most PCM's. Try these steps first before replacing the hard drive.
'
I rest my 2009 Cayenne S PCM using this technique. I will let you know if it solves the problem of rebooting.
Cheers,
Marty

Originally Posted by jslo
QUICK NOTE!!!!!

Apparently there is an issue that recently came up as of 5/20/20. Something about XM service causing a reboot. Try this first, before assuming the hard drive is dead:

Start car or just turn to "accessory"
Push "CAR" on the PCM
Push "Option" > Set PCM System > Reset PCM System > Vehicle Handover > Yes > Yes

All preset and bluetooth settings will be erased as well as saved addresses, and any music on your jukeBox, but it will stop the rebooting issue.
-------------------------------------
If you are still having problems after this, then you should look into whether or not your hard drive is dead.
vvv

I've cross-posted this in a couple of places so sorry if it's redundant, but last week my PCM (3.1, 2014 Cayman S) was on the fritz. The Nav stopped working, and the unit kept rebooting every 5-10 minutes. I tried "resetting" it by pulling the fuse for 30 minutes or so, but that didn't resolve the issue. I then tried re-applying the 4.76 update via the DVD, but the update would fail about 90% of the way through with an error that it couldn't write files, and then the system just kept rebooting in to emergency update mode.

As a hail marry, I pulled out the drive (it's a 100GB sata 2.5 inch drive located at the top of the unit.) to see if I could get my pc to at least see it. Sure enough I was able to see the partitions, so I ran some diagnostics on it. These came up with bad blocks.

I ran down to Best Buy and grabbed a 120 gb PNY solid state drive off the shelf for $20. Using Clonezilla, I cloned the failing drive to the new SSD. There were a few bad blocks on the old drive, but it was mostly successful. I was primarily trying to get the boot sector anyway. Inserted the cloned SSD into the unit and bench booted it. It did boot into emergency update mode again (I suspected it would), but I popped the update disc in figuring "what's the worst that could happen?"

The update ran completely and successfully! I popped the entire unit back in the car and everything works flawlessly. It didn't copy over my jukebox files, but the nav, saved destinations, phone settings, presets, and even my lap recordings all copied over. Overall the unit seems a little quicker and more responsive - likely as a result of the SSD - and I suspect the SSD will be more reliable as it's less sensitive to vibration and heat than the traditional drive that was in there. If your PCM hasn't failed yet, perhaps this would be a preventative measure? The SSD was $20, and the Software Update disc is another $23 shipped. It may not be needed for straight clones, but as my drive was stuck in emergency update loop anyway, it was a necessity for me. Still, for under $45 seems like it would be an opportunity to save some cash in the long run vs. a Porsche replacement. I also imagine with proper access to the OS (QNX), storage partitions could be expanded (fdisk), or you could even create a new partition of a different type on any available space.

I did order a full replacement unit as a last resort, so I'll experiment with that unit a little to see exactly what might be required.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:57 PM
spencer mains
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jslo
I have SSDs on-hand and can definitely get you backed up. If your drive still works, I can just clone the drive itself, which would save you on shipping and the worry of sending the whole unit. I'd include an update disc as well when I send it back, just in case it's needed when you re-install the drive. I recently did my new-to-me Cayman as soon as I picked it up and didn't need to to the update. Just dropped the drive back in place, and powered up the unit. I typically pull the fuse before I muck about with the head unit just be safe. The hard drive can be removed without actually disconnecting the entire head unit as well. Just need to pull it far enough out to access the two screws on the top of the unit.

I'd charge you like $80 to just do the drive, which would include the cost of the new ssd, my time to clone your drive, and the update disc. You can ship it to me and include a return label. We could do $40 up front and another $40 when I ship it back to you.

It's way cheaper than a replacement unit. I was looking on ebay the other day and they are over $6k. I think they are at least $4600 from Porsche if they can actually get them.
I just took shipment of a 2016 981...the PCM was rebooting ever 4 min. I took to Porsche and they said it’s a total failure and the car was about 3 weeks out of warranty. Anyway, everything documented here apply to my 2016 PCM if I try to fix myself?
Old 09-19-2020, 08:13 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 344 Likes on 240 Posts

Xx

Last edited by twodollardoug; 09-22-2020 at 01:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD